ACEA E7 for a Mitsubishi Pajero 4D56?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

A new member here writing in from Portugal, glad to be a part of the tribe!

A question, if I may about my newly bought 1999 Pajero Sport Wagon with the 4D56 2.5TDI engine. 255000KM so far on it. Doesn't appear to be using much oil, think its been looked after. I think that both the turbo and diesel pump have been tweeked for more oomph.

Prob stick to the recommended 7500KM OCI. Very hilly, rural and off-road driving will be done as part of daily life here.

A new friend is offering his bulk oil at sub 2.00 Euro/Liter!

Please advice if its good for my Pajero, thanks!

heres some info:

52210 CEPSA Diesel turbo 15W40

API CH4
ACEA E7
MB 228.3
Mack EO-M Plus
MAN 3275-1
Volvo VDS-3
MTU Type 2 RVI RD-2/RLD-2
Detroit Diesel 93K215
Cummins CES 20071/72
CAT ECF-1-a
ZF TE-ML 04C/07D

from the label:
A Top High Performance Diesel (THPD) engine oil suitable for Euro V and earlier heavy duty engines using diesel fuels with a sulphur content of up to 0.5%. Exceeds SHPD cleaning & protection levels

I have really struggled to find info about this oil online. I THINK this link is for this oil but its mentioning also, their SHPD oil of a similar name.
https://www.cepsa.com/stfls/CepsaCom/Lubricantes/Ficheros_lubricantes/ficheros/pdf/iCEPSA%20DIESEL%20TURBO%20SHPD%2015W40%20Rev%203%20(4).pdf

Am I right in saying that most 15W40 oils here will be mineral?.....I think that this one is a semi-synth? I was concerned that It might be a bit thick, other locals are recommending 10W40 to "lube the turbo" but from the above link, the cst numbers are not much higher than some 10W40s.

My response may be delayed due to having no reception or internet at home.

Many thanks!

4D56

Why not
smile.gif
You are using 21st century oil in a 20th century car anyways...

If you want synthetic 10w40 look at my signature below what I am using in my Toyota...

4D56, for L I'd go for it !

If you are lucky to find any deals on ACEA E7 ..ACEA E9/E7 from this list:

https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/228.3_en.html

..won't go wrong. (majority of them with TBN>10mgKOH/g and Mid-SAPS)

Yep most of them are mineral (Gr.I and II) with some Gr.III for the semi-synth. I guess the Owner's manual suggests something like API CF or CG-4. Anyway, most of the Euro owners use ACEA A3/B4 passenger-car oils .

Shell Rimula has some interesting offerings like http://www.luboil.pt/documentos/file/Shell Rimula R5 E.pdf

I would be uncomfortable to use an oil with such high levels of Sulphated Ash like Shell Rimula R6M 10w40 in a small diesel without the manufacturers' approval to do so.Them 1.9% seem kinda high...
http://equipmanager.westrac.com.au/...033201_Shell%20Rimula%20R6M%2010W-40.pdf

I'd look around for deals on CAT DEO Synth 5w-40 (Mobil Delvac 1 5w-40 ) or Volvo and Volvo Penta branded VDS-3 oils (guess they're still made by Exxon-Mobil.At some point they were Mobil Delvac MX ..or ESSO XT- before the latter brand got discontinued).

Originally Posted by Rollins

I would be uncomfortable to use an oil with such high levels of Sulphated Ash like Shell Rimula R6M 10w40 in a small diesel without the manufacturers' approval to do so.Them 1.9% seem kinda high...
http://equipmanager.westrac.com.au/...033201_Shell%20Rimula%20R6M%2010W-40.pdf

Why? I think that my KZ-TE is EURO3 engine....no DPF...no cat whatsoever...

We are talking about cars wich are 20yrs old (in technological terms)....thats like technology out of golf mk.2...
smile.gif

That would be the sohc 4D56...that year Pajero would have a 4M40 here. Mitsubishi themselves couldn't care less what you use, anything CD or better is ok by them. I worked at a Mitsi dealer for some years, we usually ran them on a Fuchs 15W-40 HDEO. Mitsubishi New Zealand supply their own oil, a 5W-30 that is rebranded Castrol Edge A3/B4, and there is certainly nothing wrong with that ! Last year I was putting in Akcela no1, a E7 15W-40 branded Case, and that was doing a good job too.

Originally Posted by Onetor
What does the Owner's Manual state?

I dont have the owners manual, local sources here say an A3/B3. At 0/5/10/15W40.

I was more concerned about the proposed oil being wrong for the application somehow.

Some are saying to stick with a 10W40 to keep it thin enough to effectively lube the turbo

Originally Posted by Kamele0N

Why? I think that my KZ-TE is EURO3 engine....no DPF...no cat whatsoever...

We are talking about cars wich are 20yrs old (in technological terms)....thats like technology out of golf mk.2...
smile.gif

The main concern here was not the aftertreatment devices ... I was looking at ACEA 2002 oil sequences

http://www.utc.fr/~tthomass/Themes/Unites/unites/infos/huile/Publication_Oil_Sequences.pdf

...while the highest limit for ACEA E categories (E2-96 Issue 3 ; E3-96 Issue 3 ; E4-99 ; E5-02 back then) is B4 and A5/B5 oils . Actual oils with such a high content however are rarity on the market...most of the hover around 1-1.3wt.%...
Here and there you'll see the claim that elevated content of SA in diesel oils (may) lead to hi-temp piston deposits and possible liner wear (in diesel engines not designed to tolerate too high a SA %). Gas engines demand a specific %(varies with manufacturers)...Now there must be a good reason some engine builders specify a certain limit or "a frame" like " >0.8 So to be "on the safe side" I'd just pass on oils with too high a SA in a light diesel. It may be totally fine...it may not..we don't know. I really do not see their advantage over a moderate SAPS ACEA E5/E7/E9 oil (like the CEPSA Diesel turbo 15W40) in this particular application.

Advantage in my case is lower oil consumption...or lack of it (for now...)

Previously ex owner put in PCMO Aral 10w40...at least that was on a recipt in the engine bay...I dont know what was he doing with that car...but in 6months after the purchase I poured in 3 additional liters of whatever oil I had just to maintain MAX level on a dipstick...

Now I went with HDEO and oil level is still on MAX after 3000kms
smile.gif

Originally Posted by 4D56
I was more concerned about the proposed oil being wrong for the application somehow.

Some are saying to stick with a 10W40 to keep it thin enough to effectively lube the turbo

E7, E9 will be perfectly acceptable, and 15w-40 will be perfectly acceptable in your climate.

Hi,
Thank you for the responses, especially the ones that stayed on topic! These are the kinda things I was looking for, and give me much more confidence in using this oil.
Is there anything that tells me whether it's a semi syn or conventional/mineral oil? I kinda thought that the viscosity numbers being not much higher than a 10W40 might point to it being semi syn?
As an oil, is it anything special?

Many thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back