Crooked dealer and a sick f350.

I have direct experience with 3 6.2s and all have been great but none have the 10 speed either. We own two and the third is a shop truck at work. One thing I’ve read repeatedly on ford forums is engine problems when in tow haul mode from the engine braking function revving the guts out of them when going down a hill. I take mine out of T/H when I start into a hill just to be safe. Other than that my only complaints are the terrible cab mounts on the older ones.

I didn't know I could do that. I did put it in tow mode for a brief second. All that did was make it shift harder and rev more.
On the column shifter, you can pull it down past "D" and into "M"; that puts the tranny into a manual shift mode. There are safeguards; you still cannot lug or over-rev the engine into the red rpm zone. But you can control all shifts inside of those parameters.

Pu the shifter into "M", and then use the little rocker switch marked with a "+" and "-" to shift up on down. This rocker switch is located on the column shifter.

The rocker switch can also be used to "lock out" higher gears when desired. When driving in "D" mode, you can rock the switch up or down and it will present a series of numbers on the dash display, indicating the current gear you're in. Then you can "lock out" the higher gears by tapping down (-) to lock out 10th gear, then again for 9th gear, then again for 8th gear .... you get the idea.

What you're describing almost sounds like the truck is somehow having shifting issues; tranny related probably due to TCM inputs and sensor inputs being out of range. It's not the engine; it's a gearing control issue by what you describe.

Update: the dealer cut all the wires to the upfitter switches for the various things that were added on and did not bother to fix them or even tell us. Guy gets to the job site and nothing worked
just wow.. unreal the level of crooked they're pulling.. not to mention so-called "incompetence".. to me.. the cutting is more like revenge.. :oops:

{snip}

I and my friend both have towable RVs. Never had a power issue whatsoever, even going through the Rockies. He came from a 6.8L v-10; that old Mod engine is way under-square and really doesn't rev out well. So when he got into the 6.2L, I told him to order 4.30 gears and be ready to spin the engine up when he needed "oomph". Now that he's understanding of how to utilize the 6.2L engine properly, he likes it more than the older v10, and he get's slightly better mileage to boot!
I realize I'm quoting a bit older post here but this was exactly my experience. The 3V V10 is horrendous when towing (I had 5R110 and 4.10s). The go-slow pedal is basically binary: off or on. Because it's so gutless there's near zero modulation within the travel of the pedal -- if you're into the throttle 20% you might as well be into it 90% because there's no discernible difference.

In contrast my 6.2/6R140/4.30 is WAY WAY better, but it's still no diesel or even close. However on the same grades in the Rockies (which is home for me) with the same loads it pulls harder, has far better throttle response and modulation, and gets better mileage.

Around town I'll lock out the top two or three gears so it's not lugging 6th at 35mph

Regardless, with all these new gassers you need to adjust your brain to spinning the motor fast and for extended periods if towing. They don't even begin to wake up until 3k rpm and that's just the start.

I realize I'm quoting a bit older post here but this was exactly my experience. The 3V V10 is horrendous when towing (I had 5R110 and 4.10s). The go-slow pedal is basically binary: off or on. Because it's so gutless there's near zero modulation within the travel of the pedal -- if you're into the throttle 20% you might as well be into it 90% because there's no discernible difference.

In contrast my 6.2/6R140/4.30 is WAY WAY better, but it's still no diesel or even close. However on the same grades in the Rockies (which is home for me) with the same loads it pulls harder, has far better throttle response and modulation, and gets better mileage.

Around town I'll lock out the top two or three gears so it's not lugging 6th at 35mph

Regardless, with all these new gassers you need to adjust your brain to spinning the motor fast and for extended periods if towing. They don't even begin to wake up until 3k rpm and that's just the start.
They are engineered to rev high-when towing. I agree.

It's significantly oversquare; it's made to rev and not lug.... And that is why an I 6 engine like the 4.9L/ 300ci is abetter application in a truck
HP is simply a function of torque and RPM… hence, if you can make torque at higher RPM you will get more HP. Simple.

Which would you rather have? An engine with 400 ft-lbs at 1600 rpm and a 3200rpm redline, or an engine with 400 ft-lbs from 3500-5500 and a 6k redline? I know which one I’d take for driving enjoyment, and it ain’t the one that’s shifting at 2800rpm no matter what.

I have direct experience with 3 6.2s and all have been great but none have the 10 speed either. We own two and the third is a shop truck at work. One thing I’ve read repeatedly on ford forums is engine problems when in tow haul mode from the engine braking function revving the guts out of them when going down a hill. I take mine out of T/H when I start into a hill just to be safe. Other than that my only complaints are the terrible cab mounts on the older ones.
Ford does have a weird idea on engine braking. I rented a Ford Flex a while back and when on cruise and a downhill pushes it past the set point, it downshifts to what feels like close to redline and sits there until it slows down. A long downhill and the thing is revving to the moon for a long time.

Ford does have a weird idea on engine braking. I rented a Ford Flex a while back and when on cruise and a downhill pushes it past the set point, it downshifts to what feels like close to redline and sits there until it slows down. A long downhill and the thing is revving to the moon for a long time.
Overall for me the engine braking in Tow Haul on the 6R140 is appreciated but long grades I just stick it M and choose my gear(s). Pretty much exactly like driving a manual transmission except you don't use your left foot.

