could a commuter motorcycle save $$?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Figure it this way: The bucks are the same up front. However, you're not putting out money for stress meds (liquor), therapists, or other silly expensive hobbies. Riding sounds like a winner to me!
grin.gif
wink.gif
smile.gif
cool.gif
cheers.gif
burnout.gif

Insurance is where I had my biggest savings on my RC51, a full fairing 1000cc sportbike...Insurance was about $23 a month...A 250cc nighthawk should be cheaper, at least it should be for me. My car insurance (minumum), 30's married male with no accidents runs about $60 per month for me. MC saves me $480 per year for that application.

As far as gas savings goes it depends what kind of car you're coming from and the gas price...

If gas goes up to $3 or higher and you're getting 50 mpg or more with a gentle throttle hand you're going to save some money. especially if you've got a 20 mpg highway guzzler.

I owned a 900cc bike but switched to a Miata for a weekend toy. It takes the willpower of a saint to ride a bike in a sane manner. I also agree you won't save a dime.

Your fuel cost is approx $300-$400/year to commute with car. Motorcycles are great for nice days ie not winter in ME which lasts a while.

Buy the motorcycle if you want it, however given you only have limited days you can use motorcycle in ME I don't see the benefit.

I ride a Honda VTR, 1000cc bike and it gets 33 mpg. My Civic gets 37-39 mpg. The car is a yawn to drive, the VTR is a life changing experience. If all you want is to save money, pump up your tires and skip the bike.

Now for a bike story. There is a back road in the mountains that I ride a lot, dive into the corners and roll it on pretty hard coming out and sometimes a big blast of throttle down some of the straights. I was comming into one of my favorite corners, wide part of the road with passing room throughout the turn and passed two Corvetts diving in and really stepped on it comming out. They looked like they were standing still. A little later I meet them at a country gas station down the road. They said they were chasing each other and going as fast as they though anyone could through the turn. Welcome to the world of rice-rockets.

Motorcycling takes commitment and focus, in order to stay alive. Do not base your decision on saving money. It also takes commitment and focus to avoid being seduced by the power and handling of the bike.

I always recommend that beginners start out on the dirt, off road. You can learn the basics of traction and control without killing yourself, as falling in the dirt is usually not fatal. I did all my falling in the dirt, with only sprains and gravel rash as injuries. If that is not possible, take as many classes as you can, and practice outside of traffic areas. Learning in traffic almost always leads to an accident. Wear a helmet, as even a simple fall at a stop sign without a helmet can be fatal (streets and curbs are harder than your head).

I rode for 30 years on the street, most of it commuting, as well as pleasure riding. Commuting requires good protective equipment, and rain gear. Always wear some kind of jacket and gloves, as taking a stone in the chest or hands really hurts (and that is with the protective gear). I quit recently due to age, reflexes that are slower, and not as much of a commitment anymore. Riders like me, with that many years on the street and no accidents, are not common.

One last thought: Do not demand your right of way, yield to everyone. In any accident, even a “minor” one, the motorcyclist will be the one that is seriously injured.

I can commute about 8 out of 12 months here in MN. Yeah, the bikes get 45mpg in town vs 15-16mpg for the van, but at the end of the year it's really a wash. If you live in a state where you can ride year round and not rely on a four wheeler, then the savings could be big, but not in the da frozen north.

I haven't read the posts above but here's what I have to say, Motorcycle riding is expensive if you do it right. Gear, insurance, and maintenance all cost more. You burn through tires more often and a rear tire will go for more than 4 13" tires. Chains and sprockets are also an issue on most bikes. The gear will cost you a lot if you get something for every type of weather.

I'd still commute on my bike if I didn't drive my car for a living.

Cheers, Steve

quote:

Originally posted by OMCWankel:

I rode for 30 years on the street, most of it commuting, as well as pleasure riding. Commuting requires good protective equipment, and rain gear. Always wear some kind of jacket and gloves, as taking a stone in the chest or hands really hurts (and that is with the protective gear). I quit recently due to age, reflexes that are slower, and not as much of a commitment anymore. Riders like me, with that many years on the street and no accidents, are not common.

One last thought: Do not demand your right of way, yield to everyone. In any accident, even a “minor” one, the motorcyclist will be the one that is seriously injured.

That's pretty much my story, I rode off and on for 38 years. For my street riding, one serious crash the first year I was riding and still foolish. After than one minor dump at about a year later when I hit some ice. Other than that I don't recall ever going down while moving.

It sounds like you were a pretty wise rider. It disturbs me to keep hearing rider complain about homicidal maniac drivers who don't see them. It's the riders obligation compensate for brain dead drivers. If you can't do that you shouldn't be riding. They can whine all they want about lousy cage driver, but in the end all their whining doesn't matter. You either learn to deal with traffic as it is or eventually deal with it in a painful way.

By the time I was 60 my reactions and edge were getting to the point that traffic was starting to occaasionally surprise me when in the past my mental radar would have kept me aware of the situation.

Now that I'm a retired olde pharte, I've stepped down to an old mans car, a Corvette.

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:

It disturbs me to keep hearing rider complain about homicidal maniac drivers who don't see them. It's the riders obligation compensate for brain dead drivers. If you can't do that you shouldn't be riding. They can whine all they want about lousy cage driver, but in the end all their whining doesn't matter. You either learn to deal with traffic as it is or eventually deal with it in a painful way.

By the time I was 60 my reactions and edge were getting to the point that traffic was starting to occaasionally surprise me when in the past my mental radar would have kept me aware of the situation.

Now that I'm a retired olde pharte, I've stepped down to an old mans car, a Corvette.

Excellent post, XS650
cheers.gif

Your comment also applies to those who are in cars. The same brain dead driver that would hit the bike, will hit you in your Corvette, and me in my RX8. If you do not compensate for that bad driver, both of you will pay. It always bothers me when people talk about how "my rights to the road were violated". No one has "rights" to the road, in my opinion. We all have an OBLIGATION to use the road responsibly, and look out for our fellow travelers.

quote:

Originally posted by OMCWankel:

man... I wish the kids today riding these sport bikes would realize that... Nothing more frustrating than trying to make a quick lane change, etc. in traffic, only to have a bunch of kids buzzing between cars on their bikes at high speeds, or driving fast and having kids weave in and out of the cars very fast. Some day one is going to fall off and I or someone in a nearby car is going to run them over.

When I see a motorcycle, I get away as soon as I can, because most of the younger drivers are complete tools and total idiots... worse than the ricers in their hondas.

JMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back