Cost per mile of an EV?

Has anything done or found out the cost for mile of an EV? Say a plain Jane Tesla at $.12 a kilowatt with moderate driving.

If my math is correct, a 17 mpg vehicle is around $.18 a mile whereas a 40 mpg vehicle is around $.08 a mile assuming $3.00 a gallon.

My prius prime came in at 5 miles/ kWH or 2.8c/ mi at 14 cents/ kWH.
5 miles per kWhr? Seems high, but maybe a Prius does better than a Tesla, quick look showed 2.5 to 3 miles per kWhr. Not that I don’t doubt you, it’s truly a YMMV thing.

wife reports the readout in her Camry is mid 60’s. Makes me jealous. Our electricity is something like 17c/kWhr. We’d have to get 3.4 miles per kWhr to beat that. If we could hit 5 miles per kWhr and still have something in the 50’s for mpg then that could The new dual fuel setup—burn whatever is cheaper per mile.

Here is what I get on my twice weekly long trip all summer.
Car uses 12kwhr off the wall to charge

Math is easy if you substitute in your local costs

So it really depends on the car and how you drive

an Aptera for example gets 100 watt hour per mile which changes the math a little

D131E287-C609-4C94-A60C-2DC215FE0447.jpeg

Since an EV uses no gasoline do they get any sort of road tax? If not the advantage is unfair comparing to an ICE vehicle paying a federal and state road tax.

Since an EV uses no gasoline do they get any sort of road tax? If not the advantage is unfair comparing to an ICE vehicle paying a federal and state road tax.

Expect that snot true in lots places - EV now pay an upfront tax equivalent to 110-15K of driving at registration time.

Has anything done or found out the cost for mile of an EV? Say a plain Jane Tesla at $.12 a kilowatt with moderate driving.

If my math is correct, a 17 mpg vehicle is around $.18 a mile whereas a 40 mpg vehicle is around $.08 a mile assuming $3.00 a gallon.
Since you can charge an EV multiple ways, this is a classic "it depends" question.
If you are dependent on Superchargers, such as people who live in apartments and park on the street, your fuel costs are high.
But if you live in sunny CA, charge at home and have solar panels (like me) your fuel costs can approach zero. I pay about 32 cents a day to use the PGE grid.
Now, if you charge at home without solar at peak times you are gonna get a crazy electric bill as energy costs in CA are some of the highest in the nation. Even people with solar are getting dinged if they under built their solar project.

Teslas have no regular services except cabin air filter and brake component clean and lube (inclement weather areas).
I wish I could answer your question better. I know I am an extreme low cost case as far as charging goes.

I did the "Canadian math" in another thread here using claimed EV range and the price of gasoline here, which is per litre.

If we use the Audi e-tron, actual real world range is about 330km with a 95kWh battery, however you can't use all 95kWh, so that's really like 330km with 92kWh.

This breaks down thusly:
3.59km/kWh
27.88kWh/100Km

So, let's say you drove 800km/month, you'd be using 223kWh.
In a gas vehicle that got 40mpg, that's 5.88L/100km, so you'd be using 47L

The price for regular here in Ontario is currently $1.32/L, so it would cost you $62.09 for gasoline
The price for electricity here in Ontario, all-in flat rate including delivery is ~$0.198/kWh, so it would cost you $44.15 for electricity

So the EV saves you $18/month over a 40mpg car here in Ontario in the above scenario.

Over something that gets far worse gas mileage, like either of my two vehicles, the savings are MUCH higher, and that's using a very inefficient luxury EV for the comparison.

Expect that snot true in lots places - EV now pay an upfront tax equivalent to 110-15K of driving at registration time.
And most people paying that tax claim it is outrageously high. And govt. being as out of touch with reality as they are, it likely is.

To the OP, if you are referring to cost of ownership (total) VS ICE cars, EV's are much lower. Maybe even as low as 1/3 the cost of ICE ownership if all scheduled maintenance is included. Even normal wear items like brakes and belts either last forever or aren't even used in an EV. Timing belts? Nah, ain't got one. Valve adjustments? forgetaboutit.

Half of states rip off EV owners with far higher road taxes than one pays with a normal gas economy car

1) 12c per KWH is not what you pay!
2) The total bill can easily be double the KWH rate depending on consumption
3) Many utilities have rate caps of 750 or 1000 kwh per month. Over which, rates can double!
4) The KWH per mile dash display DOES NOT reflect the power purchased. (there are a stack of losses)

100kwh x .12 = $12.00
Actual bill, $36

Add in some of the following as applicable:

Transmission charge
Distributor service charge
Electric system improvements charge
Distributor service charge per KWH
Revenue adjustment mechanism
CTA charge per KWH
FMCC delivery charge
Combined public benefit charge
Storm charge
Gross reciepts tax
Franchise charge
Utility tax
Fuel charge

On a recent electric bill at my Milford, PA house, the total bill was 2.2 times the KWH rate.
My Jupiter, FL house was 1.76 times the KWH rate.

