Costco requiring membership for food court

daughter sent me this . don't know how they will enforce it

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by JustinH
does someone really want to go out of their way to get a dollar hot dog, if they aren't already in costco shopping?

At the Issaquah Costco, which happens to be where the HQ is located at there is a fed ex warehouse right down the street. i have seen many times a fed ex driver park and get out and get food. this one the food court is outside

i think a lot of people were getting in without membership by telling the person at the front door they are just going to the food court.

Last edited:
I believe the old trick of having someone buy you a Costco gift card still works. You can show that to get in. It's kind of a pain when you check out though as they have to call over a supervisor if you don't have a membership card.

does someone really want to go out of their way to get a dollar hot dog, if they aren't already in costco shopping?

I believe the hot dog is $1.50 and it's been that price for years. They had to source their own hot dogs to keep that price that low. Same deal with the chicken, they have their own poultry farm. No one else can come close to the $5 chicken although BJs also has it for the same price.

I think the pizza is average but I guess it's good enough that I see people buying entire pizzas all the time. I recall reading that if they were a chain, their pizza sales alone would be up there on a national scale.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Here they check your Costco card before they let you enter the store.

there are some costcos the food court is outside. Kirkland and Issaquah WA are 2

Supposedly that pix is from the costco in Mountainview CA

The store and food court/service desk are two different entrances in PA.

In Ohio, they must let you in any membership club store that has a pharmacy, so you simply say I'm going to the pharmacy. They don't chaperon you to make sure your not browsing around
if your such a customer. I know as I took my younger sister to Costco years ago to get her Suboxone RX

You'd be surprised.

Worked at a place that was near a large shopping area with plenty of restaurants. There was a Sam's club several miles down the road, at the end of that development. Had a coworker, who was not a Sam's member, who would drive past literally two dozen restaurants to get a 'cheap' lunch at Sam's, and several times a week at that.

I have a Sams club membership and I do occasionally buy the $1.50 hot dog or slice of pizza, which mimics Costco.

As to showing your membership card at the door, I have never once shown it. They have asked but I have walked right past them, pointed to something off in the distance, and just kept walking. They sometimes ask for your card, they sometimes don't. I don't care to whip my wallet out and waste time so I flat out refuse to show my card.

And yes, people will drive past several restaurants to go to Sams or Costco cafe. You can get a hot dog AND a drink for $1.50. That's a cheap lunch. A McDonalds lunch will set you back $10 these days...

I have 4 grandsons and take them to Costco for the dog and drink a couple times over the summer. They love it and I love the price.

Back