Craftsman riding mower with 21hp Briggs motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely head gasket?

IMG_20200309_202202.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ruSSrt
Definitely head gasket?

Wow! Head gasket is where I would start.

I don't know what that ratio would be … but I know 50:1 Tru Fuel made my 6.75 briggs smoke …
Probably does not take much … not exactly high tech induction, ignition, combustion etc on lawn mowers anyway

Originally Posted by 4WD
I don't know what that ratio would be … but I know 50:1 Tru Fuel made my 6.75 briggs smoke …
Probably does not take much … not exactly high tech induction, ignition, combustion etc on lawn mowers anyway

Straight fuel for me on my mower. There should be no oil mixing going on. Plus I would never ever put True Fuel in my mower. $8 a gallon is just way too rich for me
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 4WD

I used old 40:1 in my lawn mower, it ran fine and didn't smoke at all. Do it once in a while to use up old mix.

Originally Posted by 4WD
No Marvel Mystery Oil ?

I do add MMO as it recommends on the bottle. 4oz per 10 gallons. I have 5 gal gas can so I mix in 2oz in it.
But after taking head off I'm gonna just mix in extra in the fuel tank itself to clean everything out.

Pulled head off today and it looks scary in there.
Lots of crud on the head, chunks of stuff around spark plug. Piston is pretty dirty also. Soaking it up in brake cleaner right now. Then gonna work it with some abrasive pad.

IMG_20200312_154023.jpg

IMG_20200312_154005.jpg

Last edited:
That is the spot where it was getting through.
Also received a "new" gasket today and the thing was broken on one end. And it looked like it was folded in 6 different spots. Got to love Amazon with their next day delivery and free returns.

IMG_20200312_161407.jpg

IMG_20200312_095430.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tundraotto
Looks like a lot of caked on Marvel 'Mystery' Oil to me.

You think so? Funny thing is that I haven't even ran a full tank of gas on this mower before it crapped out. And by the looks of it and the gasket it's been run on bad gasket for a while.

Poor HG design. You can buy it at any small engine repair shop, and you can see what you're getting.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tig1
Poor HG design. You can buy it at any small engine repair shop, and you can see what you're getting.

Funny thing is I tried to go local to purchase it. HD, WM, Lowe's or Tractor Supply don't carry that in stock, all online orders only. My local small motor repair shops 1 out of 3 does not sell parts, but would repair it for me for $50 an hour with 2 hour minimum. And other two didn't have them in stock but would be able to order it for me, arrival estimate some time next week.
I ordered one on Amazon yesterday before noon, received it today afternoon.

Probably pulled apart when the head was taken off. Cheaply made gaskets, not like the ones many years ago.

This is a common failure on the larger Briggs singles. They always fail right in that same area.
If you have a John Deere dealer nearby, they will likely have a head gasket on the shelf, as the low end Deere riders use the same engine.
Poor design in my opinion, as there is no metal fire ring on the gasket.
Not a question of if it will fail but when it will fail.

Originally Posted by cronk
This is a common failure on the larger Briggs singles. They always fail right in that same area.
If you have a John Deere dealer nearby, they will likely have a head gasket on the shelf, as the low end Deere riders use the same engine.
Poor design in my opinion, as there is no metal fire ring on the gasket.
Not a question of if it will fail but when it will fail.

By any chance do you know if anyone makes metal gasket for those motors? That design of motors seems to be pretty popular and is in a lot of equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back