Cordless impact wrench

Hey all,

I've been window shopping for a impact gun, and Milwaukee's stubby 3/8 or 1/2 is on my list. I would mainly be using it to change tires (80-100 ft lbs).

Recently been working on some suspension work, front end work. I'd borrow my friends DeWalt and it made life so easier. So would like an impact wrench for future work.

A friend of mine said not to bother with Milwaukee, and suggested Ryobi, since I'm not a tradesman and would waste money if I don't use it often, this got me thinking.

It makes sense to get it as I do have other Milwaukee M12 (circular saw, drill driver) and M18(string trimmer, blower) tools. These tools I use often.

I have a Milwaukee stubby and the big 24v kobalt. Let me start by saying I have used the Milwaukee in a pinch for wheels but it struggles and is not a good fit for it. The bang for the buck to me is the big 24v kobalt. It is bulky and heavy but takes everything off I’ve ever had with ease. I think I paid $179 for it on sale around Black Friday. The stubby is for light work and glad I have both.

I have a Milwaukee stubby and the big 24v kobalt. Let me start by saying I have used the Milwaukee in a pinch for wheels but it struggles and is not a good fit for it. The bang for the buck to me is the big 24v kobalt. It is bulky and heavy but takes everything off I’ve ever had with ease. I think I paid $179 for it on sale around Black Friday. The stubby is for light work and glad I have both.
OP’s primary use is going to be lug nuts at 80-100 ft lbs. Not sure how tight your lug nuts are or which model of Milwaukee impact you have but my 3 year old M12 stubby can take off my tractor lug nuts that have been torqued to 140 ft lbs without any issue. I’m sure that the newer M18 stubby is even more capable.

I think if you're already in the M12/M18 system, may as well stay in it. Ryobi is great bang for buck, you won't lose whichever you decide. Even with a flimsy charger and a battery, the Ryobi mid torque kit on sale might still be cheaper than a Milwaukee Fuel. Then you'd likely get more Ryobi tools that you don't use often; and they make a power tool for almost anything. The 18V battery/base has great compatibility with legacy Ryobi tools, but bulkier than M18.

If you're planning to keep one impact wrench: it might be a good idea to get a mid-torque, around 500 lbs-ft 'nut busting breakaway torque'. If you're planning to keep two impact wrenches, my opinion is to buy a stubby and a high-torque.

Didn't project farm test these reciently?
I hope not. TTC (Torque Test Channel) has enough content you couldn't watch it all in several days.

For the OP, I will say the gun I own which impresses me the most is the 2nd Gen (I think it's 2nd) mid-torque. I believe it's the 2960 and 2962 for 1/2 and 3/8 -- or the other way around, whatever

The FIRST gen mid torques were SOOOO lackluster but the 2nd Gen is surprisingly powerful for it's size. It seemingly does almost everything my big 2767 would at a fraction of the size and weight.

Also, TTC had an interesting vid where the 3/8 version of the 2nd Gen mid-torque inexplicably lays down a bit more power than the 1/2 (I own the 1/2" and have no complaints)

Stubby in 3/8" is what I have and am very happy with it, can get me in tight spaces with 2A battery too and removes lugs on cars with no issues.
I bought it first for it's versatility and (good enough for my use) power and then added impact drill (Fuel) and a ratchet (non Fuel). I use 2A batts with heated hoodie as well.

Yep, and that's actually a great price at ~$172 (don't worry, the Amazon bot will try to raise the price now)

I feel like the 3/8" 2960 started going for consistently more $ after TTC proved it's actually more powerful than the 1/2". It's presently sitting around $200 and that seems pretty normal

Also I reco the rubber protective boots but get ready to assume the "service position" $$ as Audi says....

Hey all,

I've been window shopping for a impact gun, and Milwaukee's stubby 3/8 or 1/2 is on my list. I would mainly be using it to change tires (80-100 ft lbs).

Recently been working on some suspension work, front end work. I'd borrow my friends DeWalt and it made life so easier. So would like an impact wrench for future work.

A friend of mine said not to bother with Milwaukee, and suggested Ryobi, since I'm not a tradesman and would waste money if I don't use it often, this got me thinking.

It makes sense to get it as I do have other Milwaukee M12 (circular saw, drill driver) and M18(string trimmer, blower) tools. These tools I use often.
Get one of the Milwaukee M18 Fuel impact wrenches. Not to pricey for the "tool only" version. You cannot go wrong with Milwaukee.

As others mentioned, it just makes sense to go with Milwaukee

I bought the smaller Dewalt one and it would barely get lug nuts off at 80lbs. I returned it and got the 1/2” drive Dewalt and that thing rocks
I would like to get a good Dewalt impact. I have a small one for lighter jobs but would like a 1/2" drive one for the larger ones. I have several 20 volt Dewalt products so I have quite a few batteries and chargers.

I also highly recommend the 2962-20.

Like you, I also have M18 tools, so I try to stay with that system as much as possible. Less hassle with chargers and batteries. I started with a smaller M18 impact, that came as part of a set. It would take off the lug nuts on my cars just fine. But when I visited my son, I couldn't take all the lug nuts off his cars. Seems a local shop that services his cars must really hammer on the lug nuts. So I sold my first M18 and got the 2962-20 Fuel.

I can tell the difference, even on my cars. The earlier M18 pounded on the nuts for a half second or so before spinning them off. The 2962-20 Fuel starts spinning the nuts off as soon as I pull the trigger.

Back