cordless tool batteries

can tool batteries be interchanged from one brand to another ? i know most likely can't be interchanged but i was thinking maybe with a little battery case modification could it be done ? I'm at wits end to find a battery that will work with my lynxx pole saw from harbor freight... looks as if HF doesn't have the batteries for the lynxx line of tools. Kind of sad they sell a brand for several years then down the road if you need a battery or charger , i guess your out of luck... i guess if i cant find a solution then the saw may end up in the trash...lesson learned the hard way on my part..., i know if i have to buy another saw it wont be from harbor freight cant take the chance on no support of a product down the road

They can be interchanged provided the voltage is the same, the connection is the same, polarity is the same and it can physically mount on the tool. To get that kind of luck between brands would be unusual.

Some HF stores still have the 40v Lynxx batteries. Just check the listing and then select nearby stores. You may have to drive further but it's probably not the end of the world.

Just checked the HF website and looks like lynxx is discontinued.

They have adapters for the major brands. I have adapters for using DeWalt 20v batteries on Ryobi and Milwaukee. Makes it handy when you need a tool and don't want to spend the extra coin. For example, Ryobi cordless Brad Nailer was $80 Canadian a few years ago on black Friday. Dewalt 20v nailers are more than $300.

I don't think they have adapters for HF batteries. Some guys figured out ways to modify the HF 20v batteries to work on DeWalt.

The other option is to buy the internals and repair the battery yourself if you are handy.

Last edited:
I have a HF cordless circular saw used once to cut a board. It’s been out in a shed as a paper weight for I guess ten years. Battery became unusable very fast, don’t remember even but like a year. Maybe it shouldn’t be left a year but I do it to others and they work.

I have Black and Decker 20V batteries for my weedwhacker and blower. The ones I have are two sizes; two have five 18650 batteries inside and the third has ten cells in it. The larger one won't fit on the blower, but fits the trimmer. When I looked into replacing just the cells I found it cheaper to buy generic replacement packs on eBay. I've had as much success with them as with the branded versions. The lifespan of my batteries increased noticeably when I started keeping them inside the house instead of in the garage. It gets very hot in garages around here in the summer.

thanks guys for the replies. Guess i'll check a few more somewhat local HF stores or possibly find a place that could rebuild the battery

I find it's best to settle on a cordless battery brand and then buy a lot of bare tools. I am trying some aftermarket Milwaukee batteries.

If you still have tools with NiCad or NiMH it's time to move on.

You should basically pick one of the major cordless systems out there that will be around a while. Even Ryobi which is more of a Home Depot brand hasn't really changed their batteries in decades. I think I had a set of NiCad batteries for a cordless drill back in 2004 and the battery design is still the same. They've moved on to Lithium ion, but their lithium ion battery will still fit one of those old drills and still work, different charger though. Milwaukee and a few other brands are like that too. Cost per battery, Ryobi is probably cheapest on a per amp hour basis although Ridgid will sell you a kit and have a lifetime warranty on the battery.

i moved away from B+D's poor nicads to Bosch lithiums + tools, BUT recently bought a great Makita chain saw + have their leaf-snow blower coming that can use same great batteries, a real plus IMO as Makita covers all the bases! in the late 70's makita screw guns my company i worked for were JUNK throw aways but prolly a LOT better today as competition improves the breed!!

When I was a Maintenance Foreman I tried having some DeWalt batteries rebuilt to save some money . The guys brought them back saying they would not hold a charge . I probably should have done some more checking on my own as far as initial charge , battery charger output , etc. but the other two Foremen weren't behind the process so It wasn't going to work out regardless .

I find it's best to settle on a cordless battery brand and then buy a lot of bare tools. I am trying some aftermarket Milwaukee batteries.

If you still have tools with NiCad or NiMH it's time to move on.

Usually.

There are exceptions to this that come up - the makita 36V blower came with 4 -5 AH batts and a dual charger at a price that basically gave the blower away for no charge.

Always do the math and look.

Back