Credit where due! Walmart delivers.

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
So the 2002 Xterra needed new tires. When I bought the X in January of 2015 it was to be a trail toy to explore the backroads and offroad in our area. At that time I put on Cooper AT3s in 265/75-16, roughly a 32" tire and the largest you can run without lifting or trimming. Winter driving wasn't a thing as we lived at lower elevation and never got snow. They worked fine but as time went on we did less exploring and it ended up on long term loan to daughter as a 2nd car. No big deal we still had plenty. Well the X came back to us and ended up as our 2nd vehicle after I sold the '14 RAV4 for good money and the '86 Samurai for real good money. With around 30k miles on the tires mostly around town the sharp edges were all gone and I knew they weren't going to be much good on bad roads this winter. I didn't really want to spend a lot on tires as I don't know how much longer we'll own it but wanted A/Ts and after hunting around found Goodyear Wrangler Trailmark AT tires at Walmart on early Black Friday special for $103 apiece. These are a Walmart exclusive tire, USA made, I think they're an older tire design that are being made now just for Walmart. Cooper is doing the same with the old Discover AT.

I've been skeptical of Walmart Auto Centers since in our previous town I had worked briefly with a guy who was bottom of the barrel skill and ambition wise, things got slow, he got laid off and went to work at the Auto Center there and worked there for years. And of course the stories here. Anyway, I gambled and ordered 5 in the stock diameter since the spare was junk and now almost 20 years old. The tires took a couple of days longer than promised to show up at the Walmart (no big deal) and I was there Tuesday at 8am when they opened and was first in line. They said about an hour so I got the items on the list I was handed by my boss and came back in an hour and it was done, almost. I had dropped the spare at home and really didn't look it over and it turns out it was a 15" wheel/tire, tread 3/4 gone so it must have replaced the original spare at some point. Oh well, looked the wheels over, paid up and drove home. No new scratches on the wheels and rode smoothly, more than I can say for my last visits at Discount Tire, the Nissan garage, and a local indie. Went to the local U-pull-it and found a 16" steely and brought it and the new tire back this morning and had it mounted up. All had identical born on dates of 3121, happy with that. Had it to 65 today and no shakes.

For $675 all in I got 5 USA Goodyear 245/75-16s mounted and balanced and a steel wheel. Lug nuts at correct torque, tire pressures varied 3 psi high to low, easy fix. My opinion of Walmart Auto Center has gone up substantially, I was expecting to have to have something corrrected at the least. The service writers were pleasant and they were on time. Well done Prescott Walmart.(y)

trailmark.jpg

They did fine by me when I had a set mounted for my sister's car and my loose tire purchases have also been pleasant experiences-- price and quality.

It's been said the whole schtick behind the WM TLE is to strand your car there for an hour or two so you shop inside the profitable store.

My Walmart TLE experiences have all been like this. I buy my tires there specifically so if I have a problem out of town there is always a local Walmart around to address the issue.

I change my oil at home but would have no problem with advising my out of town kid to go there for service.

I thoroughly convinced the nay sayers here have blown their experiences out of proportion. That doesn't mean that bad experiences don't occur, as I'm sure they do. I've just never met anyone personally that has described a bad experience.

Reactions: hrv
Just got a set of loose tires done by WM. Excellent job and cheapest around at $110.00 I dropped them off and went elsewhere for a couple hours.

So the 2002 Xterra needed new tires. When I bought the X in January of 2015 it was to be a trail toy to explore the backroads and offroad in our area. At that time I put on Cooper AT3s in 265/75-16, roughly a 32" tire and the largest you can run without lifting or trimming. Winter driving wasn't a thing as we lived at lower elevation and never got snow. They worked fine but as time went on we did less exploring and it ended up on long term loan to daughter as a 2nd car. No big deal we still had plenty. Well the X came back to us and ended up as our 2nd vehicle after I sold the '14 RAV4 for good money and the '86 Samurai for real good money. With around 30k miles on the tires mostly around town the sharp edges were all gone and I knew they weren't going to be much good on bad roads this winter. I didn't really want to spend a lot on tires as I don't know how much longer we'll own it but wanted A/Ts and after hunting around found Goodyear Wrangler Trailmark AT tires at Walmart on early Black Friday special for $103 apiece. These are a Walmart exclusive tire, USA made, I think they're an older tire design that are being made now just for Walmart. Cooper is doing the same with the old Discover AT.

I've been skeptical of Walmart Auto Centers since in our previous town I had worked briefly with a guy who was bottom of the barrel skill and ambition wise, things got slow, he got laid off and went to work at the Auto Center there and worked there for years. And of course the stories here. Anyway, I gambled and ordered 5 in the stock diameter since the spare was junk and now almost 20 years old. The tires took a couple of days longer than promised to show up at the Walmart (no big deal) and I was there Tuesday at 8am when they opened and was first in line. They said about an hour so I got the items on the list I was handed by my boss and came back in an hour and it was done, almost. I had dropped the spare at home and really didn't look it over and it turns out it was a 15" wheel/tire, tread 3/4 gone so it must have replaced the original spare at some point. Oh well, looked the wheels over, paid up and drove home. No new scratches on the wheels and rode smoothly, more than I can say for my last visits at Discount Tire, the Nissan garage, and a local indie. Went to the local U-pull-it and found a 16" steely and brought it and the new tire back this morning and had it mounted up. All had identical born on dates of 3121, happy with that. Had it to 65 today and no shakes.

