Craftsman pressure washer/ Briggs engine

Perusing Craigslist here there are plenty of pressure washers that run but don't make pressure.

Do your maintenance on the pump side of things diligently.
What do you recommend for pump maintenance other than purging water out before winter?

I actually find it is quicker and makes less of a mess with mowers. I have a small pan I hold next to the dipstick tube as I turn the mower on its side. Much easier than trying to mess with a square drain plug under the mower caked in dried grass, but I can see how on a pressure washer tipping it over is more of a pain.

For sure on that. If I don't use my little hand pumper/sucker for OPE oil removal, I find it's best to run the engine out of fuel before you tip it. Even after sealing the fuel tank off with something, fuel can still pour out the carburetor depending on the configuration of the machine.

I have a craftsman pressure washer I bought back in 19. Has the Briggs engine and says no oil change needed ever, just checking and add. I figure this year I would go against their advice and change it anyway. No drain plug to be found. How do I drain the oil out?.was thinking of draining the gas and just tipping it over and draining it. Also can’t remember the oil type and can’t find the manual would it be SAE 30?
That's how I drain the oil on my craftsman mower, tilt it over a drain pan and whalla, put in some fresh 30w and your good to go. :D

I find it challenging to change the oil in my pressure washer (Honda GCV 190 engine). As it has 2 wheels tipping is a challenge, Just have to find a way to keep it steady while it's tilted, 'spose you could use an extractor if you don't want to tip it.

I find it challenging to change the oil in my pressure washer (Honda GCV 190 engine). As it has 2 wheels tipping is a challenge, Just have to find a way to keep it steady while it's tilted, 'spose you could use an extractor if you don't want to tip it.
I have the B&S extractor and it works really well but it's so easy to tip my mower. I use an old stainless steel dog dish, my way of remembering the ol' boy.

If you take the starter/cover off it's real easy to pull the dipstick tube on these newer B&S engines which gives a nice opening to the sump to stick a line in.

Here’s my setup. $20 pump off eBay with a bad car battery.

The hoses did take hot oil too well so I immediately stuck it down in the container to circulate cooler oil.
image.jpg

Worst $100 I didn't spend- the B&S run ok but the higher model Honda would have been a better choice. I took a chance that since they looked similar (OHV) they would perform the same. Every three years it gets an oil change- the GM 5.7L vortec plugs fit- used platinum.

My craftsman/Briggs has been finicky for the last few years. Replaced the carb and all way good. Took the plugs off the pump to lube the orings. It takes a while for it to build pressure.

Back