Credit card number compromised

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Capitol One card was compromised and used for some $20 charges that Capitol One caught. I thought the low cost charges were odd. Would have expected higher fraudulent charges. The card never left my hands and is still in my wallet. It's a fairly new card. With a chip. The fraudulent charges were online. I went online, the merchant requires a CCV. Where did they get that? Do not believe I used it at any place that was not chip enabled. Tough to remember every charge activity even looking at statement.

I am leaning towards the card was compromised as being made or in mail.

Card has been replaced so not worried about new fraudulent charges.

Curiosity I guess. I am in computer security for mainframes but not this end of things.

I think most times the fraudulent charge is small to try and fly under the radar. It's happened to me a few times all debit cards.

Sounds like someone has access to a high number of cards' information. $20 spread over 1000 cards will probably net more than trying large amounts over few cards since people are more likely to let a small charge slide - human nature to assume they made a small charge they forgot about.

A couple years back I had the same thing happen with two cards at once. Numerous small weird charges. Looked at the history of both cards and there was only one place I had used both.

Have you run a check for malware? Trojans can log keystrokes and send the info back to whomever, wherever.

When it has happened to me, they start out small, with weird charges, sometimes under $1. Then they work their way up to bigger ones. File a fraud alert, I think I would even do a Big 3 credit freeze, the CC company will do a chargeback & you won't have to pay. This is the main reason to NEVER have a debit card!

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Have you run a check for malware? Trojans can log keystrokes and send the info back to whomever, wherever.

Most credit card fraud is internal

My folks had cards they had never used get "stolen"

That said every time I have used a credit card for an online purchase it gets stolen.
Method, security, system doesn't matter card still gets stolen.

I have resorted to "phone orders" and oddly enough card is never ripped off now.

The trouble now days is that most credit card information is public and for sale to scammers.
The only reason you don't see more fraud is because the credit card company is very good at identifying fraud by tracking complex data both cellular and IP based during transactions.

The trouble is that if a scammer has stolen your identity and possibly one of your personal effects these systems can be tricked, especially if the scammer is nearby, many times when I go to Minnesota even though I do nothing online I end up with fraudulent purchases made in Minnesota

Sad state of affairs

Happens more often than not a few years ago My card was replaced 3 times. Random number generators are used.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
This is the main reason to NEVER have a debit card!

I just brought this up in another recent thread. My credit union and many other institutions offer 100% fraud protection for debit cards.

We've caught quite a few folks with "scanners" in the local area....

Alll you have to do is drive by/....

I do not believe I used the card online ever. I have premium Malwarebytes and ESET on phone and PC.

I try and use PayPal online.

Originally Posted by daves87rs

I think you need to be pretty close to scan. And the card must be enabled so it needs to have the radio icon on back. This card had that icon however. So it's possible.

When it has happened to me, they start out small, with weird charges, sometimes under $1. Then they work their way up to bigger ones. File a fraud alert, I think I would even do a Big 3 credit freeze, the CC company will do a chargeback & you won't have to pay. This is the main reason to NEVER have a debit card!

They have not stolen my identity, just info from my credit card so what you suggest about credit freeze is not warranted.

They have not stolen my identity, just info from my credit card so what you suggest about credit freeze is not warranted.
Originally Posted by daves87rs

So maybe a reason to not carry cards with the radio logo on back?

Originally Posted by doitmyself
This is the main reason to NEVER have a debit card!

I just brought this up in another recent thread. My credit union and many other institutions offer 100% fraud protection for debit cards.

This is correct. If a credit union doesn't offer the same protection, well, they suck. Switch. Ours does and I happily mention this, and "educate" misinformed people, plenty of times. That said, I hope I never need to test this !

A chipped credit card is not immune to fraud.

https://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-experian/shimming-is-the-latest-credit-card-scam/

...The emergence of chip-enabled credit cards was supposed to help eliminate vulnerability to identity theft and fraud because those cards could not be "skimmed." But fraudsters are persistent, and they've found a way to lift information from chip cards using this new technique called "shimming," which first occurred in places like Mexico and Arizona several years ago...

...With this new technique, scammers insert a paper-thin device, or "shim," enabled with a microchip and flash storage directly into the dip-and-wait slot on card readers that accepts chip-enabled cards...

...The shim then copies and saves the information from your credit card or debit card. While the information from the chip can't be used to clone another chip card, it can be employed to create a version of the card featuring a magnetic strip —and plenty of retailers, especially online, still accept such cards.

Originally Posted by Rmay635703

True, but that doesn't negate taking precautionary measures.

Originally Posted by SubLGT
I no longer use a credit card at the gas pump. Cash only.

How do you use cash at the pump? I haven't seen one of those set ups in ages. I go inside and hand my card to the cashier...

Originally Posted by Rmay635703

True, but that doesn't negate taking precautionary measures.

Originally Posted by SubLGT
I no longer use a credit card at the gas pump. Cash only.

How do you use cash at the pump? I haven't seen one of those set ups in ages. I go inside and hand my card to the cashier...

I use a ExxonMobil app on my phone to pay for gas. And a couple of similar apps for other gas companies

Originally Posted by Donald

I use a ExxonMobil app on my phone to pay for gas. And a couple of similar apps for other gas companies

Probably how it will all go to in the future

Chances are some place you shopped (or ate) your card was skimmed (I also had one recently where they obtained the ccv number), also company data breaches are common now, first time it maybe unsettling, but heck, I cant tell you how many times in the last decade my credit cards have had to be replaced.
Maybe 10 times, between my wife and myself.

No big deal, they remove the bad charges and send you out a new card. You never lose a penny.

As far as credit freeze, for the life of me I dont understand why people do not freeze their credit information with at least the 3 major companies, I actually froze it with the 4th.
Makes NO SENSE, why do people not secure their credit information with a password? Its nuts!
This prevents REAL credit theft where loans and other things can be taken out in your name, who the heck cares about a credit card that you are not reasonable for?

If someone steals your identity and uses your credit information IT IS YOUR PROBLEM!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back