Crossover/SUV tires on Pick-Up?

Very, very few half-ton pickups have a 2,000 pound payload capacity. So either you didn't read my post above correctly, or you are over loading your truck.
GVW for a 1500 GMC/Chev is 7,300 LBS. 2018 and older were 7,600 with the max trailer package. The 265/60/20s and 265/70/18s I took off a 2500 and 3500 found a new home on a new 1500 GMC SLT 8 years and almost 200,000 miles ago.

Besides load capacity, the tougher LT E-rated tires offer deeper treads, more plies and better puncture resistance.

Now look at your p-rated/SL load rated tire, what do you need a T,H or V speed rating for? Mall crawling or proving your manhood?

That's a pretty ignorant comment since people have all kinds of reasons for running E rated tires on ½ ton pickups. It usually has zero to do with "proving manhood". I do it for 2 reasons. #1, E rated tires last longer in my experience. I've never gotten more than 25K miles out of SL (4 PLY) tires. #2, is because I haul 2000 lbs of cargo in the bed whenever I need to...try that will SL tires.

If the GVWR allows for that much cargo capacity on P-rated tires then they are appropriate for that load. If the GVWR doesn't allow for that capacity, you are overloading the vehicle and thus a conscious hazard.

That's a pretty ignorant comment since people have all kinds of reasons for running E rated tires on ½ ton pickups. It usually has zero to do with "proving manhood". I do it for 2 reasons. #1, E rated tires last longer in my experience. I've never gotten more than 25K miles out of SL (4 PLY) tires. #2, is because I haul 2000 lbs of cargo in the bed whenever I need to...try that will SL tires.
It was an ignorant comment but consider the source and routine...

I agree with your assessment of E rated advantages and think they are perfect for folks that only occasionally haul heavier loads in half ton trucks. They do seem to last longer under such circumstances. Having had both E rated LT BFG AT and C rated Nitto on the same truck ( personal home improvement and landscape projects ) I have no doubt the E rated last longer. The trade offs of increased cost, unsprung weight and slightly worse mpg are well worth the advantages in durability gained for people like us. I don't think everyone needs E rated tires and anyone confusing phallus with logic shouldn't be taken seriously.

It was an ignorant comment but consider the source and routine...

I agree with your assessment of E rated advantages and think they are perfect for folks that only occasionally haul heavier loads in half ton trucks. They do seem to last longer under such circumstances. Having had both E rated LT BFG AT and C rated Nitto on the same truck ( personal home improvement and landscape projects ) I have no doubt the E rated last longer. The trade offs of increased cost, unsprung weight and slightly worse mpg are well worth the advantages in durability gained for people like us. I don't think everyone needs E rated tires and anyone confusing phallus with logic shouldn't be taken seriously.
The comment was an informed, not ignorant of the facts.
C-rated tires are in a class of their own. Quite often they have a lower load rating than XL tires, but without the high speed rating and have heavier deeper treads like the E-rated tires. Their unspring weight is somewhere in between the two.

I suppose you could crank the tire pressure up on a H rated XL tire and increase the load capacity for your 2 trips a year to the land fill or gravel pit, but in doing so you'll lose the factory speed rating.

Because of the increased tire weight I would avoid LT tires just for that unless they are really needed. All of the extra weight alone affects acceleration, braking, ride, fuel economy, noise, and price in the wrong direction. SUV/crossovers tires are just a marketing term like anything else. The tire can't tell the difference between a car, SUV, or truck. It's mostly about vehicle weight, load capacity, and pressure etc.

GVW for a 1500 GMC/Chev is 7,300 LBS. 2018 and older were 7,600 with the max trailer package. The 265/60/20s and 265/70/18s I took off a 2500 and 3500 found a new home on a new 1500 GMC SLT 8 years and almost 200,000 miles ago.

Besides load capacity, the tougher LT E-rated tires offer deeper treads, more plies and better puncture resistance.

Now look at your p-rated/SL load rated tire, what do you need a T,H or V speed rating for? Mall crawling or proving your manhood?
Payload- Many half-tons will reach max payload before max towing capability. My Silverado has a max tow rating of 9,600 pounds, yet the payload is 1,444 pounds. Realistically it can't tow 9,600 pounds. Therefore-no need for "E" rated tires.

Payload- Many half-tons will reach max payload before max towing capability. My Silverado has a max tow rating of 9,600 pounds, yet the payload is 1,444 pounds. Realistically it can't tow 9,600 pounds. Therefore-no need for "E" rated tires.
No need for a 55hp dirt bike either, but I have one anyway.

You need/want load rating or not …
But there are tires below E that are durable …

Back