For $675 all in I got 5 USA Goodyear 245/75-16s mounted and balanced and a steel wheel. Lug nuts at correct torque, tire pressures varied 3 psi high to low, easy fix. My opinion of Walmart Auto Center has gone up substantially, I was expecting to have to have something corrrected at the least. The service writers were pleasant and they were on time. Well done Prescott Walmart.(y)

View attachment 78447
It all depends on the community you live in and the people they hire. The manager where I live tells me he can not open some days cause not enough workers show up. I been using Walmart tire centers for years with the lifetime balance and rotation and road hazard. I just had (2) new tires fixed/replaced within the last 10 days at no extra cost. One large nail and one had split sidewall.

Reactions: hrv
ordered four tires for an ancient application, just brought the rims in to WM for mount & balance. Then carry out. They are just fine 2+ years later. Their tire shop/garage is always busy. If they did poor quality work it wouldn't be like that. They also face serious competition from Les Schwab out here in the west, another excellent & honest tire shop that doesn't mess around.

How's the powerband now with the correct tire size?

Good question. They were only 1" diameter larger so about 3%. The speedometer is right on now instead of a bit low. I was concentrating on how they felt on the road. There are a couple of uphill spots where it always just barely downshifts, might be able to tell something there. At 156k I thought it would appreciate it. The 3.3 is pretty gutless.

How'd you verify correct lug torque?

Putting my torque wrench at the correct value and backing one off on each wheel. They clicked then immediately broke free. Then checked all, none loose and I pushed past the click on a couple and they moved again quickly. Good enough.

ordered four tires for an ancient application, just brought the rims in to WM for mount & balance. Then carry out. They are just fine 2+ years later. Their tire shop/garage is always busy. If they did poor quality work it wouldn't be like that. They also face serious competition from Les Schwab out here in the west, another excellent & honest tire shop that doesn't mess around.
Les Schwab sells a lot of no name tires at premium prices, your paying for the "service", been down that road before.

Yeah, Les Schwab tires. Some examples.. Road control, Fit AS, Quatrac, ifit, Sailing Terramax Pinza AT, and their "Premium"....Reputation tire line which is priced more than Michelin tires, Continental, etc. I'm not knocking their customer service.

Zero rust on your frame or wheel well. Had your truck lived up here, it would be rusted out after 20 of our winter seasons.

Zero rust on your frame or wheel well. Had your truck lived up here, it would be rusted out after 20 of our winter seasons.

Or in western Pa where we immigrated from. It actually spent a couple of years in Colorado according to the previous owner so there's a hint of rust on a few things underneath, more than a true SW vehicle. The 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport that I bought the first year we were here was a true Arizona vehicle with zero rust anywhere including the original exhaust. I had to replace the O2 sensor in the exhaust manifold, cracked it free with an open end wrench and spun it out by hand. A true miracle for a Rustylvania guy. 🙏

So here's my very recent experience with Walmart. Ordered 2 tires thru Walmart marketplace (3rd party merchant). The tires were a really good deal. We had just replaced the 2 rear tires a few weeks prior.

I just had these tires shipped to Walmart so I'd get WM to install them and be on my way. After about 30 minutes of browsing the store while waiting...my phone rings. It's the WM tire center. Guy on their end says they can't change just 2 tires on an AWD. I'm on my way back.

So the manager intercepts me in the waiting area, says policy....blah, blah, blah. I said I understand you not replacing just 2 tires on a full time AWD vehicle, but mine is not. It is a selected option. This vehicle remains in 2WD 99.99% of the time. He said but the emblem says AWD. He could not fathom that I could engage and disengage AWD with a button.

Not ONLY that, but I offered for him to check the tread depth on the newest 2 tires, then compare to these brand new tires. He refused and kept citing their policy. I asked if he had a printed policy stating this and he couldn't produce one. Been all over their website...not cited anywhere.

I signed for the tires, took the vehicle to the Goodyear store across the street and paid them to do it...zero questions, zero hassle, zero issue. And BTW, I checked the tread depth on the rear and these brand new ones when I got home...they are identical.

So here's my very recent experience with Walmart. Ordered 2 tires thru Walmart marketplace (3rd party merchant). The tires were a really good deal. We had just replaced the 2 rear tires a few weeks prior.

I just had these tires shipped to Walmart so I'd get WM to install them and be on my way. After about 30 minutes of browsing the store while waiting...my phone rings. It's the WM tire center. Guy on their end says they can't change just 2 tires on an AWD. I'm on my way back.

So the manager intercepts me in the waiting area, says policy....blah, blah, blah. I said I understand you not replacing just 2 tires on a full time AWD vehicle, but mine is not. It is a selected option. This vehicle remains in 2WD 99.99% of the time. He said but the emblem says AWD. He could not fathom that I could engage and disengage AWD with a button.

Not ONLY that, but I offered for him to check the tread depth on the newest 2 tires, then compare to these brand new tires. He refused and kept citing their policy. I asked if he had a printed policy stating this and he couldn't produce one. Been all over their website...not cited anywhere.

I signed for the tires, took the vehicle to the Goodyear store across the street and paid them to do it...zero questions, zero hassle, zero issue. And BTW, I checked the tread depth on the rear and these brand new ones when I got home...they are identical.
That's too bad but you have to respect the guy a little bit for sticking to what he believed to be policy even though it wasn't good for you. I was concerned because the size I got wasn't OEM (but same diameter) but nothing was said. Understandable if you don't do biz with WM auto in the future.

My local WM treated me very well just recently with my tire purchase. (4) General Grabbers (245/70/17), lifetime R&B, road hazard warranty, valve stems, and tax $504 OTD.
Oh, my first cousin is the auto service dept. manager.

So did you pay regular customer price or did you get some kind of deal?
I paid the WM online price for the tires ($114 each VS $122 store price). The difference was a deal from my cousin ($48).
$114X4=$456. Tax, Lifetime R&B, road hazard warranty, valve stems, and tire disposal fee, $504-$456=$48. So, yeah, I did get a deal. ;)

Back