CR-V OIL LEVELS INCREASING DUE TO UNBURNED FUEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wag123
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Honda is losing its reputation every year with things like this.
I've got a relative who has a 2017 Honda Civic 1.5T, who is a mechanic. I'll ask him if oil levels are rising. Its hard to believe they "determined high oil levels do not cause engine damage" when its well known foaming happens when it starts hitting the crankshaft.

Until this is fixed, maybe put in thicker 0w30 or 0w40 and watch it thin out, maybe even empty a little out once in a while to keep it from over-filling itself. .....
Also, when changing the oil, just put in new oil enough to just barely pass the lower line on the dipstick and watch it rise, or add a little oil every other week if it doesn't go up on its own.

I'm pretty sure that Honda already specifies the use of 5W-30 in their vehicles outside of North America.
If I found that the oil level went up that much (or even half that much), I would change it immediately. Oil changes are cheap, engines and turbo chargers are not.

Honda specs 0w-20 for the 1.5T pretty much everywhere in the world, including China. The US isn’t the only place with fuel economy/CO2 standards that make light oils attractive.

It makes me wonder if this DI thing is the secret cause of all the Hyunda Oil failure motors, especially since the real cause of these common failures has never been really determined. I notice that Canadians especially seem badly affected. Too bad there’s no way to correlate the locations with the Hyundai failure simply because they are an epidemic . I also wonder I’d pouring a quart of fresh drain oil into a mason jar might settle out enough to see.
One thing for sure. It’s a great case for staying away from extended oil changes with these problematic critters.

WOW! manufacturers tout test test test BUT the first buyers are the beta testers in the REAL world, seems be it engine or tranny its learn as you go!!!! even if i could afford new it WOULD NOT be a new design engine or tranny + that 1/4 to 1/2 mpg gainer by 3in1 oil means little, generally wearing engines faster!!

Thanks Sir...

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Wonder if the new Mitsubishi 1.5 Turbo DI. Engine has anything in common
with the Honda unit?

The Mitsubishi 4B4 engine is from a older design Mitsubishi had made before.

Originally Posted By: webfors
but but but.... the engineers/manufacturers are infallible! They wouldn't possibly design a defective engine and recommend too low a viscosity that could cause any harm... blasphemy!!

Who said viscosity is the issue?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Gasoline must not make a good engine oil additive. 21 mm is getting close to one inch....ouch.

I bet it keeps things inside the engine clean though.....
wink.gif

better than MMO!

'I also wonder I’d pouring a quart of fresh drain oil into a mason jar might settle out enough to see. '

I did this for other reasons but no, the fuel did not separate over time.

No one seems on board with me..When I read +.5qt. I'll draw out 1.5qt. with my modified (extractor tube diameter too large) MityVac then add back 1 qt. fresh...takes 10min. in the cold months, bumped up the grade too, this seems to be working just fine and must be protecting the engine certainly from overfill and depleted lubricant...meanwhile I'm enjoying what is otherwise a real slick little motor.

My engine is hardly under duress...

Originally Posted By: dblshock

Other than the high cylinder pressures at such low RPM. Don't be fooled, that engine is working quite hard, with a manifold pressure at or above atmospheric in typical highway driving. If it were normally aspirated, it'd be floored with the throttle plate fully open for hours on end.

When was the last time you saw a normally aspirated, full size sedan or modest size SUV with just 1500cc worth of engine? Never, because without a turbocharger, it would have been too slow to be practical.

'I also wonder I’d pouring a quart of fresh drain oil into a mason jar might settle out enough to see. '

No one seems on board with me..When I read +.5qt. I'll draw out 1.5qt. with my modified (extractor tube diameter too large) MityVac then add back 1 qt. fresh...takes 10min. in the cold months, bumped up the grade too, this seems to be working just fine and must be protecting the engine certainly from overfill and depleted lubricant...meanwhile I'm enjoying what is otherwise a real slick little motor.

