Cost to put a JVC head unit in 98 Grand Cherokee?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. Will be taking the Jeep to BEST BUY (most likely) for a proper replacement of the factory radio, for a unit that can control the iPhone. We like a JVC unit with extremely good reviews. Now, I remember that the car install tech must remove/change:

1. Interior trim
2. Mounting brackets
3. Antenna adapter
4. Wiring harnesses
5. Power adapters
6. Faceplates/Spacers
7. We want a single DIN JVC, pretty sure. It controls the iPhone. Not sure of any attractive Double DIN movels, will probably be the JVC.

Now, from what I remember, Best Buy is the best place to get the car install done. Is everyone in agreement with this?

JVC is awesome for very little $$$, so is Kenwood.

I like Crutchfield cause they sell the head unit with all the necessary dash kit and wiring harness. Install is a snap and its so easy to do if you follow the step by step install instructions.

Lots of shops will kill you on install labor, harness and dask kit.

Heck if you lived in my area I would do it on my day off under 2 hours.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
JVC is awesome for very little $$$, so is Kenwood.

I like Crutchfield cause they sell the head unit with all the necessary dash kit and wiring harness. Install is a snap and its so easy to do if you follow the step by step install instructions.

I hate Kenwood. Generous on WATT ratings much?
wink.gif

Reading as to Installs now.

There is a shop online called Sonic Electronics, they sell a ton of car units on ebay.

I've bought several from them, they include all installation kits and harnesses with every purchase, and their prices can't be beat.

Its literally a 45 minute job for anybody to install one of these.

I like to take my time and solder all the wires, but some people just use wirenuts to put the connections together, that works also.

If you get the aftermarket harness that will plug into the vehicle's wiring, you can solder/heat shrink everything at the bench and plug it right in, makes it easier.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
There is a shop online called Sonic Electronics, they sell a ton of car units on ebay.

I've bought several from them, they include all installation kits and harnesses with every purchase, and their prices can't be beat.

Its literally a 45 minute job for anybody to install one of these.

I like to take my time and solder all the wires, but some people just use wirenuts to put the connections together, that works also.

Soldering all the wires is the best advice. Do it once and never had any problem in the future. Just be very careful double/triple check all the wires to make sure that you don't solder the wrong wires.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back