CR: LED Headlights vs Halogen Headlights

LED headlamps are the new norm and thus, are / will be repairable.

Bake the light, remove the lens, change the LED, and seal it back up. Only those that can't DIY will pay the big bucks, same as it is now.

High dollar headlights are nothing new. HIDs have been self leveling since their inception - ever price out one of those?
I’ve done this a number of times.... and FAILED badly with my 2018 f150. In that truck, which has notoriously poor lamps, the plastic rear housing softens in the oven before the 5.5 linear feet of glue. Yes, that was a surprise, it didn’t go well.

I installed Hikari led bulbs in my 17 accord. Much better illumination, brighter white. Much better than the stock halogens

when I drive my wife’s Altima with halogens, I can’t wait to get out. The yellow dim light drives me crazy

The Hikari bulbs have been recalled.

The Hikari bulbs have been recalled.

I don’t think my model number is on the recall, and even if it was I wouldn’t take them out. I’ve never had anyone flash their high beams at me or anyone ever say anything to me about them being too bright in the year and a half I’ve had them

What a joke of an article
crackmeup2.gif
Those Corolla LED's are amazing, they blow my 9011 swapped halogens out of this universe! Wish I could retrofit those into both my cars.
Consumer reports is a joke of a paper, they know nothing about cars

I never thought I would think about headlights when I buy another car but it’s going to be one of the deciding factors which one I buy as I do LOTS of night driving ( no street lights....highway ) and they make a huge difference. I think people can find out reading stuff published by some insurance institute . We have a Honda Fit ( and two Civics ) and it has terrible headlights. You do not realize your driving a car with bad headlights until you drive another car and it’s noticeable.

I'm firmly in the halogen projector light camp but completely get it; LED is the new norm. If i get a vehicle with them, i'll try to learn the ins-and-outs in case of failure.

That's my biggest critique about LED's is the throw and how easily the light gets washed out, especially on rainy/wet roads and with other lights present.

HID projectors 4 lyfe

That's my biggest critique about LED's is the throw and how easily the light gets washed out, especially on rainy/wet roads and with other lights present.

HID projectors 4 lyfe
You are the second person to say this. The LEDs on my Toyota are significantly better than any HID or halogen setup that I’ve had on dark wet roads.

Yup, there sure is.

My Cayman's headlights (HID Xenon Low, Halogen High) are leagues better than the headlights on my wife's Abarth (Halogen Projector with lifting shutter for High Beam) for overall illumination, and throw down the road, in all weather conditions. They even turn as you steer around corners. That's a feature I wish I had held out for on the new Afla we recently bought, but the 2 dealers here in CO don't package cars on their lots the way I would buy them (all performance options, no fluff).

My two Mazdas (CX-5 and RX-8) both used Halogen Projectors for Low Beam, with Halogen Reflector for high beam, and both of those cars were also fantastic at night, but the CX-5 would get washed out in rainy conditions, and I just couldn't see as well on low beam until I replaced the bulbs with a fresh set.

My '07 Altima's headlights were fantastic, in my opinion, right up until I bought a '98 Boxster, and found out what headlights could be like.
My wife's '08 Crossfire had what I feel are the worst set of projector headlights I've ever driven at night. It had separate projectors for low and high beam, and neither of them were any good.
You couldn't pay me to drive her old '01 PT Cruiser at night, Halogen reflectors for both low and high beam.

I could complain about the Halogens in my old '92 Buick Park Avenue, but they were so much better than the sealed beam headlights in the 81 Pontiac Grand Prix, '82 Chevy Monte Carlo, the '78 Buick Parisienne, and the '76 Chevy Caprice Estate that I had owned and driven before I bought the '92 Buick.

I look forward to my next car, which will probably be a new Mazda 6 in a few more years.
I expect its headlights to be fantastic, whatever they are.

Hid can put out much sharper and further reaching than halogen. Certain manufacturers are better than others. Stanley/Koito or valeo have better optics. If manufacturers used a projector set-up on LEDs they would have less glare.

Yet sooooo many people want to "mod" their vehicles to switch from halogen bulbs to LED. Many people suggest they not do it since the projectors weren't designed for LEDs but those that have already switched to LEDs will swear up and down that they're better. My feeling is they won't admit the work they did was all for nothing....
They likely compare worn out aged halogen that doesn't light up much anymore, and compare to a new LED.

Back