Cost to Upgrade Electrical Service from 100A to 200A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Cressida
Originally Posted by Donald

They legs of 220V can be called a few things, but never phases. A home is always single phase. Only big factories are 3 phase.

I guess different parts of the country do things differently. My 1900 sq. ft. home built in the 1950's has always had 3 phase service. My main panel is the typical single phase but there is
a separate panel in the attached garage that has 3 phase going into it. I think it's fused for 60 amps. The only thing that panel has ever serviced is the outside A/C unit which has a 3 phase
compressor. I replaced the HVAC system in 2014 and could have gone with a single phase A/C at that time but since I have 3 phase service I stayed with it - why not ?

That's not overly common but isn't unheard of for houses in the 40-60s for the reason you mentioned- the AC compressor. Once the single phase motors started getting better and more efficient that more or less went away. Even around here large houses with 600-800amp services are always single phase, but that might be utility (Peco/Exelon) driven as well.

Originally Posted by CharlieBauer
Originally Posted by Donald
Originally Posted by CharlieBauer
While you're at it, you might want to consider your options for backup power.

The power shutoffs might very well become the norm.

Yes and No.

With more things going electric like heat pumps the idea of backup power becomes expensive. A 25kw or 30kw is what I would need and they are expensive and use a lot of fuel. A 5kw gas generator from Home Depot will not cut it.

5kw in CA would be fine for 2500 sq ft. Heat is primarily gas furnaces. You'll need 1kw to 2kw for the fan.

He also has solar panels so there are some options there too and he might even be getting an electric vehicle .........

I think Berkeley just passed a bill that mandates all new homes to be build without natural gas (as expected being the most progressive city in the US), that means heat pump everything and induction cook top.

Consider that this is likely going to mean 20-30 years down the road everything will go in that direction (i.e. hybrid, banning plastic bags, banning wood fire place, tearing down freeways, etc), eventually we will all need those big amp going around the house. We probably don't need it now but if I were to do it now I'd go as big as possible to be done with it once and for all, as labor is the most expensive part and not the parts in the Bay Area.

Critics should just hold off until he has an EV and 110V is not charging his EV fast enough. He might find charging at work for free being cheaper or more convenient, or he might find him driving less than he though he would, or he might not even buy an EV.

So garage toys can use a lot of power. My air compressor needs 30 amps @ 220V. The Lincoln Invertec welder needs 70 amps @ 220V. Delta table saw is 20 amp @ 220V. And other needing 15 amps @ 110V.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back