Cruise Control for a Maverick XL

This isn't going to be a how-to on it, since there are plenty out there. But not everyone that might be thinking about an XL version of the trucklett knows that you can add factory cruise control to them for around $100-120.

Ford in their great wisdom (At least for 2022) decided that cruise control would not be an option in the XL series Maverick. Too bad that the solution already exists to fix that problem.

Buy yourself the steering wheel controls from an Escape, or the whole steering wheel if you can find one in the junkyard. New parts will cost you about $90ish depending on where you get them.

The only other thing you need is Forscan and a suitable OBD2 dongle, and the will to mess with your trucks programming. Admittedly, even though I've done a few things with Forscan, this is still the part that makes me clench up the most, but that said, I've never had a problem with it.

Swap the switches, edit 3 lines in Forscan, and you are good to go. Less than an hour start to finish.

New switches installed in steering wheel.
IMG_20220915_233851747.jpg

Cruise control active.

IMG_20220915_235739708.jpg

Very good how-to video and the one I followed.

I'm amazed that cruise control isn't standard on everything. We had a fleet who specifically ordered multiple 22MY Super Dutys without cruise, call and want to add cruise. Ford has no approved method that dealers can do, there is no accessory, so we punted. They didn't order the trucks from us thankfully.

Cool info, thanks. How do you like the truck?

It's actually my mom's truck. I'm just babysitting it for a bit until her lease is up on her Subie and then it will take over daily duties for her.

I've driven it a bit now and have to say, I enjoy how it drives. Certainly more car and less trucklike (Compared to my Ranger). The 8-speed is a good bit less dim-witted than my 10R80, however, the engine doesn't have the punch that my 2.3L does. It still makes good power, but my 2.3 just feels as if there is a lot more there in the mid-range. Not a bad thing mind you, just different. Just tuned differently I suspect to work better with 8 speeds instead of 10.

For a homeowner, I think this thing could be a home run. Buy a trailer to go with it and you've got a setup that can haul just about anything you'd need for the DIY'er. Yea, maybe you'd need to make 2 trips for your load of mulch, but still better than dealing with a rental or delivery.

I have been REALLY wishing my wife would grow to like it, I'd love to put her in a hybrid, it would be perfect for her, but sadly she doesn't want a truck at all.

Last edited:
I'm amazed that cruise control isn't standard on everything. We had a fleet who specifically ordered multiple 22MY Super Dutys without cruise, call and want to add cruise. Ford has no approved method that dealers can do, there is no accessory, so we punted. They didn't order the trucks from us thankfully.
I've been wondering if there are some dealers that might back door a few installs. I'm sure the official Ford position is no, but it is so easy I wonder if they'll try to do them 'aftermarket'. I'd 100000% rather have it done this way than the Rostra kit that makes you add an ugly stalk to the truck.

Don't you love when people buy a vehicle that doesn't have the options they want at another dealer, then immediately bring it to you to ask a million questions on how to add/change to the options they do want? At least it makes it easier to say no.

It's marketing to shame people into a higher trim line. Make the base model just annoying enough.

It's the same as giving the base model hand crank windows when now, due to economies of scale, power windows are cheaper.

Reactions: D60
But oddly it comes with the LED and auto-dimming headlights. It really is a goofy mishmash on some of the things that the base model has and doesn't have.
The C-word did a lot of weird things to vehicle options. Had a customer yelling at me on the retail counter because his auto start-stop didn't work on his new F-150. I excused myself for a minute to go look up vehicle info. I pulled up his window sticker and one of the lines was "auto start-stop delete".

The C-word did a lot of weird things to vehicle options. Had a customer yelling at me on the retail counter because his auto start-stop didn't work on his new F-150. I excused myself for a minute to go look up vehicle info. I pulled up his window sticker and one of the lines was "auto start-stop delete".
Funny that someone would complain about that not working...on a truck. That's one of the things I 'ForScanned' off my truck right after I got it.

It's marketing to shame people into a higher trim line. Make the base model just annoying enough.

It's the same as giving the base model hand crank windows when now, due to economies of scale, power windows are cheaper.
I don't think power would be cheaper. The savings would come in not designing 2 systems and just building the most popular one. Nor would you have to install 2 different systems.

Just announced yesterday that the 2023 Maverick XL will have regular cruise control standard.

BTW Mavericks are cheaper new than used, at least right now.
I'd almost be willing to bet that they are saving money not having to make the extra basic switches. From what I can tell, those non-cruise switches are a Maverick only thing. The Escape and Bronco Sport don't use them, so probably cheaper to just use the cruise switches and flip the bits in the ECU. Plus they get to advertise a 'now standard' feature.

I'd almost be willing to bet that they are saving money not having to make the extra basic switches. From what I can tell, those non-cruise switches are a Maverick only thing. The Escape and Bronco Sport don't use them, so probably cheaper to just use the cruise switches and flip the bits in the ECU. Plus they get to advertise a 'now standard' feature.
Just announced this morning that the 2023 order banks will close next week. Pretty much sold out. Hurry if you want one.

Back