Status
Not open for further replies.
Any Experiences with:

Reliability?(turbo, transmission, etc?)
Fuel Economy
Ease of Maintenance

Thanks

Thinking out next car maybe either a 2014 Malibu 2.5 or a 2015 Cruze 1.4T

Some of them have "start stop", which I hear can be incredibly annoying since Chevy doesn't give the option to turn it off. Do people ride in the back seat? The Cruze is a small car, not much room back there.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Some of them have "start stop", which I hear can be incredibly annoying since Chevy doesn't give the option to turn it off. Do people ride in the back seat? The Cruze is a small car, not much room back there.

I'm in a car with start stop on a short term basis. It's not bad and in a situation where you want to be able to smack the gas and go you can pump the brakes quick and it will restart and not turn off.

Not sure how I'd feel about that on a car every day.

The Cruze turbo runs like garbage in hot weather unless you run high octane. It can get horrible hesitation and totally lack acceleration. In my area, the difference in cost of the high octane considerably outweighs the small uptick in mileage, so your cost per mile goes up when you run high octane.

The manual transmissions have issues where the bearings in the transmission whine. I had mine replaced under warranty, but it took some doing, because dealers often claim "I can't hear it."

The back seat is tiny. The trunk is decently sized, though.

They are on the lower end of the spectrum as far as reliability goes. They have problems with the cooling systems and some other areas.

On the good side, they drive really well. The Cruze is a huge step up over past GM small cars when it comes to driving dynamics. They have a pretty good manual transmission, too.

They depreciate like crazy, which is good if you're buying used. I got a CPO used one with 40k miles for about half the original MSRP.

So whether it's a good vehicle for you depends on what you want. I was willing to trade some reliability for good driving dynamics and a whole lot of value.

They seem to have decent pickup. Some a-hole cut me off in one this morning while coming to work and made sure to turn around to give me the bird.

Get the Malibu haha

I own a 2014 Cruze 1.4T ECO. It has the manual transmission. Overall I really like the car, but like stephen9666 said, it runs horrible in hot weather unless you run at least 89 octane. I can tell it runs even better with 93 octane and calculated mpg is much better in warmer weather with higher octane fuel even though the onboard computer would lead you to believe there isn't much difference in mileage, but there is.

The only issues I've had were the following:
A squeaky clutch pedal which was fixed with updated parts and has not returned.
Broken passenger visor mirror cover, probably broke in the first use. Fixed under warranty.
Clip holding the rod to the turbo waste gate valve broke or fell off. Fixed goodwill by the dealer past warranty. GM says the turbo is covered, but not parts attached to it?

I have changed the trans fluid with Amsoil Synchromesh annually since I've bought it. Improves shifting and supposedly lasts longer. For 2.25 qts a year, I just change it yearly (25-30k miles). Changing the trans fluid on the MT is very easy.

Oil changes are pretty easy as well. I've done one UOA and it was pretty good looking with PP and supports the OLM. I feel good running it down to 0%. I may push it farther once out of the power train warranty.

I really like the ride and handling. Quiet and good fuel economy. I get 35 mpg winter, 40 mpg summer per my calculations. I drive 40 miles one way to work with a mix of city driving in there. On the highway I try to keep it below 70. Long trips at 75 mph gives 40+ still as long as it is all highway.

Originally Posted By: WishIhadatruck
I really like the ride and handling. Quiet and good fuel economy.

This is another good point I forgot to mention. The Cruze is really quiet on the highway compared to a lot of small cars.

I have a 50 mile round-trip commute daily. My lifetime (22,977 miles) MPG is 32.3

The start stop is garbage in those cars. The seats are equally god awful.

Mpg is very good, handling is surprisingly spirty, but I wouldn't buy one.

ETA: it is a very quiet small car. But it has Chevy suspension so rhythmic bumps play [censored] with it. A sectioned bridge the other night in the rain actually lead to the traction control coming on as the bounce was bad enough to unload the front wheels.

Last edited:
Yeah the one I test drove in August was a CPO 2014, it hesitated a lot (makes sense with hot weather).

A/C sucked too. My Camry blew its doors off as far as A/C. The salesman said everyone says that about Cruze A/C, that it always lacks in all of them.

Cruze is way to small And under powered. I hear the turbo's go out after the 100k powertrain warranty. the DI 2.5L in the malibu is way better. Start/stop takes time to get use to. Sales man tried to get me to get one when i was shopping for a new car. Would never downgrade to a Cruze, even the new ones. Love my malibu and glad i chose it.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Has anyone here had any experience with the diesel model? To just look at the spec's it appears to be a good idea for a commuter.

The first gen Cruzes don't have manual+diesel. Second gen will have diesels and manual together.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
A/C sucked too. My Camry blew its doors off as far as A/C. The salesman said everyone says that about Cruze A/C, that it always lacks in all of them.

I live in the southern plains where it's very hot in the summer and I have no complaints about the AC.

I also haven't read this on Cruze Talk, but I've never searched for it because I've been happy with the AC.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Has anyone here had any experience with the diesel model? To just look at the spec's it appears to be a good idea for a commuter.

i thought we had 2 posters post some longer reviews of the model they bought from brand new...
Sciphi? help, pretty please?

Originally Posted By: 2James1
Any Experiences with:

Reliability?(turbo, transmission, etc?)
Fuel Economy
Ease of Maintenance

Thanks

Thinking out next car maybe either a 2014 Malibu 2.5 or a 2015 Cruze 1.4T

I've had my '15 Cruze LTZ RS only for about a month now so I can't speak much to its reliability but everything works so far.
Fuel economy - I haven't checked the DIC for avg mpg but coming from a '00 Acura 3.3TL, I love my Cruze's fuel economy.
Ease of Maintenance - I've already done an oil change and a trans fluid change; both were easy (and I bet my mechanical aptitude is not as high as most on this board). PS is electric so no PSF to worry about.

A friend of mine has a 2015 Cruze turbo (gas). I'm not sure which model though, but I don't think it has the start/stop feature. He had one as a rental and loved it so much they leased one for his wife. He says it rides excellent and has seemless power and great fuel economy.

I test drove a 2016 Cruz a several months ago. It was a white RS package car that was fairly well equipped.
Generally I like my cars quiet, but that 1.4 turbo was working about as hard as my 2.0 in the Focus (and made the same amount of noise).

Combine that with a ride comparable with my Focus as well as NVH that's also similar, and you get a car that's no better than my current DD.

I was totally unimpressed with the Cruz after that test drive. I went in expecting more, but got less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back