Craftsman pressure washer/ Briggs engine

I have a craftsman pressure washer I bought back in 19. Has the Briggs engine and says no oil change needed ever, just checking and add. I figure this year I would go against their advice and change it anyway. No drain plug to be found. How do I drain the oil out?.was thinking of draining the gas and just tipping it over and draining it. Also can’t remember the oil type and can’t find the manual would it be SAE 30?

I have a craftsman pressure washer I bought back in 19. Has the Briggs engine and says no oil change needed ever, just checking and add. I figure this year I would go against their advice and change it anyway. No drain plug to be found. How do I drain the oil out?.was thinking of draining the gas and just tipping it over and draining it. Also can’t remember the oil type and can’t find the manual would it be SAE 30?
You drain the oil out of the same hole you put it in. Now you are seeing why just like Sears Craftsman is going to go out of business!

Put some plastic/saran wrap under the gas cap and turn it over to drain it. That will prevent it from leaking out the vent while you change the oil. This isn't new, many small engines haven't had drain plugs in years, I can't remember the last one I saw that did, they've all gotten the oil changed by turning them over. Including a Honda GCV160.

Put some plastic/saran wrap under the gas cap and turn it over to drain it.
On the newer briggs that shouldn'y be necessary the caps aren't vented, they mold a small tube off the side of the fuel tank that goes into the air filter housing, the shape of the tank and position of the vent tube makes it easy to dump the oil even if the fuel tank is mostly full, because when you tip it on the side where the oil will come out the fuel tank vent will be about the fuel.

I have a 3300 PSI 2.4 GPM Honda Powered (GCV190) Craftsman pressure washer. No drain plug, tip the machine over and pour out of the fill tube. Don't overfill by even a small amount or it will be hard to start especially when cold. No issue with gasoline spilling out upside down the Honda. Great machine.

Really then why's it on a Craftsman pressure washer. They had a choice they could have used a Honda engine. Choices have consequences!
It’s on there because of cost. People want cheap and easy.

“No oil change needed” engines are nothing new and within reason, push mower vertical style engines have always been a somewhat of a pain to change. I honestly see nothing wrong with them either. If you want to change it, change it. If not, just add oil.

They do make fluid extractors too. I’d either do that or run it out of gas and change right away.

It’s on there because of cost. People want cheap and easy.
That and usually people let them sit around with fuel in them so that they get gummed up and tossed, the oil that's in them can easily last a handful of seasons until that happens and they're out shopping for a new one.

Place a plastic shopping bag under the gas cap and pour the oil out. Those no oil change Briggs run good on synthetic 5w30. My craftsman mower had that engine

Mighty Vac is easiest, tipping that sucker over is OK too. "lifetime fill" 😂 I'm guessing the engine or pump will fail before the OE fill engine oil becomes an issue.

Just tip it and drain it out the fill hole. That is the way many mowers work today. Easy Peasy.

Been changing the oil on my lawnmower like that for 20 years.
Sears 7HP self propelled walk behind. Not much has given that beast any problems.
Has an automotive type sparkplug.
I actually find it is quicker and makes less of a mess with mowers. I have a small pan I hold next to the dipstick tube as I turn the mower on its side. Much easier than trying to mess with a square drain plug under the mower caked in dried grass, but I can see how on a pressure washer tipping it over is more of a pain.

I use 5w40 or 15w40 in pressure washers.. that is hot duty for extended periods.. at least when I use one.

My "CAT" branded pressure washer has 3 drain plugs.. uses some sort of generic chinesium engine.. whatever they copied it from was nice but obv. not an engine designed specifically for this use.

I change once every couple years or 50 hours~~. Have some nice Motul 5w40 going in after I use it a few more times.

Mighty Vac is easiest, tipping that sucker over is OK too. "lifetime fill" 😂 I'm guessing the engine or pump will fail before the OE fill engine oil becomes an issue.
That’s what I’m thinking to. I figure its a throw away and not worry about basic maintenance. To me a $400 piece of equipment isn’t throw away after a couple seasons BUT that’s todays way of thinking.

Perusing Craigslist here there are plenty of pressure washers that run but don't make pressure.

Do your maintenance on the pump side of things diligently.

Back