Craftsman Professional Synthetic 2-cycle oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Craftsman chainsaw, and the owners manual recommends using the Craftsman Professional Synthetic 2-cycle oil, and using a ratio of 40:1. I pay about $2.50 per bottle for the Craftsman oil, which is the same price as one bottle of Stihl HP Ultra 2-cycle oil. The Stihl oil is also fully synthetic, and it has JASO FB and API TC/TC+ certifications. The Craftsman oil has no certifications. I am wondering if anyone knows anything about the quality of the Craftsman oil? It makes me a little hesitant to use it since it has no certifications, but I like the fact that one bottle of the Craftsman oil gives me a 40:1 ratio when mixed with 1 gallon of gas. One bottle of the Stihl oil gives me a 50:1 ratio when mixed with 1 gallon of gas, so I get a little more oil for the money when i buy the Craftsman oil. However, i know the quality of the Stihl oil is good, but I don't know anything about the Craftsman oil. I have bought some tools in the past from Sears, and they have been complete [censored], so not everything they sell is good quality. Thanks for your input.

FB is not that Great of a rating, you could get a qt of Havoline 2 cycle that is TC rated and FB at advance for a whole quart $4.50. Echo two stroke, I think is FC or FD, which is alot better.

Last edited:
News Flash: Sears (Craftsman) nor Stihl make oils. They sell oil to make more money. They contract with a low bidder to make an oil to their spec, bottle it for them and ship it to their dealers for mark up. It could be from the same company, different label, different propaganda.

These oem oils are just like bottle water. They says it from a spring but it likely comes from a fire hydrant in NYC.

Originally Posted By: Mike_dup1
News Flash: Sears (Craftsman) nor Stihl make oils. They sell oil to make more money. They contract with a low bidder to make an oil to their spec, bottle it for them and ship it to their dealers for mark up. It could be from the same company, different label, different propaganda.

These oem oils are just like bottle water. They says it from a spring but it likely comes from a fire hydrant in NYC.

Nope. Stihl oil is blended and bottled in Canada by Castrol. Definitely not going to the lowest bidder. Castrol has been making their oil for many years.

I use the Stihl HP Ultra oil because they threw it in when i bought my new Stihl MS311 saw no issues no problems low to no smoke but when out i'll probably look else were maybe amsoil something with a better name and rating.

If it makes you feel any better Ive been using the Sears/Craftsman Prof.Synthetic in my Craftsman Weedwacker/chainsaw/leaf blower for the last 5 years. Mix one bottle with a gallon of Shell 94 V-power, never had a problem. The oil has stabilizers of corse so I usually start of the next spring with last years leftovers. If you like the 40:1 bottle that the Craftsman oil comes in simply save the bottle and refill with your choice of 2 cycle oil

I know they don't manufacture their own oil, but I don't think they are from the same source. For one, Stihl oil is certified and Craftsman oil is not. If it was, you can bet Craftsman would print the certs on the bottle. I have seen pictures and specs from Stihl doing a test and comparison of all their oils being used in back pack blowers over a 500 hour period, and the Stihl HP Ultra oil is definitely a quality product.

I really don't trust Craftsman anymore. I bought a vacuum gauge from them a few years ago, and I paid $50 for it, which is the same price for a mitivac or whatever its called. It broke the second time I used. A few years later I saw the same cheap vacuum gauge I bought from Sears being sold at Harbor Freight for a few dollars.

Originally Posted By: Superbuick96
If it makes you feel any better Ive been using the Sears/Craftsman Prof.Synthetic in my Craftsman Weedwacker/chainsaw/leaf blower for the last 5 years. Mix one bottle with a gallon of Shell 94 V-power, never had a problem. The oil has stabilizers of corse so I usually start of the next spring with last years leftovers. If you like the 40:1 bottle that the Craftsman oil comes in simply save the bottle and refill with your choice of 2 cycle oil

Nice to know. Thanks

Originally Posted By: mechjames

Nope. Stihl oil is blended and bottled in Canada by Castrol. Definitely not going to the lowest bidder. Castrol has been making their oil for many years.

Good info. Thanks

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
FB is not that Great of a rating, you could get a qt of Havoline 2 cycle that is TC rated and FB at advance for a whole quart $4.50. Echo two stroke, I think is FC or FD, which is alot better.

Thanks for the info

The words Craftsman and Pro don't go together.

There was a time when Craftsman products were held in high esteem. Much of their stuff is very much over-priced and very much under-achieving.

Why would anyone buy oil from Sears? Higher prices and questionable quality? Go to an auto supply outlet or petroleum products distributor to buy your oil. Better products for less money.

The local small engine guy near me works on a multitude of chainsaws- weedwackers- etc. He told me the regular old Stihl oil seems to work the best. Never seen a engine problem related to this oil. Little wear and clean motors. He swears by it. Its all I have used to for cutting firewood for 35 plus years and never had a problem with this oil.

FB, FC, and FD does not tell how good an oil is. It tells the level of the detergents in the mix. Stihl ultra is so clean burning it does not need the extra detergents the a fc or fd oil uses.

Originally Posted By: BadJack
Originally Posted By: Superbuick96

That being said I planned on going with Stihl, or another quality 2 stroke oil this year, ive used up my Craftsman supply
Nice to know. Thanks

I've used off brand oils, Stihl (both orange bottle and ultra), and last night mixed up some Echo oil.

I like the Stihl ultra, by far the lowest smoke/smell.

We had about 4" of fresh powdery snow last night and I like to use my Echo leaf blower to blow off the deck so the dogs don't track it in. I have been using the Stihl ultra, but the mixed can was empty and all my Stihl oil is in bigger containers. I had a 2.6oz bottle of Echo oil laying around and out of laziness (not having to measure) mixed it with a gallon of fresh Marathon 93 + Stable ethanol stabilizer. The Stihl Ultra I've been running sure does seem a lot cleaner than this Echo stuff.

I might go with the Stihl Ultra. I don't like the smoke in my weedwacker I get from the regular. Its mixed one bottle to a gal but I ofter operate the weedwacker at slow RPM to get around small-tight junk and then it has a tendancy to smoke especially if I give it a few full throttle blasts. My chain saw is run full throttle so it never smokes with the reg Stihl oil.

Originally Posted By: 660mag
FB, FC, and FD does not tell how good an oil is. It tells the level of the detergents in the mix. Stihl ultra is so clean burning it does not need the extra detergents the a fc or fd oil uses.
FB, FC, and FD are similar to the ratings of motor oil in SL, SJ and SM. It has alot more to do with than just the detergent. They all are TC rated, the F rating is how they are rated on various tests. With D being the best current rating.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Originally Posted By: 660mag
FB, FC, and FD are similar to the ratings of motor oil in SL, SJ and SM. It has alot more to do with than just the detergent. They all are TC rated, the F rating is how they are rated on various tests. With D being the best current rating.

Japanese motorcycle manufacturers found the limits demanded by the API TC specifications too loose. Oils meeting the API TC standard still produced excessive smoke and could not prevent exhaust blocking. Therefore the Japanese Engine Oil Standards Implementation Panel (JASO) introduced the following specifications:
JASO FA
Original spec established regulating lubricity, detergent, initial torque, exhaust smoke and exhaust system blocking.
JASO FB
Increased lubricity, detergent, exhaust smoke and exhaust system blocking requirements over FA.
JASO FC
Lubricity and initial torque requirements same as FB, however far higher detergent, exhaust smoke and exhaust system blocking requirements over FB.
JASO FD
Same as FC with far higher detergent requirement.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back