Cord cutter

I can only get Cablevision optimum/Altice.. has something to do with the cables on the poles and township garbage.. I can get fios internet and if I were really hard up satellite TV which I looked into their crazy pricing scheme.
SO you have many options, Cablevision, Fios and Satellite plus the new Tmobile Internet. Living on Long Island or lower upstate you have more or just as many options as the rest of the country and that is quite a bit from years ago.

I tried 2 amplified antennas no luck getting channels.. I was able to pickup 1 PBS channel. I would just be happy getting metv and fox business
What 2 did you try? I have a Channel Master -- think it was close to 100 bucks. Was getting in the low 20s for stations and now I get around 50.

Reactions: JC1
For ESPN and CNN etc you can download Mobdro onto Roku.

You can not not actually install Mobdro onto a Roku. The procedure they outline has you install Mobdro onto an android mobile device (smartphone) and cast the screen using the Roku. Regardless, I have found that Mobdro is a less than reliable programming source and is not really a satisfactory substitute for cable, satellite, or a commercial pay streaming service.

Sports never were my thing.. I'm perfectly content streaming from plutotv and tubi... the wife's is starting to agree just leaving it alone.. its been working for nearly 3 years.

You can not not actually install Mobdro onto a Roku. The procedure they outline has you install Mobdro onto an android mobile device (smartphone) and cast the screen using the Roku. Regardless, I have found that Mobdro is a less than reliable programming source and is not really a satisfactory substitute for cable, satellite, or a commercial pay streaming service.
You can on a Fire Stick -- keep paying your cable bills and what do you have to show for it monthly??? LMAO --- I have no issues running Mobdro with my set up ---it ALL pertains to your download speed.

Sports never were my thing.. I'm perfectly content streaming from plutotv and tubi... the wife's is starting to agree just leaving it alone.. its been working for nearly 3 years.
Bud, its not that hard to get a Fire Stick and implement the options. Read up on it and use Filelinked.com like I said earlier. Tell the wifey, " its going to be ok!!!" ;)

Bud, its not that hard to get a Fire Stick and implement the options. Read up on it and use Filelinked.com like I said earlier. Tell the wifey, " its going to be ok!!!" ;)
We have 2 fire sticks and a roku tv.

Did this about 1.5 years ago.
Installed an 📡 in my attic.
All I have is internet.
I get all local channels and I stream from a few providers

I cut the Direct TV cord several years ago. I am grandfathered early adopter on AT&T Now. If they go up again I'm going to try Dish at $60 a month for everything. 2 years guaranteed. Can always go back to Sling. They are still on the reasonable side.

Every time I turned around, my Frontier rate climbed a few dollars. When it reached $210 a month for TV, internet, and a landline, I dropped the cable TV (about 2 years ago, now). Can't quite wrap my head around how they get away with adding sports fees to a cable bill. Don't those people make enough money? Why are we all subsidizing it? I don't watch them. 300 channels, and I used MAYBE 10 of them. I don't even miss it.
I mounted a good TV antenna at the highest point in my attic, and I get numerous channels. Added Netflix and I am perfectly happy. I believe it's now time ditch the landline, as the only purpose it serves is giving robocallers something to do.

Every time I turned around, my Frontier rate climbed a few dollars. When it reached $210 a month for TV, internet, and a landline, I dropped the cable TV (about 2 years ago, now). Can't quite wrap my head around how they get away with adding sports fees to a cable bill. Don't those people make enough money? Why are we all subsidizing it? I don't watch them. 300 channels, and I used MAYBE 10 of them. I don't even miss it.
I mounted a good TV antenna at the highest point in my attic, and I get numerous channels. Added Netflix and I am perfectly happy. I believe it's now time ditch the landline, as the only purpose it serves is giving robocallers something to do.
Well, we live in a free country and a free economy.
Nothing wrong with them charging what they do and at the same time, we are free to go elsewhere.
Bottom line, until recently, people have been paying whatever they want to charge, as a business, it only makes sense to make as much money as possible.
We cut the cord a decade ago, before it was the "in" thing. Saved thousands of dollars and we have sooo much programming we can not possibly watch it all, its stupid and out of control. Its sooooo cool to see other posts like yours now!

We still have a landline phone, we like to give that number out to places that we dont want to have our cell number, cell number for family and whatever, home number for services and we never answer it, leave a message *LOL*
Our landline phone only cost $5.35 a month for the last decade, unlimited calling and cheap international too.

As Americans we whine and cry about prices but we never say no to them, companies know this and have a right to charge whatever they want.
Its not just Pay TV, its everything, including automobiles! Only in the USA are vehicles loaded up full of options compared to the European Union. Because Americans will take out the HUGE loans to buy them.

Most new families have NO idea about the constant drain on their paychecks, instead of focusing on paying down debt, they ignore the costs of the credit and "auto payments" coming out of the checking accounts.

Yeah, I wish cable companies were required to have truth in advertisement, also these fees should be illegal because essentially they can offer you a two year contract and just raise the price when they feel like it even though they're fees for channels already included in your package, but good luck getting anyone in our government to actually care about consumer protections.

