Corolla Coolant Drain - Where's the plug?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The page I printed from the corolla service manual says it has one... of course the service manual is for an '04. I have an '03 but it should be the same.

I'm considering pulling the hose but its not in a great spot at all. I'll either try that or just give an extra distilled water flush using only the radiator drain.

I have a '98 Corolla and the block drain looked like a PITA to get at so I went with a simple drain & fill as the rad looked pristine inside.
I took the upper rad hose off at the radiator and moved it over so it drained into a pan. Ran the engine and let the old stuff drain out as I refilled into the rad cap hole with distilled water. Shut her off when the fluid ran clear out of the rad hose and reinstalled the hose. Then I drained the rad and added fresh coolant.
I couldn't get quite enough fresh coolant in for a 50/50 mix so I ran it for a couple of days and drained out another liter from the rad draincock and added a liter of concentrate coolant ( I kept the liter that I drained out as a "mix" that I can add later as a top-up in the reservoir). Bingo..new coolant at the right ratio.
Hope this helps.
P.B.

I ended up just doing the drain and dilute method. (Drained what I could from the radiator drain, refill with distilled.) I did that three times until the drained coolant barely had any color left. Then I filled with 3.5 qts of coolant to make a 50/50 ratio with the diluted water according to the published capacity. Time consuming, but easier than fighting with some hard to access hose connections. Next time, I might go with the Super Long Life coolant so I won't have to do it again for a long time.

I have a picture from the service manual that clearly shows the locations of the radiator drain and the engine drain.

But I can't find the engine drain anyplace in the area where it is supposed to be! Anybody got a clue for me?

This is a current generation ('03).

Just in case there are any frustrated DIY-ers out there who do random Google searches to find their engine block coolant drain plug...

I FINALLY found the plug after about 45 minutes of searching on my US-model 1.8 L 2000 Toyota Corolla on the rear of the engine block, most easily accessed from the driver's side of the vehicle. Pics are uploaded for reference. There's really no way to describe it. Also, you really, really need a flashlight to see it, even in broad daylight.

My Haynes Workshop Manual has a perfect picture of it (Section 1.18, picture 23.4) but the Haynes Repair Manual (the cheaper one) was useless.

Hope this helps!

34y6uxe.jpg

doqnug.jpg

2lk2q6w.jpg

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
some cars don't even have them - you take off a hose.

+1 Most do have them but for those who don't I recommend taking off the lower rad hose. Quicker and I feel releases more stuff that might get trapped in the little pepcock.

I replaced the factory radiator on my '96 Jeep with a brand name replacement. The factory had a side drain petcock. The replacement one did not. Looks like it all worked out for you, but sometimes replacement parts are different than what the book would show. It kind of throws a wrench into the procedure for the next guy working on your vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back