Couldn't take it anymore

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Wife and I drove up to Orillia today to look at some trailers and it was wet/raining. Pulled out onto a main road and could not accelerate. Touching the gas had the truck walking its ass sideways. This is not the first time I've experienced it, this is what had me looking at tossing these tires last year and I'm finally fed up enough that I've ordered new ones, which I did about 30 seconds after this event.

Trucks has ~40,000Km on it and gets dedicated snows every winter. Despite that, and the absolutely horrific wet traction these tires serve up, these are burning off at an alarming rate (quite unlike the snow tires, which are wearing exceptionally well).

Some pics:
Rear:
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1201.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_11ff.jpg

Front:
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1202.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_11f9.jpg

Sidewall:
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1200.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1204.jpg

These are by far the worst brand name tires I've ever owned (which I believe I've opined on in a previous thread). While they hook-up just fine in the dry; I'd argue they actually are quite good in the dry, their wet traction is next-level bad. My reference is the snows, which we just took off a few weeks ago, which are orders of magnitude better in the wet than these are.

Replacement are Michelin Defender LTX M/S, hope to have them installed in the next couple of days.

No traction control? Lead foot?

It has traction control. This was like being on glare ice, where literally breaking the throttle off-idle was enough to spin them. You really have to experience it to understand just how bad it is. It's also not like this on all surfaces, certain roads bring it out much more than others. But I've driven the same roads, wet, with the snow tires without issue.

Good move. Tell us how you like the new Defenders over time.

I've had Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor "LT" tires do well on ice and snow in Alaska, but only that model Goodyear.

Report back someday.

Good move. Tell us how you like the new Defenders over time.

Of course. I've owned several sets of LTX's over the years (the original LTX M/S and its successor the LTX M/S2) and have always been very pleased with their capability, particularly in adverse conditions. We never ran dedicated snows on our Expedition, just LTX's, as they were incredibly good on ice for an all season. I know a guy I work with who had them installed on his 1500 is very pleased with them.

Good choice.
This from TireSize:
EverTread compound and MaxTouch Construction help the Michelin Defender LTX last longer, stop faster, and save you gas mileage. The Defender LTX has an improved tread life in severe conditions, is eco friendly, and provides excellent wet weather traction.

The 285/45R22 Michelin Defender LTX M/S has a diameter of 32.1", a width of 11.2", mounts on a 22" rim and has 648 revolutions per mile. It weighs 33 lbs, has a max load of 2337 lbs, a maximum air pressure of 44 psi, a tread depth of 10.5/32" and should be used on a rim width of 9-10.5".

How much tread did you have on that first tire? It looks a little close to the wear bar. The second one seems a little better. I think you need at least 4/32s to be good in the rain, about 5/32s for the snow.

Wife and I drove up to Orillia today to look at some trailers and it was wet/raining. Pulled out onto a main road and could not accelerate. Touching the gas had the truck walking its ass sideways. This is not the first time I've experienced it, this is what had me looking at tossing these tires last year and I'm finally fed up enough that I've ordered new ones, which I did about 30 seconds after this event.

Trucks has ~40,000Km on it and gets dedicated snows every winter. Despite that, and the absolutely horrific wet traction these tires serve up, these are burning off at an alarming rate (quite unlike the snow tires, which are wearing exceptionally well).

Some pics:
Rear:
View attachment 53764
View attachment 53765

Front:
View attachment 53766
View attachment 53767

Sidewall:
View attachment 53768
View attachment 53769

These are by far the worst brand name tires I've ever owned (which I believe I've opined on in a previous thread). While they hook-up just fine in the dry; I'd argue they actually are quite good in the dry, their wet traction is next-level bad. My reference is the snows, which we just took off a few weeks ago, which are orders of magnitude better in the wet than these are.

Replacement are Michelin Defender LTX M/S, hope to have them installed in the next couple of days.
Had Eagles on the PT Cruiser when new. Got rid of them in less than 600 miles.

I can honestly say the only set of Goodyear tires I ever owned were Goodyear Tiempos ; I think that was 1984 or so.

My father had some sort of Eagles on his 89 SHO; those didn't last long. (about as long as the clutch)

The xB in my sig came with Eagle LS tires, I changed & gave them away in under 5K miles. Worthless! The Assurance Tripletreds were the only GY passenger car tire worth having-and they discontinued them!

OE tires suck, and a lot of people don't like Goodyear, either. Put them together and you get chaos :alien: :poop:

Most OE tires are designed to be cheap and maybe get good mpg, disregarding anything else. Even aftermarket tires of the same name can be vastly different than OE tires of the same name. For example, if you ordered a set of Goodyear Eagle Touring from Tire Rack, they wouldn't be as bad as the ones you chucked.

The Defender LTX M/S is a good choice :)

@slacktide_bitog
I’m not too sure about your theory. My current F-150 and my previous Escape both came shod with Michelins. They are the exact same tires that you would buy at any tire dealer. The same goes for our VW Tiguan. The OE tires are Bridgestone and they are the exact same tire you can buy from a tire dealer.

Back