Craftsman 32cc 4 cycle leaf blower issues.

Hey everyone, I’m having a really tough issue trying to fix with my 10 year old 32 cc 4 cycle craftsman leaf blower. Long story short it dies at wide-open throttle. It has 6 months on use when new it started died at wot then it sat for 10 years until I decided to fix the initial issue recently.
I clean the oem carb - 7 times… used to two cans of carburetor cleaner and ran wires through the Jets, Rebuilt it with new gaskets and everything. Still dies at wide-open throttle. Replaced it with Amazon special ran worse!! Put oem factory one back on… Replaced both fuel lines and in-line fuel filter in the tank, OEM genuine spark plug gap to correct gap… adjusted both valves to factory spec. What is going on here! 😂 😂 it’s one pull start and idle, and 80% throttle it’s fine, but at wot, it sputters and dies.

should I replace the carburetor with an OEM genuine one? its 50 bucks.. but It’s so simple I cannot imagine it being shot, what would you do in this situation?

thanks for all feedback!

I would first try adjusting the carb( again?)The pump diaphram has likely hardened due to age and cannot sufficiently supply the needed fuel. What brand of plug? I "think" originally came with Champion CJ8Y. Worst case is compression could be low. Would also be worth checking the flywheel key.

Last edited:
I'd Buy a new 2stroke.
I agree with you. I have a stihl 2 cycle for the serious work, this one Id like to use for the decks, and to dry off the car after I wash it 😂

I would first try adjusting the carb( again?)The pump diaphram has likely hardened due to age and cannot sufficiently supply the needed fuel. Would also be worth checking the flywheel key.
I replace the gaskets, diaphragm, adjusted the metering lever, I’m really at a loss and I don’t really want to put 50 bucks into it. I’m seconds away from tossing it tbh. But I’d like to give it one last shot.

I replace the gaskets, diaphragm, adjusted the metering lever, I’m really at a loss and I don’t really want to put 50 bucks into it. I’m seconds away from tossing it tbh. But I’d like to give it one last shot.
If you can pop off the flywheel to check the key. Any distortion to it will affect timing. I would not throw another carb at it. Might be time to toss it.

Could be a plugged up gas cap. Loosen up the gas cap and run it that way to see if it's any better.

You bought a piece of junk, what do you expect?
Another thing is that 4-stroke engines really don't like a diaphragm carb. Don't make an excuse questioning how come they work on 2-strokes.

I've had issues with my Craftsman leaf blower too. The 23cc Husqvarna 2-smoke's cylinder loosened from the crankcase. It eventually would no longer start (the cylinder got scored and was no longer round). My string trimmer uses the same engine and has been trouble free (except for fueling, see below) for +20 years

Your blower, when the throttle is wide open and it starts to sputter, close the choke a bit and see if the engine runs normally again. If it clears up, you have a fueling issue. Check the fuel lines inside the tank. Fuel lines that sit in fuel will eventually harden and crack. Does the pickup in the tank have a clunk filter? If it's a "ceramic" filter you can sometimes clear them by back flushing with car cleaner, etc.

1656179369775.png

Last edited:
I've had issues with my Craftsman leaf blower too. The 23cc Husqvarna 2-smoke's cylinder loosened from the crankcase. It eventually would no longer start (the cylinder got scored and was no longer round). My string trimmer uses the same engine and has been trouble free (except for fueling, see below) for +20 years

Your blower, when the throttle is wide open and it starts to sputter, close the choke a bit and see if the engine runs normally again. If it clears up, you have a fueling issue. Check the fuel lines inside the tank. Fuel lines that sit in fuel will eventually harden and crack. Does the pickup in the tank have a clunk filter? If it's a "ceramic" filter you can sometimes clear them by back flushing with car cleaner, etc.

View attachment 105244
If you read his original statement, he replaced all that.

I'd try rebuilding and cleaning the original carb. The diaphragm kit should be under $50. A lot of the aftermarket carbs don't have the right jets and the machine won't run right. If that doesn't fix it, probably isn't worth messing with.

A video is worth 1000 words!

so at wide open throttle if I use my finger and basically block off 75% of the intake opening it will rev out normally, as soon as I take my finger away from the carb opening, it will bog and stall at WOT unless I let off throttle to 80% then it will recover, and rev to almost normal rpm’s. It is one pull start and idle with normal ish response up to 80% throttle. Any more bog and dies. When it’s bogging giving primer kills it completely.

I kept the oem carb, and adjusted the metering lever a half a dozen times if not more… I remove this screen in the carb thinking maybe that was clogged…. Ran wires through the Jets and two cans of carburetor cleaner. Rebuilt the carb with new needle, lever, springs, gaskets , everything….. replaced primer bulb, replaced both fuel lines, replace the in-line fuel filter, spark plug to correct gap - OEM genuine, readjusted and verified valves for the third time @ 005… The oil is also brand new changed it three times over the last 2 weeks - synthetic and it’s not over filled… (3.1oz capacity ) gas is 91 ethanol free with 4oz MMO per 5 gals.

Out of desperation, I ran a half a can of seafoam (8oz) in the gas tank on blower mixed with about 4oz of mmo. The gas was literally bright red - and it made zero difference…. I let it run at 80% throttle, 40% throttle and idle over the course of a whole tank with this mixture until tank was dry… filled with regular gas and no change!!! 😠

I’m really on the fence between this $50 oem carburetor or just tossing the whole thing lol….

It ran good brand new in 2012 for less than six months. It started this same exact issue all these years ago bogging and dying at wide open throttle. threw it in the garage for a decade, until the last couple weeks I’ve decided to tackle this and fix it.

I don’t like it enough I don’t think to put the $50 into it for carb. But at same time I literally took the OEM genuine carb apart a dozen times…. And cleaned and cleaned and cleaned. And it wasn’t even dirty to begin with lol…. 😆 I had zero change with this issue even after everything I did.

it really does seem like the main jet is not big enough somehow… and the engine is being starved of fuel at wide-open throttle

But I’m afraid of wasting this $50 if there’s some sort of other major issue with this thing that I don’t know about…. Could there be? I changed the oil three times in the last week and it gets pitch black within minutes.. I am using a full synthetic high-quality motor oil, which I’m sure is a huge upgrade from the factory oil that was in it. It was never used enough even when new to have the oil changed because it seriously only ran well for a few good months when it was new.

If you guys tell me to replace the carb I will, but is it really a carb issues, I’m not sure take a look at the video please and let me know. thanks!

Update!

So as a last ditch the effort, I drilled out the main jet, and it’s a lot better! I broke the pull string though pulling it so many times 😂 and had to hook up a drill onto the shaft to turn the motor over to get it to start….

But! I would say it’s at like 95% now for small 32cc engine, I think maybe if I go up one more size on the jet it would be just about perfect.

Why though does it not run correctly with the factory size Jet? What changed after it broke in?

Thanks!

Thicker oil time.

Most of my worked small engines have drilled out jets.... were factory overtuned for emissions or power castration. Some had it done new so compression was great. Lawnmower is most obvious.... no power until the drill bit attacked the jet and now starts on one pull and chews thru thick grass.

Change that massive oil sump from SAE30 to a 10w40 motorcycle or 15w40 HDEO and see if it runs better.

I ran into this issue with those Troy Bilt 4 cycle trimmers. Ran good for a while while when new but I had to tear the carbs off to open the main jet.

The cheapo detachable straight shaft still runs like a beast several years later.

Glad you got it going!

Back