Crazy Used Prices....Again....

Used cars are a huge profit center, if they don't have enough used it's going to affect new prices next.

It's the free market at work and supply and demand principle.

Also paranoia combined with boredom listening to the hype machine.

Around here Housing sales have dropped from 50-70 units a month to 8 while the number of homes For sale on the market has tripled yet prices are running 50% higher than last year go figure

but SEVEN GRAND for a 15+ year old Honda with 200k on it? And this was a manual trans AWD model, not exactly an easy sell (although very cool and somewhat rare).

Around here if you find a manual on a dealer lot Especially 4wd it’s usually double the price of an automatic Version of the same car.

Years ago I tried to trade my fully optioned 50,000 mile 2001 Dodge Ram club cab 2wd 5.2 auto for a
base
2000 Dodge Ram std long box 2wd 5.2 5mt 80,000 miles no ac no carpet, bench Seat

And the dealer didn’t Want the trade, he was asking $10000 For a base 2wd and figured my truck which was in much better shape wasn’t worth $1500, needless to say I ran from that deal, his truck wasn’t worth more than $3500 And mine was likely worth more than his.

Last edited:
This is exactly why I'm so glad I just swooped my '01 Grand Cherokee for $400. Easily a $1,300 truck on a regular day, probably $1,900 now. Heck, a friend of mind just got $7k at the Ford dealer on trade for his '02ish CR-V with 200k on it. Granted, that was with trade incentives, but SEVEN GRAND for a 15+ year old Honda with 200k on it? And this was a manual trans AWD model, not exactly an easy sell (although very cool and somewhat rare).

I just stopped at a local Lincoln dealer yesterday to pick up a part and they have a giant white board of the top 20 models they're looking for on trade/sell. Desperation is high.

You should have gotten a pic and posted it for us. Would be an interesting topic.

You should have gotten a pic and posted it for us. Would be an interesting topic.

I should have. I don't remember many of them, but for being a Lincoln only dealer there was some odd vehicles on there. Most if not all were 2016+, however there were some odd ones like a 2016 Sonata, several random Ford CUV/SUV's like Escape's, 2016 Honda Pilot, 2017 Odyssey, things like that. It was a very odd mix.

I'm not surprised the used market is so baron, I swear since C19 hit I can't BELIEVE the money people are spending on their old cars at my shop. Keep in mind, these are people who haven't hardly driven them in 3-6 months. $1,500-$2k tickets have been PLENTIFUL lately. That, and the cat. con. theft around here is still rampant, I just did a set on a 2017 Chevy Express that ran $3,500 OTD. Prius' have been especially hard hit, that's a $1,300 repair (or $2,600 if it's low miles and the insurance pops for OE parts). I've seen maybe 15 Prius' with stolen cats since this whole thing started, and slightly before. I've been in the industry 15 years and can NEVER remember a cat being stolen outside of the random one off job.

Heck, Prius cat theft is SO bad now that a company has started making CUSTOM SHIELDS to protect them. We just installed our first one the other day.

Take a look: Prius cat shield

Decent project cars are starting to appear. Don't know if it's the end of summer but some of the sellers say they're moving and haven't gotten room.

So the "I'm gonna get to it" crowd is starting to admit defeat.

Many decades represented.

Reactions: JC1
Decent project cars are starting to appear. Don't know if it's the end of summer but some of the sellers say they're moving and haven't gotten room.

So the "I'm gonna get to it" crowd is starting to admit defeat.

Many decades represented.
I've noticed a dearth of project cars on CL. But most of them seem to be actually done vehicles, with a few projects tossed in. I often will search for pre-'99 (no title, no emissions) and this summer has brought out "many" more than I recall in any month prior.

One thing I wouldn’t do, I wouldn’t buy a used truck (2-3 years old). They put these things out front at the dealers and two rows behind them the new ones are almost the same price with rebates. Seriously. Here they have a 2015 $28,000 truck sitting there with 60,000 miles on it and the new one is behind it for $33,000 with rebates. It’s the strangest thing I’ve ever seen...don’t know why people even look at them

One thing I wouldn’t do, I wouldn’t buy a used truck (2-3 years old). They put these things out front at the dealers and two rows behind them the new ones are almost the same price with rebates. Seriously. Here they have a 2015 $28,000 truck sitting there with 60,000 miles on it and the new one is behind it for $33,000 with rebates. It’s the strangest thing I’ve ever seen...don’t know why people even look at them

Because many buyers don't do their homework. They were told that 2-3 year old vehicles have a lot of depreciation and are good buys. These days when the economy is bad there are better brand new vehicles with incentives to be had if you time it right.

As for project cars some people will want to sell now instead of keeping the vehicles another year.

Vehicles have gotten more expensive so folks are holding onto their cars longer than ever. There are still decent deals to be had on new sedans, but SUVs and trucks - forget it. Most working class folks can’t afford them (without large long term loans). Most folks on working class budgets are left with whatever reasonably priced used sedans are left, and there’s not enough of them.

Used cars that were $4k last spring are now $5.5K....unbelievable.

This pretty much sums up exactly what happened to the value of my 2011 Mazda6 with 145K miles on it. I paid $19k new for this car and it’s still worth $5k. It was worth around $4k earlier this year. When I was in college I bought an 80k mile 7yr old car for $2,600. Double the miles and double the price. The used car values aren’t worth it in my opinion. If you can afford it, buy new and work to get the best deal possible. Maintain and keep for 15years.

Last edited:
Thank all that covid stimulus and covid lockdown, putting money in the hands of people who usually blow it, and then banning them from going to said places. Mostly bars. LOL.

2018 F150 XLT 4 door 4x4 2.7t 35k miles $35k. Again, nearly the brand new price.

Friends Deal:
2019 SuperCrew XLT 301A 4x4 2.7EB New
$33,520 (after a private offer coupon) in late April. Of course that was when the dealers were hungry and Ford was offering huge incentives.

Now the situation is reversed with a shortage of new vehicles to buy and no more glut of trades they can't take to auction so a shortage is driving up used values.

Friends Deal:
2019 SuperCrew XLT 301A 4x4 2.7EB New
$33,520 (after a private offer coupon) in late April. Of course that was when the dealers were hungry and Ford was offering huge incentives.

Now the situation is reversed with a shortage of new vehicles to buy and no more glut of trades they can't take to auction so a shortage is driving up used values.

Except for 2017 Toyota Mirais that are $3000 out of the lease
69B4428C-E3DC-44FC-8FA5-B31E924B073D.png

Back