Costco for tires

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Was in costco with family this weekend, and stopped in the auto department to get prices on tires -specifically the primacy mxm4 tires for our vw that ill be buying in the fall. Wow, their prices are excellent!

Shipped from tire rack, the price is $582, while Costco with whatever sale they had, was $535, with tax and tire fee. Installation would cost for either, so same boat for both, but Costco wants $15 for mount and balance, while most places around here want $19-20 per tire to mount and balance.

And compared to the cost at auto stores, its almost worth paying for a membership.

Has anyone had issues with Costco for tires? The guy there told me he keeps those specific tires in stock with decent inventory, fwiw.

Mine don't do alignments, so after install it's off to the alignment shop, or, look at the deal sites for when Discount Tire is having a deal. It's closer to the alignment shop
smile.gif

The Alhambra Costco is about the busiest in the developed world. If not the first few customers on a Saturday they back up for an hour or two.

i never had luck with costco i purchased tires there but they did not seem so great.... the other thing is you will likely wait for hours and you dont want to leave your car with some of those shops

I've only bought tires there once and it was a good experience. They will only mount tires that meet the manufacturer's specs for size and speed rating (they will sell tires that have a higher speed rating than what is called for, but not lower). The price includes valve stems, disposal, rotations, re-balancing, and road hazard, I believe.

I've been going to Costco for Michelin tires for about 20 years. 15 years ago Costco would not torque the lug nuts and just ran an air gun to tighten the lug nuts. I guess they had too many complaints about warped rotors and I notice they use a torque wrench when they install wheels today.

Can't speak for how the Costcos are in NJ, but I have never had problems with them here. Had a set of tires put on a Silverado I used to own. Always quick to do a pressure check for you, and would get them rotated while I did my shopping. Very convenient if you do a lot of shopping there. I suppose if you didn't, or, if it was out of your way to go there, then maybe it wouldn't be worth it? And as far as the shops being busy, to me that is a good thing...they are doing something right to warrant the volume.

Good and bad.

Had good and bad experiences. Not many choices but ok for regular street cars if you are not too particular. Will not knowingly sell you the wrong size or speed rating. However they refused to sell tires on and old Mercedes Diesel that was supposed to have V rated tires which Costco did not have in the stock size. Not sure why such a slow car needs V rated tires but had to go elsewhere.

Have gotten pro rated credit for worn out tires applied to price of new tires. Once, one Costco store refused to pro rate credit for worn out tires but a different one did.

Once Costco almost refused to rotate my tires with only a receipt for 2 tires until I came up with all receipts proving that tires were all bought at Costco. Receipts were in the car so it did not take long. Seems stupid as all 4 were same brand, model and were from Costco.

Waited 3 hrs to rotate tires once this year. About 100 times longer than Tesla can swap a battery.

This month tried to get a screw damaged tire repaired. Costco originally sold it. Costco tire man refused. No service at 5PM as they closed at 6PM that day. Tires too worn out. Costco will not fix worn out tires. Two tires almost down to wear bar, two not that low. Asked if would sell two tires as two were not worn out. Too old according to Costco tire man. Would not sell 2 new tires to go with two old made in 2006 not worn tires. I think they offered Michelin Defender at about $139 each size 215 60 16 not including $15 mounting, tax, disp fee unknown. Would have to come back next day if any tire was to be mounted.

Forgot if treadwear warranty would apply if I bought 4 new tires from Costco like it has before. Might ask next time.

None the first time I bought the Silverado there. I even told them if I can go up one tire size (OEM 255/70R16) so I went with Bridgestone Dueler Alenzas in 265/70R16 size. Plus you get free rotations/tire balanace/nitrogen top-offs for 5 years/60,000mi on street tires/none on offroad tires.

I use to be a discount tire ONLY customer but Costco beat them on price a few years back for some Michelin tires. I've only experienced professional discount tire type of service from Costco, it's true of the delays (I shop anyways) but I always had that wait with discount tire. I've always seen them use a impact to remove the wheels but they always use a torque wrench during installation and they provide free nitrogen for the tires. If you like Bridgestone or Michelin Costco is really hard to beat.

