Craigslist . No number no response?

You're lucky if one out of five who say they are coming to pick something up actually do, and that's for a pay item. For something free, no way I'm lugging a TV to anyplace on the slight chance they will actually show up for it. I'll lug it to the dump first.
For $20 or less, not worth the hassle.

I told everyone I knew years ago, once lcd’s got cheap, to ditch crt’s. Even if it cost money, in the future it would only cost more to dispose of.

If you are trying to give away an old CRT TV in 2023, or even 5 years ago, you can't give them away. Thrift stores that take free donations won't even accept them in perfect working condition.

Some recyclers might pay for electronics, but around here, you pay them if it has a tube.
This. A couple of friends of mine own surplus stores and scrap operations. they now have to PAY to get rid of anything that has a CRT in it because the lead used in the leaded glass. They quit accepting CRT monitors and CRT TVs years ago because it costs them money out of pocket to get rid of them.

FWIW a lot of areas have one day per year that their trash companies will accept those TVs without charging you. Call your city or county or who ever runs your trash service and ask them about it.

It’s all preference. I don’t give people on CL my phone number.

If they communicate properly then I will eventually give my address after confirming they’re going to come soon. I often use a local convenience store even if the items aren’t big money. Sometimes that isn’t possible.

Take it to your area's electronic recycle / hazardous waste location. No one wants "old" TVs. Please don't tell us it's a CRT/tube TV !! 🤪
Some do. The last tube tv I had was taken by someone who refurbishes video game systems.

For CL deals I'll hold something on this condition: If the buyer's an hour away, they message me when they leave, and I'll hold it for that hour.

For low value stuff I use the "money table", a picnic table in my front yard with a mason jar on it. Come by, put your money in the jar, take the thing. Hands off. We've communicated, you have my permission.

I don't see the fraud potential. My house already exists, you can play on google maps looking for a "mark." Connecting a physical address to an email address or phone number, so what?

Some do. The last tube tv I had was taken by someone who refurbishes video game systems.
Okay, haha ! You found that less-than-1% buyer 🤣🤣🤣

I do know what you mean too. You're referring to arcade-style, stand-up video games.

Okay, haha ! You found that less-than-1% buyer 🤣🤣🤣

I do know what you mean too. You're referring to arcade-style, stand-up video games.
I still have my original 1980s Nintendo. Imagine how bummer we were to learn that duck hunt wouldn’t work on an lcd. Should have kept my 1987 manual control small tv for that.

When I list on Craigslist I don’t provide a way to contact and use the map to point somewhere on the map pointing at my neighbors yard and put curb alert.

Never had a problem they also find it.

This. A couple of friends of mine own surplus stores and scrap operations. they now have to PAY to get rid of anything that has a CRT in it because the lead used in the leaded glass. They quit accepting CRT monitors and CRT TVs years ago because it costs them money out of pocket to get rid of them.

FWIW a lot of areas have one day per year that their trash companies will accept those TVs without charging you. Call your city or county or who ever runs your trash service and ask them about it.

I got somewhere north of $500 for an IBM EGA 5154 Color CRT monitor.

Considering LCDs aren’t recyclable we should have stuck with primarily CRTs which also don’t have lag, motion blur or color space problems.

When I list on Craigslist I don’t provide a way to contact and use the map to point somewhere on the map pointing at my neighbors yard and put curb alert.

Never had a problem they also find it.

I got somewhere north of $500 for an IBM EGA 5154 Color CRT monitor.

Considering LCDs aren’t recyclable we should have stuck with primarily CRTs which also don’t have lag, motion blur or color space problems.
I'd love to see a TV set with an 80 inch CRT in it! LOL. The problem with CRTs is that the beam divergence angle can't be more than about 45 degrees. So the wider that you make the CRT, the deeper that it becomes front to back! That's why manufacturers didn't make any sets larger than 27 inch, they were deeper than most people were willing to accept. And it wasn't just the depth but the total volume of space that they occupied (the height had to increase as well). LCD and other flat panel technology is the only thing that made LARGE screen TVs possible.

