Cranking speed and viscocity

I am curious how much cranking speed is affected by viscosity in cold weather. Say it is -10 degrees Fahrenheit. Will I see a noticeable difference in cranking RPM between a 10w-30, a 5w-30, and a 0w-30?

Depends on what you mean by noticeable. If you are interacting with the oil in a beaker, you will absolutely be able to notice a significant viscosity and flow difference between the three at that low of a temp.

If in your vehicle, depending on a lot of other variables, the 10 weight might contribute to more difficulty starting the car. If it does start, you might notice the heavier weights taking longer to reach oil pressure. At that kind of subzero temp, the 0 weight will flow better and is probably the best choice.

you will notice a difference in cranking speed, 0w will be the easiest on your starter and will circulate through the engine faster allowing for less wear and tear. 0w will also carry heat away from closer tolerance areas in the engine. I would run 0w30 in the winter months and if it was mine, 0w 30 year around.

Absolutely! I had a weak starter in my first car, a Mazda 323, and it conked out when it was -7'F turning over whatever dino 10w30 my dad's mechanic put in, back in the 1990s. Got me interested in oil though!

New starter and Mobil 1 5w30 had me cranking over great!

I am curious how much cranking speed is affected by viscosity in cold weather. Say it is -10 degrees Fahrenheit. Will I see a noticeable difference in cranking RPM between a 10w-30, a 5w-30, and a 0w-30?
Yes, this is the CCS viscosity spec as part of the 'W' rating.
MRV (the pumpability) is more important from lubrication perspective.

Yes, this is the CCS viscosity spec as part of the 'W' rating.
MRV (the pumpability) is more important from lubrication perspective.
I am just curious if a thinner oil helps cold weather starting ... not from a wear perspective, but from a "will I make it to work today" perspective ...

Back