Crown Victoria wagging the dog at low speed

That is the best way I could describe it haha. At low speeds, I can feel what seems like the back end ever so slightly swaying side to side. at higher speeds I don't notice that, however between 60 and 72 mph there is definitely more vibration than there used to be. Could it be tires needing balanced?

I know I'll probably just need to look into things but any ideas on where to start would be very helpful!

My Sequoia started wagging its tail at highway speeds coming back from Detroit. Checked everything, didnt find anything obvious. It was minor and figured maybe it was the highway pavement or something. No bad vibration or anything. Did it again a few days later, nothing major just felt weird. Couple weeks later I was on I-65 passing the Corvette museum and it started wagging again. In the span of a mile or so it got worse in a dang hurry, suddenly felt like I was in hurricane winds. Then.... KABOOM. Left rear tire blew out.

New tires, no more wagging.

I had a Ford Explorer start doing what you describe. It was a bad rear wheel bearing. I jacked up the rear and found one wheel that had nearly an inch of end play. Surprisingly the bearing wasn't very noisy and I didn't notice until it started a little side to side boogie at certain speeds.

I had a Ford Explorer start doing what you describe. It was a bad rear wheel bearing. I jacked up the rear and found one wheel that had nearly an inch of end play. Surprisingly the bearing wasn't very noisy and I didn't notice until it started a little side to side boogie at certain speeds.
SRA or IRS?

I didn't even realize they employed a Watts (I'm only aware of some of the Durangos), but that could obviously make sense as it's essentially your "track bar"

Curious what OP finds

I agree with the tires.

My aunt had her 1970 Beetle restored a couple years ago and the shop put on some new cheap Sentury 195/65R15 rear tires. After that the car was all over the road. I took it to 3 different shops and they checked the alignment, suspension, steering etc and couldn’t figure it out. It was completely un-drivable above 45 or so. Was a bad brand new tire or two.

I agree with the tires.

My aunt had her 1970 Beetle restored a couple years ago and the shop put on some new cheap Sentury 195/65R15 rear tires. After that the car was all over the road. I took it to 3 different shops and they checked the alignment, suspension, steering etc and couldn’t figure it out. It was completely un-drivable above 45 or so. Was a bad brand new tire or two.
Way back around 2005 I got some 235/85/16s on an F350 from Peerless. The price for 4 was incredibly low but I just used the truck locally so I figured it would be ok.

Afterward the truck pulled hard left and I could never figure out how tires would cause a hard pull. Honestly, I don't recall if I tried rotating them, but it had not pulled before the new tires.

Update, found the problem. Nice when it shows itself 😁

20240528_171924.jpg

Back