Costco Diesel

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
A friend has a Ford Powerstroke and will be traveling in areas where Costco sells Diesel fuel. He buys his gas at Costco and was wondering about their Diesel fuel. Is it pretty much like any other Diesel fuel, does it offer Top Tier benefits, has anyone had problems using it? He asked me about it and I don't know much ... it's been years since I've owned a Diesel. Thought I'd ask here to see if I can help him... thanks!

Costco really is the only one.

The only difference I can see is that TT diesel is going to have more oxidative resistance and better lubricity (how much is unknown).

NOTE about lubricity. A lot of bruha was made over the higher amount of wear allowed by the US standard (D975) when compared to European standard (ISO 12156-1). While the standards use the same test bed (High Frequency Reciprocating Rig (HFRR) the some differences between them which don't make it a like-kind comparison.

Top tier diesel isn’t widely seen and isn’t as important as top tier gasoline IMO. For me on vehicle fuel filtration and station volume are the 2 biggest areas I look at. You want a high volume station that has fresh fuel. Fuel filter changes are also important.

Just my $0.02

No Diesel here either. Costco may be the cheapest gas in that city but the stations on the city next door is even cheaper.

Not worth the 40 min 1 way drive to go to Costco just for gas.
I notice when gas gets expensive the price difference between CostCo and others shrink dramatically. At least here in Utah. As of now-there is only a 9 cent/a gallon difference. So if you buy 15-20 gallons it's not worth waiting in the lines at CostCo.

I notice when gas gets expensive the price difference between CostCo and others shrink dramatically. At least here in Utah. As of now-there is only a 9 cent/a gallon difference. So if you buy 15-20 gallons it's not worth waiting in the lines at CostCo.
You just have to time your visits to avoid the lines. The secret is to hit the Costco gas station during the 1 hr window before or after the store opens/closes.

You just have to time your visits to avoid the lines. The secret is to hit the Costco gas station during the 1 hr window before or after the store opens/closes.
That is what I do with a Costco four miles from my house. I leave at 830pm when the station closes at 9pm and get there and almost no one is there.

Costco really is the only one.

The only difference I can see is that TT diesel is going to have more oxidative resistance and better lubricity (how much is unknown).

NOTE about lubricity. A lot of bruha was made over the higher amount of wear allowed by the US standard (D975) when compared to European standard (ISO 12156-1). While the standards use the same test bed (High Frequency Reciprocating Rig (HFRR) the some differences between them which don't make it a like-kind comparison.

Thanks for the useful information. (y)

Worry more about cloud point depending on your region. No published number out in the public for the most part but it is simple to figure out on you own if you want to take the time.

In my experience fresh fuel, cleanliness, & keeping the tank full as much as possible makes a bigger difference than overpaying for “name brands” (which often sit around & absorb moisture BC the higher price slows down the fuel sales & turnover). A lubricity additive for older IP diesels is never a bad idea, but cheap 2-stroke seems almost as good as anything more expensive. I’m not sure modern CR diesels need much at all, other than the correct fuel for temperature conditions.

In my experience fresh fuel, cleanliness, & keeping the tank full as much as possible makes a bigger difference than overpaying for “name brands” (which often sit around & absorb moisture BC the higher price slows down the fuel sales & turnover). A lubricity additive for older IP diesels is never a bad idea, but cheap 2-stroke seems almost as good as anything more expensive. I’m not sure modern CR diesels need much at all, other than the correct fuel for temperature conditions.

Agree HPCR don’t need much. I add some Howes to my diesel between November and March to prevent gelling. I know most stations treat fuel here in the Midwest but you never know how well. I subscribe to the ounce of prevention method.

I also buy fuel from busy stations that keep fuel turning. I don’t worry about a few cents when it comes to a several thousand dollar system.

Just my $0.02

Back