Costco requiring membership for food court

Originally Posted by PW01
Why would anyone expect to buy anything from, or use any service of, Costco without buying a membership?

Membership stores are a recent advent and unnecessary.

Reality as mentioned is that many groceries even Aldi have sales and clearance priced far below Cosco

Only reason to go there is for "unique " overpriced name brands.

Nice once and a while but certainly not worth a member ship fee for the small amount I would purchase

And yes feel the same way about Sams

To me (a non member) Costco has a consistently higher quality of a lot of produces and food that I cannot find for the same price in say, Safeway or Trader Joe's. I have a small family so I don't have a membership, but the older folks I know tend to buy a lot of foods and cook a lot, and they tend to spend a lot of money there. I usually just tag along with others to get something once in a while (Vitamins, wines, bulk pack of food, etc).

I think the same can be said for Amazon Prime. It is useful for some or for me once in a while, so I only join the "trial" once a year for free.

PUBLIX has tons of buy one , get one free deals every week.

Don't forget the $10 off any $50 gas card with $50 grocery purchase.

Publix has TONS of BOGO free deals and regular $10 off any $50 gas card deals.

Don‘t forget to grab a Pubilx sub from the deli, their subs are sooooo delicious. 😋

I see no need to pay for a membership at Costco, BJs or Sam’s....

Last edited:
The Costco value proposition is a combination of quality, cost, and speed.

It will rarely be the cheapest.
It will always be high quality.
It is almost always readily available.

It is this unique combination that results in Costco's remarkable success.

You can always find the BITOG faithful that will say they can get a similar product at a rock bottom lower price. They'll certainly get it at a lower price but rarely at the unique combination of cost, speed, and quality.

Here is an excellent write up from Forbes magazine analyzing their value prop.

Back