Crazy specs for Subaru FA20!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We all know about the crazy (12+ GPM oil flow) on the EJ25s... it turns out the FA20DIT takes crazy to a new level (+25%, 15.9 GPM/min of oil at redline)! With seeing some of these numbers, it's a wonder we don't see more failed oil filters. I wonder why Subaru engineers decided what must certainly be HUGE parasitic losses from turning the water and oil pumps so hard was necessary? And look at that internal oil pump bypass pressure- definitely needs a stout filter!

FA20 specs.PNG

Subies have long had absurdly high oil flow rates.
I'm assuming that the designers had a good reason for this although I have yet to read any explanation for it.

How about that water pump flow volume ... 65.5 GPM. That's crazy too.
crazy.gif

Yep. I don't even understand how you can get any appreciable heat transfer when you consider the coolant is making a full exchange EVERY 2 SECONDS... boggles the mind! To me, that kind of flow rate would be much better suited to a PSD, Cummins, Duramax... or even one of the huge Cat highway engines. At least then you're dealing with 7-10 gallons of coolant instead of around 2...

Originally Posted by Kira
Could it be that "hot 'n loose" parts let these pumps spin with less resistance than we think?

I wonder if it's a high-volume/low-pressure design, for turbocharger cooling.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Originally Posted by Kira
Could it be that "hot 'n loose" parts let these pumps spin with less resistance than we think?

I wonder if it's a high-volume/low-pressure design, for turbocharger cooling.

Makes sense to me. IIRC the GMC big block used crazy high coolant flow rate, and that was to keep temperatures more uniform across all cooling surfaces inside the engine. [I think it also did not run all coolant to the radiator.] High flow rate through the turbo has to be good too.

I wonder if some of that is to enable operation with 0W20 also? High flow rate, keep the bearings awash--and cool.
21.gif

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
16GPM with only 46psi of pressure sounds pretty high volume/low pressure to me... typical rule of thumb is 10psi per 1k rpm, and this is only 6.9psi/1k.

That rule of thumb was great... for small block Chevy's. Not necessarily applicable to every other engine out there. Briggs and Stratton engines run on zero oil pressure, as did Model T's and a host of other engines. My recollection is that some of the non-Chevy big blocks were content with a wisp of pressure at idle. Huge bearing surfaces not being asked to do much didn't require much pressure to get oil where it was needed.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
16GPM with only 46psi of pressure sounds pretty high volume/low pressure to me... typical rule of thumb is 10psi per 1k rpm, and this is only 6.9psi/1k.

That spec is with the oil at 120C ... which is a bit hotter than what most cars run at, around 100C.

Originally Posted by supton

I wonder if some of that is to enable operation with 0W20 also? High flow rate, keep the bearings awash--and cool.
21.gif

If that's the case, I wonder why Subaru has smallish sumps compared to BMW or Mercedes. It's still a big sump compared to a Nissan or Honda, the FB25 calls for almost 6 quarts of oil.

Originally Posted by nthach
Originally Posted by supton

21.gif

If that's the case, I wonder why Subaru has smallish sumps compared to BMW or Mercedes. It's still a big sump compared to a Nissan or Honda, the FB25 calls for almost 6 quarts of oil.

Fast draining engine? If it's hot it's thin, and back in the pan all the faster.

I'm not up on the specifics, but some (mostly foreign) gas engine manufacturers do prefer ginormous flow over pressure as a lubrication scheme.

The king of this ideology that I know of is my 609cc dirt bike that features 8 quart/min of oil flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back