Cost efficient black printer

With so much working from home, I have found my current printer is just not up to the task - it even refuses to print a BW document if one of the colors is low. I only print in B&W, what is a cost efficient printer for this type of use? I literally filled the color cartridges which have never been used with water to keep printing B&W (I have no idea where the ink went).

A laser printer is the lowest per page cost to print. And it does not dry out like ink cartridges.

I have a Zerox Phaser color printer and its awesome. But not the cheapest products.

Reactions: JC1
Brother B&W Laser Printer

Last I checked (and on mine), they don't microchip their cartridges, just a reset gear so in many cases once you get that $3 gear, you can get 2-3X life out of each cartridge by refilling with ~$10 bulk toner, before the drum wears out or it starts leaking. Some of them have a plug you pull to refill, might need to cut or melt off a couple plastic studs then use screws to reattach a side panel. Some might need a hole melted in and a plug included with the toner is used to plug the hole. I can't recall at the moment which printers have which requirement but none are difficult.

Once that happens, I get a new OEM cartridge for their higher quality drum (aftermarket new use inferior drums that have short lifespans and typically print lighter), again refilling it 2-3X. I've tried remanufactured carts in the past and they were hit or miss quality wise, often printed lighter and a high % of them reused drums with significant bad (worn away) spots on them. At least there's consolation in that if you get a terrible reman cart, you might be able to get a full refund without returning it to the seller, then you can dump the toner into your OEM empty cart, if it isn't worn out or leaking yet.

The up front cost is higher but the cost per page is very low, toner never drying out, and mine is an AIO with a fairly decent quality scanner, nice to be able to just press a button to make a copy of something, no computer needed, and can be used as a network scanner to push scans to systems on a LAN... I like my Brother quite a bit.

Whatever you do, do not get a Lexmark Color Laser. I (or really the non-profit who needed it) paid through the teeth for horrible time to first page and wasting hundreds of dollars worth of color toner, then it failed prematurely, TWICE, using proprietary microchipped circuit boards where the microchip had no functional purpose except to tag the part so Lexmark could wipe out the aftermarket parts supplies by making it necessarily to buy new parts from them at very high prices. It was just a SOIC8 PROM chip that you can desolder from the old PCB and transplant onto a new one, but still that is a horrible way to treat customers and way more hassle than tolerable to merely keep a printer running, plus they also microchip their carts.

Last edited:
I got a cheap black and white laser printer for the same reason. The printing is much cleaner aswell with the same paper as before. And it prints multiple pages much quicker.

I have a hp model, was only about 60 euro, so less than a colour and black inkjet cartridge

Reactions: JTK
Absolutely LOVE my Canon ImageClass MF232w b&w lazer printer. I bought it through walmart online over a year ago for around $80. I hate that I suffered with ink jets for over 25yrs.

At work, I use a Canon LBP6030. It is almost an exact replica of an HP unit that we have used here for years. Thing is a workhorse.

Edit: Wireless connectivity on these is not the best, or at least I have not had good luck. I run it off a USB cable without issue.

^ I used to do that, then decided that paper is cheaper than time and parts (if I can even get them on an aged printer) to repair that mechanism if it breaks, so now only use it for special situations. Plus I have some concerns about whether any toner is coming off from the first past, when the paper is heated again on the second pass, possibly depositing inside the printer as a layer of plastic gunk. I know it can't be much coming off since the print still looks good, but I'd like to avoid having to tear it apart for any reason.

I've always had great luck with the cheapest HP printer, laser or otherwise. My current HP laser is 6 years old & 80,000 pages later its still chugging along fine. I would go that route.

Hard to beat a laser printer in both print speed and cost per page. My Brother color laser printer was purchased at the beginning of the plague. My boss told me to just go get whatever printer I needed for efficient work from home and charge it to the business, so I did!

If someone offered me a FREE Ink-Jet Printer, I'd throw it at them.

Laser Printer (black only) is best for home use / I like the Brother printers.
When I need Toner or a Drum, I buy the knock-offs on E-Bay / saves alot of money.

If I need 'color' photos printed, I send them to Walgreens and go pick them up.

Hard to beat a laser printer in both print speed and cost per page. My Brother color laser printer was purchased at the beginning of the plague. My boss told me to just go get whatever printer I needed for efficient work from home and charge it to the business, so I did!

My boss told me to buy whatever you needed for a home office and pay for it myself. I bought a $200 office chair.

Just for reference, I figure we've run through somewhere between 500-1000 sheets of paper in our inexpensive Canon imageclass w/ factory toner and no sign of toner being low yet.

*EDIT* Just figured out how to check. 899 pages. Cartridge level 40%.

Last edited:
Being the odd ball in this thread I bought a Epson 4750 Eco-Tank printer for work, and have been floored on how cheap it is to run.
It comes with two years worth of Ink to start. To refill it Amazon sells off brand black 127 ml bottles for $7.95, $15.95 for Epson Ink. According to Epson one bottle should be good for 10,000 plus pages. BTW it was $349 for it at Best Buy. It paid for itself within the first year over my old HP that used cartridges. I would have gone through over $400 in ink in the first year if I still had the HP.

i only print for personal use + by cheap off shore ink cartridges + never looked into a lazer printer, BUT i will next time. seems whenever i get a different laptop only newer printers work with them.

Back