Crazy OCI using Honda maintenance minder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dlayman
Factory oil and filter was changed at 6000 miles (despite being at 70% life, according to OLM). Second change was done at 12k miles.

You've got a brand new car and you're letting the oil go to 12,000 miles? I'm assuming the car is a lease and you're not planning on keeping it more than 3 years. The second owner will get a Honda with an engine full of varnish.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: dlayman
Factory oil and filter was changed at 6000 miles (despite being at 70% life, according to OLM). Second change was done at 12k miles.

You've got a brand new car and you're letting the oil go to 12,000 miles? I'm assuming the car is a lease and you're not planning on keeping it more than 3 years. The second owner will get a Honda with an engine full of varnish.

No, as stated, it was changed at 6000 and again at 12000 miles, each time with the oil life monitor saying I had 70% life left. The subject of the thread was my astonishment that the monitor was suggesting such long intervals. The same thing I did with my 05 that is closing in on 300000 miles with no engine problems or consumption. It's clear from the responses some people think I changed much earlier than necessary and others think I waited way too long. Had I followed the monitor, the first oil change would have been at 18000 miles with factory filter going to 36000 miles. That seems wildly long to me, but apparently a lot of Honda drivers who do mainly highway miles are seeing the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back