I grew up in a ford family, so just kept buying fords myself.
Finally had enough of their junk, and started buying Ram pickups, which have been great.

I grew up in a ford family, so just kept buying fords myself.
Finally had enough of their junk, and started buying Ram pickups, which have been great.
I think there was a lot of this. Basically '03-10 most or all of their truck line was garbage simply because of powerplants.

The 3V Triton came out in '04, the legendary 6.0 and 6.4 diesels ran '03-10.

Finally in '11 Ford got it back together (mostly) but that's a long time to have HUGE engineering flaws in your F-series. I don't think Ford makes much money on their cars or vans -- the F-series is their bread and butter.

Had a 2020 f350 with a 6.2 and 10 speed transmission throw the wrench light up on the dash 3 weeks ago. It also had a few other things going on.

I took it to the dealer. Dealer called and said the transmission was bad and that it needed a clock spring behind the steering wheel.

Both under warranty.

Took a few days to get the new transmission shipped out.

Btw did I mention that it only has 31000 miles on the truck?

Dealer called yesterday said the truck was ready but it needed a battery. Odd as I put a new battery in it 7 months ago.

Battery is still under warranty so I told them I'd handle that. The girl kept pushing for a battery until I said I will bring one. Then she gave up .

Picked the truck up and drive it the 50 miles back to where I work. I was greeted with a check engine light about 10 miles from work.

Code is for the throttle pedal sender.

I cleared it and tested the battery which tested good. Not the first time this dealer has tried to upsell something we didn't need. A few months ago it was brakes. Brakes with 3/8 inch of pad left.

I'm here to tell everyone that the 6.2 in that truck is terrible! Come to a hill and it downshifts, revving to 5600 rpm and not going any faster and never shifts up till over the hill. What a joke!

The guy that normally drives the truck says he hates it and I see why.
Is there a different dealer you could use? My Ford dealer is good. I only use them for warranty. Anything else goes to my local shop. I almost go for everything but just can't quite go and pay for what warranty covers free. Anyway, we have 7 dealers in a 20 mile radius and 17 in 30 miles radius. Hopefully you can find a better dealer for when you have to go.

Is there a different dealer you could use? My Ford dealer is good. I only use them for warranty. Anything else goes to my local shop. I almost go for everything but just can't quite go and pay for what warranty covers free. Anyway, we have 7 dealers in a 20 mile radius and 17 in 30 miles radius. Hopefully you can find a better dealer for when you have to go.
The local dealer won't do bigger trucks. The next closest is 40+ miles away 1 way the wrong direction. They have a different truck right now. We shall see how they do

The local dealer won't do bigger trucks. The next closest is 40+ miles away 1 way the wrong direction. They have a different truck right now. We shall see how they do
That's too bad about no dealer choices. Hopefully the different truck will resolve all the problems and it will be moot.

I have a 2018 with the 10 speed. I had the dealer re-flash the transmission software and it improved the overall performance, It still gives me an occasional rough downshift at low speeds but once it hits 6th it works really well.

With a couple of exceptions, every Ford dealer I have dealt with has gone out of their way to do everything possible to p*ss me off.
My god, same here, I dealt with an absolutely TERRIBLE one here in LA (Star Ford), here is my Yelp review- still infuriates me.

I wasn't planning on writing this review but as I keep finding issues related to my car being serviced at Star Ford last summer I feel I should let others be aware as it continues to infuriate me. In July 2018 I took my 2018 Shelby GT350 with 7k miles in to have the engine replaced, it had a mechanical failure which apparently isn't an uncommon thing with these vehicles. It took nearly 3 weeks for Star Ford to even get around to inspecting the car and having Ford approve a new engine via warranty, I had to call in regularly to see what was happening as their level of contact was rather minimal.

After 6 weeks of the car being down, I go to pick it up. This is what I find:

1) A nick in the driver's door handle.
2) A nick in the dashboard.
3) A scrape on the rear bumper.
4) The interior was absolutely FILTHY with trash in it from working on the car and a layer of dust from presumably having the windows down for weeks at a time.
5) The driver-side wiper was misadjusted too high and missing the cap on the nut.

Needless to say for a premier car by Ford I was thoroughly disappointed.

Now over time, I have noticed other issues related to their work such as:

1) Damaged washer fluid hose from removing the hood.
2) Improper clips over the battery cover.
3) Steering wheel came loose while driving! For some reason they had to replace the clock spring behind the steering wheel when the car was in their hands, they obviously didn't properly tighten down the steering wheel nut. This is a serious one and could've resulted in an accident.

Frankly I am surprised the engine is even bolted in correctly at this point (maybe it isn't), needless to say I would avoid their service department at all costs. Maybe their sales team is fine but this would be the worst experience I've ever had with a dealer in regards to service.

Also, I found out later on that they failed to even bolt down one of the nuts on the engine mount, literally was just missing. How can a shop be so bad- especially with what is a cool car. Galpin Ford wanted $500 to fix some "oil leak" but couldn't specify furthermore or give me a part name/number. Only Sunrise Ford didn't try to take advantage of me, just nuts this happens.

Back