Copper Tubing Cutter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cut a lot of copper tube. Currently I use a standard (but very nice) tubing cutter. It's a slow process.

I need ideas for production chopping (2.5") lengths of 3/4" Cu tubing. I don't have a lathe. And no a saw won't be a good idea.

Milwaukee makes an M12 cordless tubing cutter that works pretty well. I've gotten good service from mine.

How about a bx cutter like an electrician uses? I've seen and used an older one that cut very easily in galvanized steel so copper would be a breeze as long as it doesn't load the blade.

Milwaukee makes a 12 lithium powered unit that cuts up to an inch, and Ridgid makes a bench unit that cuts even larger.

I guess the question is, how many cuts do you need to make and how much is it worth spending?

I got the Milwaukee cordless tubing cutter.It works great for home plumbing and does 3/4 inch but i don't think it would hold up well in a production environment.
I do a lot of plumbing in my buildings but its not a daily thing,its held up well for the last 2 yrs.

As someone else posted it sound like you need something like the rigid floor unit.Maybe ebay used?

I just ordered this:

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/tools/cordl...-cutter/2471-22

Per the recommendations. I make about 100 cuts per week - if that kills the thing, I'll use the warranty.
grin2.gif

I'm been whacking my tube for days now. That cutter is great. Takes a few practice runs to keep it on the mark and clamp and release and such, but dang it cuts quickly and nicely. Already paid for itself in time saved!!

Thanks BITOGIANS!

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I'm been whacking my tube for days now.

Eating graham crackers will allegedly curb that practice.

"The Graham cracker was originally marketed as "Dr. Graham's Honey Biskets" and was conceived of as a health food as part of the Graham Diet, a regimen to suppress what he considered unhealthy carnal urges, the source of many maladies according to Graham. Reverend Graham would often lecture about the adverse effects of masturbation or "self-abuse" as it was commonly called at the time." Wikepedia

Dare we ask what your copper/silicone hose enterprenuerial venture is?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back