Last edited:
FWIW, my 14 cents per kWH rate is based on the difference between two months usage and billing, so it's the "extra" electricity that goes into my car. It's about the most fair unit of measure, as most people with houses and power bills wonder how much extra it'll be for an electric car.

People in my state grumble about our electricity being the most expensive, or the tenth most expensive in the nation, but from what I read here, that's hardly so.

If it ever comes time to tax a Prius Prime, that is going to be interesting to do fairly. If they go off an odometer reading, I'd be double taxed on my gas driven miles. If they go off an estimated annual mileage, there's then an incentive to share the car with everyone in my family and drive it "extra" on the "free" miles beyond the estimate.

The car isn't even able to report time spent on the gas engine, something I want to know so I can change the oil on time.

1) 12c per KWH is not what you pay!
2) The total bill can easily be double the KWH rate depending on consumption
3) Many utilities have rate caps of 750 or 1000 kwh per month. Over which, rates can double!
4) The KWH per mile dash display DOES NOT reflect the power purchased. (there are a stack of losses)

100kwh x .12 = $12.00
Actual bill, $36

Add in some of the following as applicable:

Transmission charge
Distributor service charge
Electric system improvements charge
Distributor service charge per KWH
Revenue adjustment mechanism
CTA charge per KWH
FMCC delivery charge
Combined public benefit charge
Storm charge
Gross reciepts tax
Franchise charge
Utility tax
Fuel charge

On a recent electric bill at my Milford, PA house, the total bill was 2.2 times the KWH rate.

Yup, that's why I manually calculate the true per kWh rate for what I pay, based on the inclusion of those figures.

This is like the homeowner saying his water is free because he has a well.

Nothing is free.

Ahh two conversations I have all the time -

my electric rate is "X" - not its not, its the price of the bills total divide that by the kilowatt hours you used - thats the rate.

My water is "free" from my well - lol...check into reality hotel..

The pressure tank, filters, and pump have a finite life and the pump can be a very large start and run load using plenty of juice and requiring larger than normal sized backup systems, then add in a septic transfer pump and you need an even bigger setup.

This is like the homeowner saying his water is free because he has a well.

Nothing is free.
My electricity bill before the Tesla was 32 cents per day, which is the cost for using the PGE grid.
My electricity bill now 32 cents per day, which is the cost for using the PGE grid.

Do the math.
By the way, PGE electricity rates have gone up more than 30% the last 10 years...
CA rates are among the highest in the nation and PGE is among the highest in CA.
I think people pay 21 cents per kilowatt hour on the avarage. Top tier is 50 cents per kWH.

Oh yeah, I use the AC a whole lot more nowadays. Previously I turned on the AC for guests...

Last edited:

I use very little electricity, my bill is 95% fixed taxes and fees. Per kwhr is around $3/kwhr if I divide it out.

Our utility rapes you on the fixed charges but the per kwhr is always the same no matter how much you use and is moderately reasonable.

So for me the more electricity I use the less my per kwhr becomes and it drops fast with even a small increase in usage

My low energy use means it would be cheaper for me to be off grid but being a rental that is impossible

Last edited:
My electricity bill before the Tesla was 32 cents per day, which is the cost for using the PGE grid.
My electricity bill now 32 cents per day, which is the cost for using the PGE grid.

Do the math.

Again you left out one important piece, the cost of installing the solar system. That needs to be amortized over the life of the system.

Again you left out one important piece, the cost of installing the solar system. That needs to be amortized over the life of the system.
No, that's not true. The solar system cost did not change because of the Tesla and neither did my incremental cost.
In finance, the cost of the solar system is known as a sunk cost; it does not fit in the equation.
I am simply getting more benefit out of the asset.

But let me play along...
I bought the solar system before the Tesla; I thought one day I might buy an EV but certainly not in any relevant range.
However, the Tesla gets me to break even point sooner.
Not only that, but the solar project increased the value of my home.

I am pretty good at math. I am pretty good at statistics. I am pretty good at statistical forecasting. And not bad at corporate finance...
I also have to present plans like this, with cost numbers and expected returns, to CEOs and CFOs of multi billion dollar Silicon Valley companies.
They can come up with some pretty humbling questions, lemme tell ya.

Question for you: Do you think PGE electricity rates just might go up over the next 20 years?
Every financial decision I make is based on a minimum of 5 years. 15 or 20 is better.
The solar project was an investment with an expected return as well as a hedge against rising energy costs.
My goal was to minimize my incremental cost of housing going forward with the goal of longtime financial security while minimizing risk.

@UncleDave - I am not sure I follow your post. Please chime in on my calculations if you wish...

Last edited:
Back