Engine oil and gasoline are miscible, forming a heterogeneous mixture when combined and won’t separate. If you leave the jar uncapped the lightest elements of gasoline will slowly evaporate, but they won’t separate. Water, if any, will separate and will be at the bottom of the mason jar.

Originally Posted By: Cujet

Other than the high cylinder pressures at such low RPM. Don't be fooled, that engine is working quite hard, with a manifold pressure at or above atmospheric in typical highway driving. If it were normally aspirated, it'd be floored with the throttle plate fully open for hours on end.

When was the last time you saw a normally aspirated, full size sedan or modest size SUV with just 1500cc worth of engine? Never, because without a turbocharger, it would have been too slow to be practical.

Yeah, I think alot of engines are running quite high cylinder pressures and bearing loadings at low rpms with the skinniest bearings they can run with 20w oil... My Subaru specs 0W20 and it will accelerate at 1200rpm if you are gentle on the pedal... Also atleast in the Outback, they also sized the oil cooling so its around 205F idling along at 1600 rpm on the highway in 32F weather. No DI though so no dilution to make the problems worse.
RAM got caught with lugging the ecodiesel too much with 30W oil.

"When was the last time you saw a normally aspirated, full size sedan or modest size SUV with just 1500cc worth of engine? Never, because without a turbocharger, it would have been too slow to be practical."
Exactly. I test drove a 2018 CRV (1.5 turbo) a couple months ago, and liked how it drove. But I just wouldn't be comfortable with such a small displacement engine pushing around an AWD SUV. Especially against a 50 mph headwind (a regular thing in springtime here) on the hwy. Which is exactly what we'll be doing today, for our weekly 1 hr trip to the city (with our 3.8 litre Buick).
I do think that manufacturers are under tremendous pressure to meet regs, which is resulting in compromises in reliability.

Well having that been said, IMO they do have a marketable platform in TGDI, packs a punch and delivers efficiency all in a lighter weight, win win win.

I don't see the 1.5L turbo-DI LYX GM 2018 engine doing the fuel dilution in my car. Wonder if other GM owners are getting it????
Anyway, you can bet Honda is comparing their fuel injector nozzles (finer mists better) and ring mechanics with other 1.5L turbo-DI engines out there to see what they are doing wrong. They don't like hits to their reputation and warranty claims.

I wonder if using low octane gasoline has something to do with this as well. Lower octane gas will result in more unburnt fuel.

I'm very curious on what is causing the problem.

Originally Posted By: carviewsonic
Exactly. I test drove a 2018 CRV (1.5 turbo) a couple months ago, and liked how it drove. But I just wouldn't be comfortable with such a small displacement engine pushing around an AWD SUV. Especially against a 50 mph headwind (a regular thing in springtime here) on the hwy. Which is exactly what we'll be doing today, for our weekly 1 hr trip to the city (with our 3.8 litre Buick).
I do think that manufacturers are under tremendous pressure to meet regs, which is resulting in compromises in reliability.

These engines are designed from the ground up. It's not like they stuck a turbo on a NA 1.5L. I would feel comfortable getting one of these cars.

That being said there might be problems due to automakers not having a lot of experience with turbo engines.

From what I've read into the fuel dilution problem is that the 1.5T uses direct injection. The larger 2.0T, like on the Accord, uses a multi-port injection and those engines are not having fuel dilution problems.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Gasoline must not make a good engine oil additive. 21 mm is getting close to one inch....ouch.

I bet it keeps things inside the engine clean though.....
wink.gif

better than MMO!

Hands down the winner in that department.
wink.gif
It will clean oil paint out of paint brushes in a pinch too.

Quote:

No one seems on board with me..When I read +.5qt. I'll draw out 1.5qt. with my modified (extractor tube diameter too large) MityVac then add back 1 qt. fresh...takes 10min.

Isn't gasoline lighter than oil? Let's say they did separate out (which according to another poster they won't), wouldn't your MityVac tube go all the way to the bottom of the pan and suck the oil but leave the gasoline?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back