Costco is a stickler for only installing the OEM size and OEM speed rating or higher. If you plan to "play by the rules," then it's a fine establishment to use.

The downside to Costco is that they are first-come/first-serve, and have a tendency to back-up for hours at a time. However, their techs do not appear to be rushing through every car like Discount Tire does. In addition, they are open Sundays - which is not true for many tire shops.

Their installation package truly cannot be beat - $15 gets you lifetime balance and pro-rated road hazard. They also run $70 off on Michelin about every 6 weeks, so their prices are usually quite competitive.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Shipped from tire rack, the price is $582, while Costco with whatever sale they had, was $535, with tax and tire fee. Installation would cost for either, so same boat for both, but Costco wants $15 for mount and balance, while most places around here want $19-20 per tire to mount and balance.

With warehouse clubs in town, I've never found buying tires online to be cost competitive. I've been buying Michelins from Sam's Club for years, and they're always professional and courteous. A new BJs just opened up in town, and they, too, seem to be on the stick. I may buy our Acura's next set of tires from them this fall. I've never bought tires from Costco, but our family was a member of Price Club before Costco bought them, and bought a few sets of tires through Price Club.

The only downside is the sales staff is usually not terribly knowledgeable about tires, so I find that you get the best experience if you know what you want and go in asking for a particular product.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Was in costco with family this weekend, and stopped in the auto department to get prices on tires -specifically the primacy mxm4 tires for our vw that ill be buying in the fall. Wow, their prices are excellent!

And compared to the cost at auto stores, its almost worth paying for a membership.

Has anyone had issues with Costco for tires? The guy there told me he keeps those specific tires in stock with decent inventory, fwiw.

I have been thinking about it myself. My brother buys from them all the time with great experiences.
He go 4 tires on his car and a good while (i have no idea but they were worn) later got a flat. He put the spare on and went to Cosco, you know they changed all 4 tires free of charge!
It is a AWD btw so that may have something to do with it.

I have a Cosco membership just for 9v batteries. No joke they have 10 and 20 pack brand name for short money and i use a lot of them in smoke detectors in the buildings.
I save the cost of membership on batteries alone.
Keep an eve on the watches! i got an Omega Seamaster there for about $1200 that savings alone pays for the membership for the next almost 20 years.

Costco is a place I like to go, but the tire center is the last reason. Have never felt the prices were any good.

Went to discount tire in Michigan about 2 months ago or so... Was a great experience.

Last edited:
Costco usually has either Bridgestone or Michelin on sale. They usually run them for two periods i.e. the same sale will be active in two consecutive booklets. So if you miss one, you end up waiting for about 8 weeks before it comes back. I just missed the Michelin and will now be waiting for couple months before it is back.

I've had nothing but good luck with my Costco and tires. They have the brand I like (Michelin), will order tires I need that aren't in stock, and the guys at my store are competent.

I always did Costco for tires; good prices and good service.

Discount Tire gets my business now as I like being able to schedule an appointment for a rotation. Costco is walk-in only. Not a problem when we make a 'big' trip and will be inside for 2 hours, but not worth it when I was just picking up a gallon of milk and a can of coffee.

Originally Posted By: Hermann
How much is a Costco membership these days?

I pay $110 for the executive membership, but my refund check was $198 last year.

When I tried to buy a set of tires for my 89 Accord Costco would not sell me what I wanted to buy in the 195/60/14 85H configuration. When I asked why they referred to "the book," as though it were the Tire Bible. You see, "the book" states that my car had to have 89H load rating. I stated that I had never used anything but 85H since I replaced the first set of tires in 1991. So, I asked what they had available with the 89H rating. The answer was "nothing." Sam's ended up selling me a set of 85H, though, their "book" said the same thing.

So, it's Discount Tire for me these days. Glad I at least have more choices now with the Mazda since there's not much variety to fit 14" rims anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back