Crazy Used Prices....Again....

This morning I got a mail from the Mazda dealership asking me if I wanted to trade in my 2017.

I also got a mail addressed to the person who lived here before but passed away several years ago. Same exact letter but she apparently drove a Toyota Highlander. Same dealership too.

Drove up to my home town last night, after picking up my mother to attend a funeral visitation of a guy I grew up with and mom grew up with his mom.

The local Chevy (and formerly Oldsmobile) dealer in town looked like it had about 1/3rd of the inventory they would normally have. All manner of empty spaces on the lot.

Seemed to be low on both new and used cars. Not unexpected given current conditions.

The Chevy dealer near me has no used cars on their used car lot.

I bought during pandemic (April) from empty Ford dealer and managed to pay about 2.5k less for used 2015 Pilot base based on current asking price vs then.

Last edited:
Production shutdowns, tariffs, plus people afraid to get on the subway. Hope my Soul engine doesn't seize up.

It shouldn't. The Soul is made in South Korea. All the 4 cyl engine woes afflict the ones made in the USA. Which is why you don't see the Soul on any of the recall lists for failed engines.

My daughter has a 15 she bought brand new and it's been fantastic. She is around 77k now.

The used car values aren’t worth it in my opinion. If you can afford it, buy new and work to get the best deal possible. Maintain and keep for 15years.

This.
I have done this for years.
I wait until the model year change and do my homework.
Many time there is factory to dealer cash that is not advertised. My goal is to get at least a nice chunk of that in the deal.
I aim at used one year value when I make an offer. Generally, I hit it. I have had times that I have bought new for less than I could have bought used.
If it is slightly over, no big deal. I still enjoy a new car with full factory warranty, without wear and tear for close money to a used car without an extended warranty, The lack of wear on consumables (tires, brakes, etc) offsets the difference, IMO.
Use the internet to your advantage and shop away. Go where the best deal is. I live in Central Ohio and bought our recent new car in West Virginia.
Nobody around us would touch the deal I got. I'll gladly drive to another state to save $4200. My cousin thought I was slightly crazy and wanted the same vehicle. Despite her best efforts, she couldn't come close. I got involved. She ended up at the same dealer I did, got the same deal, and drove it home.
I normally aim for 10 years of ownership as a guide. I went 14 on this last one and had our van sold in a weekend, with a waiting list of people offering me full asking if the original customer fell through. There is a shortage of good used cars and the over inflated pricing reflects that deficit.
Shop both ways, but I have generally found the deals to be had are in new cars, unless one goes out at least five model years. Even then, when looking at niche vehicles (like trucks, for instance,) the pricing is crazy.

Drove up to my home town last night, after picking up my mother to attend a funeral visitation of a guy I grew up with and mom grew up with his mom.

The local Chevy (and formerly Oldsmobile) dealer in town looked like it had about 1/3rd of the inventory they would normally have. All manner of empty spaces on the lot.

Seemed to be low on both new and used cars. Not unexpected given current conditions.

It’s actually to the car dealers advantage to be low on inventory, reduces fixed costs/depreciation and they can game the scarcity for extra $$$$

The manufacturers given the economic outlook have similar motives, no need to produce full rate or solve supply issues until demand returns.

Some markets may see up to a 90% reduction in demand for big ticket items within a year
(Houses, cars, etc)

Still quite early with everyone flush with government dollars to judge how this will turn out

Back