Premium Diesel and additives?

So I was wondering the following: I drive an diesel car, the brand is Volvo V40 D4 (5-cyl). I try to maintain the car as good as possible.

I was wondering is an diesel premium fuel really beter than regular fuel? I know they do in all sorts of diesel (and gasoline), they add additives, but what benefits does an premium diesel fuel have, beside the cleaning possibilities? Is it true that you can get a better diesel milieage?

I tried to see/measure the differences between two regular and premium diesel, but don't see much, engine seems to run a bit smooter.

Thanks in advance!

Note! I couldn't find much about diesel premium (but a lot about gasolines topics, that's why this question here).

Last edited:
Depends on your local market. Typically "premium" diesel will at least have a higher cetane rating compared to standard diesel.

Due to low consumer demand premium diesel unfortunately isn't a thing in the US unlike Europe/UK. In the US min cetane is 40 but fuels test out around 45-47.

Depends on your local market. Typically "premium" diesel will at least have a higher cetane rating compared to standard diesel.

Premium diesel unfortunately isn't a thing in the US unlike say Europe/UK. In the US min cetane is 40 but fuels test out around 45-47.

Thank you, I live in the Netherlands. Could you recommend it?

EU minimum is around 51. I don't know if it's worth it. Some additives can increase the lubricity of diesel fuel which will reduce wear on the HPFP. In the US most diesel owners were always concerned about lubricity because US fuel didn't have to meet the same wear limits as Euro diesel. I was concerned with cetane and lubricity but as I said US diesel didn't meet the same specs as Euro diesel.

My 335d recommended cetane of 50-51.

I don't think there is a benefit to premium diesel. I have tried it previously in my 2012 Ram with no difference. My truck has received a steady diet of regular diesel for the last several years. Generally the only other thing that goes in the tank is an anti-gel in winter. IMO, you are wasting money putting anything else in your diesel tank.

Just my $0.02

Back