Crank no start, 93 S10 4.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, that's a stumper.

FWIW you should only crank 20 seconds before you overheat your starter.

Good diag on the fuel pump.

It sounds like it has reasonable-ish compression.

Spark?

I will see if I can get an assistant to crank it, and help me check spark. Could be it right there.

I am in Norristown PA ATM, FWIW.

And thank you, eljefino! My post got out of order there for a second, I was going to type that first.

How about Broken Connecting Rod for $500, eljefino?

Could it have snapped when he banged loose the two pistons?

If it is easy to change them then maybe that is all I need to do?? Or, if it was that would it not even turn...

For those that are following and want to help me get my other vehicle to crank: I will see if I have spark or not whenever I can find that second pair of hands. And go from there.

And how about this!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ?

Is this the key to the puzzle?

DSCN0949_zps0c6546fb.jpg

It still won't start.
frown.gif

I seemed to rule out fuel, but is the fact that it won't start with starting fluid.. telling?

What to try nxt, tomorrow?

To recap: There is no fuse in a spot marked Crank. It didnt do anything with starting fluid. The cap and rotor appear to be tight, my video shows spark as follows. I am beginning to wonder what it could be? I really need use of my other vehicle. Without going into detail, a trip across country to Texas for a family emergensy what I want to do and I can't do it with my truck in AAMCO visiting it with my Ford. So, what is up? Stay focused on the crank no start at hand, people.

IS the spark too weak, this is from coil to distributor.

Must think of what it could be. I have something coming up where I am scheduled to use it, but it is just sitting there, cranking and not starting.

BITOG POWER!

Should I go to it at night?

It certainly sounds like you've got compression. That looks like you've got spark, but that only means you have spark going into the cap, not coming out of it. You haven't determined that you have spark coming out and going to the correct cylinders at the correct time yet.

If starting fluid didn't help then you should be getting enough fuel. Pull a plug out and make sure it isn't wet. It's possible that when you were cranking with a bad battery the plugs got wet. If you pull one spark plug and it's wet with fuel, pull them all and use some fine sandpaper to clean them. You really only need a single scratch down to bare metal on both the ground electrode and the center electrode for a spark to happen.

Originally Posted By: yonyon
It certainly sounds like you've got compression. That looks like you've got spark, but that only means you have spark going into the cap, not coming out of it. You haven't determined that you have spark coming out and going to the correct cylinders at the correct time yet.

If starting fluid didn't help then you should be getting enough fuel. Pull a plug out and make sure it isn't wet. It's possible that when you were cranking with a bad battery the plugs got wet. If you pull one spark plug and it's wet with fuel, pull them all and use some fine sandpaper to clean them. You really only need a single scratch down to bare metal on both the ground electrode and the center electrode for a spark to happen.

smile.gif

Tomorrow, I will.. check out the distributor. It is possible that I had that one rolling around and so banged up that it is screwed up. The OLD distributor worked, I am the idiot that asked him to change it with the new when he put the head back on. I also see gaskets where there were no gaskets before.

Should I get that $28 coil (question is: Is the spark depicted in that video WEAK?) or.. no?

I feel encouraged and motivated. I feel like it wants to start. So, tomorrow, I was gonna try this..

Spark looks fine. Go over this thing's engine wire harness and make sure every sensor is connected.

Are you sure the distributor wasn't installed 180* out?.You might have to re-stab it.Also put a fuse into that crank location just for fun ..see what happens.

edit: somethings not in time it sounds.

Last edited:
The popping indicates either incorrect valve timing or incorrect distributor installation. It sounds more like distributor is not in correctly but anything is possible since it was all apart.

^^ Thank you! I feel today will be a productive day.

OK. The negative cable I removed from the battery, to avoid drain, etc. I removed the distributor cap, and very telling it that it appeared to be seized up; i.e. not spinning. The surface also looked very rusty. I sprayed it with a dab of PBlaster. Those pics are below.

I am about to read/watch videos about/books and tools to do timing, probably get a new rotor, as well.

Any tips? Operation Timing is in effect!

DSCN0967_zpsf3288bb5.jpg

DSCN0966_zps9cf97bdd.jpg

DSCN0965_zps5be0725d.jpg

DSCN0964_zpsf144e258.jpg

DSCN0963_zps5a208766.jpg

Presently watching this before I get to Advance Auto and buy some items I will need. If there are better videos so I can bring myself up to speed, please tell me! Will have this on all day. This is real-time.

Let's time this engine, and get the distributor right. First time for me, total newb doing this.

If it starts then a. That is the best thing.
laugh.gif
and b. I will share...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back