We cut the cord 16 years ago, when we got our first house. Our mortgage was a bit higher than our rent; worse, we had a little one on the way, along with my wife giving up her job. So it was an easy cost to cut. I put up a TV antenna but without a tower I got NHPTV and that was about it. After a couple years of watching TV I found I had no idea what was playing in the movie theaters--nor any desire to go to the theaters. [I had not been much of a TV fan before that.] Not watching commercials sure did change my habits.

Several years went by before Netflix had streaming material; we did do the DVD in the mail thing, watched a few movies that way. Much prefer for a movie to come out on streaming now, last time I went to a theater all I could notice was both how loud it was, and how distorted the screen was. Not worth the money!

We've got Netflix and Amazon Prime, and still can't find anything on. There's some good stuff out there, no doubt, but sometimes I regret giving up on TV. A bit of wasted time in the evening can be relaxing, plus sometimes I feel completely out of what is now the norm, for phrases and whatnot. I got over the hill real fast by cutting the cord.

We get charged $20/month extra for some sort of really basic TV package on top of Comcast/Xfinity Internet but fees elevate to $30/month.

The reality is between Disney+, Netflix, Amazon Prime all heavily watched, Spotify Family we pay a ton for shifting to streaming IMHO.

My family would revolt if I killed Netflix and Spotify the rest I think they'd live.

We're paying for cable $120.00 with ATT 100 channels, so no YT, Netflix or Amazon; I think if you add those and some other subscriptions that you want it will be nearly the same price; I like watching news, local, and education channels while my wife enjoys LTMs and the bundle keeps everything at one place, keeps our lives on track and simple, i'd say

Just 3 weeks ago I heard about a streaming service which provides several hundred channels. They include local and national. There are 56 channels which can be recorded and older shows less than 7 days replayed. The service for $39.99 does not include the recording or "lookback" but the $49.99 service does. Both packages also include Showtime, HBO, Encore, and numerous other movie channels.

I signed up and have been using the service since then. They allow a 2 day free trial with no credit card needed for the trial. They are a bit "wonky" in some of their layout and ways to do things. However, for $49.99 a month they are well worth if for my wife and I. Just need internet service to use it. You can watch on a TV, phone, computer, etc. Not sure how many at a time but at least two. No equipment needed.

Although they do have a referral system where if someone gets 5 or more people to sign up, that person gets the service for free as long as those 5 remain subscribers. I AM NOT SOLICITING NOR ASKING ANYONE TO SUBSCRIBE THROUGH ME!!!!! I am only passing on what I have found and feel it is great value.

Eyestream TV
Since the movie channels alone exceed the cost of what you are paying I would question if this is a legal service. Enjoy it while you can.

Yeah, that service sounds super sketch, the design of the website kind of seems very much what I'd expect of a not so legit service too.

The weird thing is, they're in the Roku store. I thought Roku kept pretty tight control over what apps they hosted.

Be careful with these sketchy services, years ago when hacking satellite was a thing the providers sued to get them shutdown and once they had the customer list, they sued everyone that had purchased from them.

Just 3 weeks ago I heard about a streaming service which provides several hundred channels. They include local and national. There are 56 channels which can be recorded and older shows less than 7 days replayed. The service for $39.99 does not include the recording or "lookback" but the $49.99 service does. Both packages also include Showtime, HBO, Encore, and numerous other movie channels.

I signed up and have been using the service since then. They allow a 2 day free trial with no credit card needed for the trial. They are a bit "wonky" in some of their layout and ways to do things. However, for $49.99 a month they are well worth if for my wife and I. Just need internet service to use it. You can watch on a TV, phone, computer, etc. Not sure how many at a time but at least two. No equipment needed.

Although they do have a referral system where if someone gets 5 or more people to sign up, that person gets the service for free as long as those 5 remain subscribers. I AM NOT SOLICITING NOR ASKING ANYONE TO SUBSCRIBE THROUGH ME!!!!! I am only passing on what I have found and feel it is great value.

Eyestream TV
Good post for someone who would not "Cut the Cord" If your going to spend $50 a month for programming you should find it ok.
Thats $50 for programming+ $80 for Internet = $130 of a typical cable bill around here in SC

We cant possibly watch everything we want paying $20 for content + $50 = $70 for for our recently acquired TMoble Home Internet..

Im only throwing the internet price in there because if you bundle with cable you might come close to the price of eyestream and internet with your local cable TV company and with that you will get more local programming, doesnt matter too much how many channels you may get because, I dont know, for my wife and I we only have a couple hours at night (if that) to sit down and watch TV and have a ton of things we want to watch @ $20 a month that we never get a chance to.

It is interesting, wonder how long it will last, maybe forever, who knows, people dont understand the HUGE markup in the cable and satellite industry. They pay pennies on the dollar for programming they sell to you at 100s percent higher for each dollar. The profit margin is in the stratosphere, now some rinky dink, maybe overseas investors come in and possibly legitimately come in and stream it to you, cost them almost nothing compared to cable companies and satellite companies maintaining infrastructure and happy investors on Wallstreet.

Last edited:
Back