I still have an original IBM PC with the monochrome monitor and twin FH 5 1/4 FDs sitting over in the corner and all of the original IBM SW sitting on a shelf :) Including IBM APL! I sold my extra copy of DOS 1.1 about ten years ago on Fleabay and got something like $400 for it. One of these days I'll pull all of it out and sell it. Including my copy of IBM DOS 1.0 and my package of Charles Moore's PolyForth.

I'd love to see a TV set with an 80 inch CRT in it! LOL. The problem with CRTs is that the beam divergence angle can't be more than about 45 degrees. So the wider that you make the CRT, the deeper that it becomes front to back! That's why manufacturers didn't make any sets larger than 27 inch, they were deeper than most people were willing to accept. And it wasn't just the depth but the total volume of space that they occupied (the height had to increase as well). LCD and other flat panel technology is the only thing that made LARGE screen TVs possible.

I still have an original IBM PC with the monochrome monitor and twin FH 5 1/4 FDs sitting over in the corner and all of the original IBM SW sitting on a shelf :) Including IBM APL! I sold my extra copy of DOS 1.1 about ten years ago on Fleabay and got something like $400 for it. One of these days I'll pull all of it out and sell it. Including my copy of IBM DOS 1.0 and my package of Charles Moore's PolyForth.

Not to blow your mind but a plasma set is just a crt, albeit potentially with multiple zones and a different way of handling illuminating the phosphorus

Also That problem was already solved by front and rear projection not that 80” screens are some sort of need at home though plasma through 160” existed.

I agree with everything you said about CRT (tube tvs) except one thing.. they did make tube tv's larger than 27 inches.. they went up to 36 inches (and from I remember think they tried a 40 inch!), and sure they were deeper, but another drawback? the WEIGHT!! unreal.. the glass and lead lining (to prevent the x-rays that direct the electrons from radiating everyone) was the real problem. I have to point this out so the younger generation reading this will get a complete pictures of the past. And yes, some of those larger CRT's were high definition, same resolution or better than the flat screens today. Only difference now they're flat, lightweight and yes less energy..

And if anyone wanted truly larger and high definition there were high definition projectors..

I agree with everything you said about CRT (tube tvs) except one thing.. they did make tube tv's larger than 27 inches.. they went up to 36 inches (and from I remember think they tried a 40 inch!), and sure they were deeper, but another drawback? the WEIGHT!! unreal.. the glass and lead lining (to prevent the x-rays that direct the electrons from radiating everyone) was the real problem. I have to point this out so the younger generation reading this will get a complete pictures of the past. And yes, some of those larger CRT's were high definition, same resolution or better than the flat screens today. Only difference now they're flat, lightweight and yes less energy..

And if anyone wanted truly larger and high definition there were high definition projectors..
I had a Sony Wega 36", and yes it was over 200lbs.

It was 4:3 SD not HD, but I recall the HD at the time (successor model) you couldn't really, visually discriminate over 720p, just blurred together too much because CRT.

I had a Sony Wega 36", and yes it was over 200lbs.

It was 4:3 SD not HD, but I recall the HD at the time (successor model) you couldn't really, visually discriminate over 720p, just blurred together too much because CRT.
The early hd sets were a gimmick and many times didn’t properly decode SD 4:3 content.
You got the worst of a stretched blurry image with “excessive overscan” that cut off parts of the picture.

I knew someone who owned an early 16:9 32” screen and everything looked ugly. There was so little hd content back then I’m not even sure 720p looked right on it.

Wasn’t impressed.

i am giving away an old TV for free. A person has been emailing me to get it. in my first email i gave them my contact number. for whatever reason this person just emails me and does not call or text .

i am not going to give my address out to someone on an email without a phone number . wonder what the angle is on this . probably better to take it to recycle it instead of dealing with this anymore
I had something weird but similar happen a few years ago. My parents are the fourth owners of their house. They used to have a wooden wagon wheel out front of their house. A guy pulled up and said he'd used to live there and wanted to buy the wagon wheel. Very sketchy.

I had something weird but similar happen a few years ago. My parents are the fourth owners of their house. They used to have a wooden wagon wheel out front of their house. A guy pulled up and said he'd used to live there and wanted to buy the wagon wheel. Very sketchy.
Huh? Sell the wagon wheel.. unless you have some strange attachment to it?

Worst comes to worst, you can just get rid of the guy by whatever means...

Back