Costco Clean Power Gasoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have noticed a trend over the last few days. Seems if the gasoline companies have jumped on the detergent bandwagon over the past few weeks. First with Citgo and it's tri-clean and then BP joining top tier. Just ran across this today. Costco has begun to add increased detergent to its gasoline.

Costco Clean Power Gasoline

Costco gas with Kirkland Signature Clean Power detergent additives contains five times the EPA detergent requirement. Clean Power doesn't just keep your engine clean - it also helps remove any existing deposits. Costco Gasoline - Something good just got better!

I hope this is a trend for all the gasoline companies; for what gasoline costs a good (better) dose of detergents would be nice.

Costco has been doing this for about 18 months in most locations except California. California should either be on line by now or in process. Check the other threads for information.

Many Costco stations have been using this for some time now. I work at Costco,and I can tell you that the additive is supplied by Lurbizol, and at are station we have a separate tank in the ground which contains the additive. When the fuel trucks come with a delivery, the amount of fuel being filled is punched into the computer which calculates how much additive to inject. Then additive is injected from its underground tank into the fuel tanks. The fuel truck then fills the tank with fuel to mix the additive while filling the underground tank. The ratio is aprox 4.97 Gallons of Clean Power Additive to 13,000 of fuel. The additive is very sticky. It isn't thick like syrup, however it is thicker than say some bottled additive from the store. It is very concentrated. Not sure how this stuff compares to Shell Nitrogen Additive, Marathon STP additive, etc, but I've pretty much only have been using Costco fuel because are prices are much less than stations in the area.

Older Costco stations require the gas station attendant to manually add the Clean Power to the fuel tanks at the time of delivery.

Since all gasoline regardless of brand is additive-free until added by the distributor (to the delivery truck) or the vendor (e.g. the Costco in situ system), unbranded stations are free to search the market for the least cost-fuel without consideration of refinery source.

My local Costco station is only a few months old and dispenses fuel equal to top tier. I like their on-site additive system and prices of $0.13/gallon less than my local Chevron/Texaco/Shell stations.

I suspect much of the price difference is due to the tremendous advertising expense borne by the branded fuel companies.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Johnny248
Many Costco stations have been using this for some time now. I work at Costco,and I can tell you that the additive is supplied by Lurbizol, and at are station we have a separate tank in the ground which contains the additive. When the fuel trucks come with a delivery, the amount of fuel being filled is punched into the computer which calculates how much additive to inject. Then additive is injected from its underground tank into the fuel tanks. The fuel truck then fills the tank with fuel to mix the additive while filling the underground tank. The ratio is aprox 4.97 Gallons of Clean Power Additive to 13,000 of fuel. The additive is very sticky. It isn't thick like syrup, however it is thicker than say some bottled additive from the store. It is very concentrated. Not sure how this stuff compares to Shell Nitrogen Additive, Marathon STP additive, etc, but I've pretty much only have been using Costco fuel because are prices are much less than stations in the area.

Older Costco stations require the gas station attendant to manually add the Clean Power to the fuel tanks at the time of delivery.

Thanks for the inside scoop. Someone posted on here a while back a PowerPoint presentatiom about the additive system before it was rolled out so it is good to know that's how it happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back