Craigslist boat for sale: Bargain or scam?

I emailed and asked if the seller had the title. This is too cheap to be legit but I don’t know what the scam is.

It's hard being the last owner of a boat. This could be a legit deal where the guy wants it out of his yard.

Does KY tax you on stuff on your land? I toured a mine in OH where the miners hid boats in various "rooms."

You gotta ask yourself, what do you know about boats and boating? Really really?

This reminds me of the Three Stooges short film. Booby Dupes. After they sell a clunker car plus $300 in exchange for a fishing boat, Larry says, "Wait til he tries to run our car." Some distance away, the other guy then laughs and chirps in, "Wait til you try to run that boat."

Last edited:
You never know.. The only thing that screams scam to me on that is its been up for 14 days and isn't gone yet.. But there's nothing more expensive than a cheap boat and most folks have been there done that. haha. I've called GA DNR before with the registration number (that you can see in the picture on that one) and that way you can ensure you know who the registration should be coming from for the transfer.

Judging by how it's starting to sink in the ground I would say it's a legit ad for a hooptie boat that doesn't run. "Ran when parked" is always a big red flag.

You never know.. The only thing that screams scam to me on that is its been up for 14 days and isn't gone yet.. But there's nothing more expensive than a cheap boat and most folks have been there done that. haha. I've called GA DNR before with the registration number (that you can see in the picture on that one) and that way you can ensure you know who the registration should be coming from for the transfer.
The trailer alone is worth the $250. Maybe it’s such a good bargain that everyone is like me and shying away because it feels too good to be true.

It's hard being the last owner of a boat. This could be a legit deal where the guy wants it out of his yard.

Does KY tax you on stuff on your land? I toured a mine in OH where the miners hid boats in various "rooms."

You gotta ask yourself, what do you know about boats and boating? Really really?
KY charges property tax for boats. Now that you mention it, that may be the issue. There may be years of unpaid taxes attached to it. I think the registration sticker says 2017, but it’s possible to pay the tax but not license the boat. Taxes on that combo are probably only $25/year.

The trailer alone is worth the $250. Maybe it’s such a good bargain that everyone is like me and shying away because it feels too good to be true.

It is. You'll find out if the guy responds to you.. I've had some decent luck with cheap boats.. My last one was a junk (imo) fiberglass boat with a nice low hour 2002 mercury 25 2 stroke for $1400. I bought it, swapped the motor with the ancient temperamental Johnson on my john boat and the listed the junk boat with the annoying motor for $1400.. Had a guy offer me a nice John Deere zero turn as a straight trade a couple days later and I'm still using that mower 5yrs later. Got a nice running motor and a zero turn for $1400 bucks.

I don't know what boats really go for but maybe they missed adding a 0, I see that a lot in adds where they don't add the extra digit or sometimes it's a dealer where they list it for the down payment.

It does not run and $250’price reflecting that. No picture of interior is likely reason beyond no run.

I don’t smell scam just an absent seller especially anyone who uses CL in 2023 and email beyond.

I bet it’s wrecked inside, especially as Lubener pointed out with the tree growing inside. Add tires, bearings, and having to load the whole thing up on a larger trailer just to move it. I’d pay $250 not to have to deal with it.

Well if I was buying a trailer I would still want a title to make sure it was not stolen or to sell to someone who lives in another state.
There’s nothing wrong with wanting a title, but you would have to buy the boat in a state that has them. You can’t have a title on a trailer in states that don’t issue them..

I don’t think the craigslist ad is a scam at all.
Obviously, it’s an old boat and the boat has been sitting for a longtime.
It could be the status of junk as far as you know, until you go and see it.

There’s nothing wrong with wanting a title, but you would have to buy the boat in a state that has them. You can’t have a title on a trailer in states that don’t issue them..
Well maybe the certificate of origin from the manufacturer.

You buy a used trailer in KY and move to NY with no title from your trailer. You think NY DMV will say 'its OK with no title I know you are from KY".

NY did not have titles for small trailers but used the registration for the purpose of a title when selling.

Back