Correct oil for a Diesel car? Your advice, please..

Hello,

Its been a long time since I posted. many thanks in advance!

My owners manual calls for an ACEA B3/B4 / API CF , anything between 5W40 and 15W50. (15W40/50 are fine for this climate)

Its a Renault TDi thats done 330K kms or approx 200K miles.

I have an available FREE oil (spec below), can i use it?

15W40 THPD (FOR ENGINES USING DIESEL WITH SULPHUR UP TO 0.5%)

API CH4
ACEA E7
MB 228.3
MACK EO-M PLUS
MAN 3275-1
VOLVO VDC-3
MTU TYPE 2 RVI RD-2/RLD-2
DETROIT DIESEL 93K215
CUMMINS CES20071/72
CAT ECF-1-a
ZF TE-ML 04C/07D

Pretty much any of them but these are older specs since ch4 and vdc 3 immediately stand out as old. Any ck rated diesel oil with the vds 4.5 and ford wss spec will be more than fine. Rotella t4, castrol gtx, and supertech diesel come to mind. But i doubt delvac or delo wouldnt be better overall compared to the old stuff it was made for. Also did you import an old renault or something.

thanks for your reply..My apologies, im not in the US anymore. Made changes to my profile accordingly.

can the oil spec i quoted be used in the renault tdi?

thanks for your reply..My apologies, im not in the US anymore. Made changes to my profile accordingly.

can the oil spec i quoted be used in the renault tdi?
Yes if you find bottles with those older specs it couldnt hurt. But that old engine wouldn't be hurt by newer diesel oils either.

Well that free oil you have don`t exactly comply with the specs for your engine. However i must say that i have used HDEO in my cars for the last 4 years, they were all gasoline cars from different brands and model years, all with good results. In your case i would do the same, since your car is an diesel and if the viscosity of the oil match your climate

Hello,

Its been a long time since I posted. many thanks in advance!

My owners manual calls for an ACEA B3/B4 / API CF , anything between 5W40 and 15W50. (15W40/50 are fine for this climate)

Its a Renault TDi thats done 330K kms or approx 200K miles.

I have an available FREE oil (spec below), can i use it?

15W40 THPD (FOR ENGINES USING DIESEL WITH SULPHUR UP TO 0.5%)

API CH4
ACEA E7
MB 228.3
MACK EO-M PLUS
MAN 3275-1
VOLVO VDC-3
MTU TYPE 2 RVI RD-2/RLD-2
DETROIT DIESEL 93K215
CUMMINS CES20071/72
CAT ECF-1-a
ZF TE-ML 04C/07D
Diesel oil that meets ACEA B3/B4 and API CF have long been outdated, since the early 2000's.

You'll be fine using API CH4/ACEA E7. Had no issues using HDEO on my old Golf TDI, that specified ACEA A3/B4, or API CF-4/CG-4 or VW505.00 specs

Diesel oil that meets ACEA B3/B4 and API CF have long been outdated, since the early 2000's.

You'll be fine using API CH4/ACEA E7. Had no issues using HDEO on my old Golf TDI, that specified ACEA A3/B4, or API CF-4/CG-4 or VW505.00 specs

B3 has now been superseded (this year I believe?) but B4 is still a common, well-used and current specification in place by ACEA.

Reactions: FCD

Yup, my Coworker who owns a 1997 Seat Toledo with the 1.9 TDi AFN engine ( Pre Pumpe-Düse ) also runs an E7 15W-40 HDEO with absolutely no issues, it's an old school Diesel without a DPF.

Back