Cooper Evolution HT

Anyone with experience with the Cooper Evolution HT series?
Supposedly they won a new product award at SEMA a few years back.
Considering them for my GMC 1/2 ton 4x4. Strictly highway and no off road travel.

I have no experience with this particular tire. However, the tread design is very similar to the old Cooper CS3 Touring tires. The CS3s were very good tires. I had a set on a 2006 Hyundai Tucson. I would imagine that Cooper just did some tweaking and improved the load limit for the Evolution H/T. They will likely serve you well in everyday driving. If you do a lot of towing, I would look for something else.

I do occasionally tow a 3,800 lb boat. Usually twice a year. Service and cleaning etc. The Michelin Defender would be my preference but just not in my budget. Saw the Continental TerrainContact HT and they are priced similarly to the Cooper but don’t know much about those either. Trying to avoid another set of Goodyear Wrangler SRA tires. Quiet (Initially) but short lived...

Last edited:
I have the Cooper Evolution Tour currently on my Equinox. They replaced the OEM Michelin Latitude that came on the vehicle. I have almost 16,000 miles on the tires now and they are overall better than the Michelin. Quieter, ride better. Steering response is virtually the same. Wet weather performance is OK. They will spin from a start on a wet/damp road, and can get squirrelly if you go too quickly in to a curve or turn on a wet road. Snow performance is adequate, I am sure the AWD on my Equinox helps somewhat with regards to that.

Treadlife has been OK. They started with 9/32" when new, and are down to about 6/32" on all 4 corners now after 16,000 miles.

I would definitely buy Cooper tires again, although I would probably go for a tire in the Discoverer line next time.

If we had your exact tire size, that would help. Normally, light truck tires have three load ratings. The P-Metric tires are S load rated and XL load rated. Tires with the LT prefix are normally E load rated. The E load rated tires are usually 6 ply tires designed for towing and heavy hauling. The Cooper tires may fill your need. Toyo has the Open Country H/T that is a good tire for the money. Hankook makes the Dynapro H/T and it’s another good choice for the money. Cooper makes Mastercraft Tires and their Stratus H/T may be just what you are looking for.

Last edited:
That helps. The 275/55/20 is XL load rated. That’s a good thing. You will be fine with any of the tires that I listed. My current F-150 has the same size tires. My previous 2014 F-150 had the same size tires. I bought the 2014 used and it came with the Mastercraft Stratus AP tires. Those were some good riding tires. However, they were not a dedicated highway tire. They were more of an all purpose or all terrain. The 2014 F-150 was a 4x4.

Trouble is the closest tire store selling Mastercraft is 30+ miles away. I have an NTW and Discount Tire within 5 miles of home. Tire rotations and puncture repairs are more convenient when stores are closer. Dont mind trading with an independent shop but there are very few around here.

Okay. Discount Tire has several decent tires for a good price. It looks like the Cooper will work for you. DT also has a General Grabber HT 60 that would work. If you are set on the Cooper, get them.

There are PLENTY OF REVIEWS around the web that suggest the Evolution is a decent tire. I have a 2018 Silverado-I'm coming up on 30,000 miles and the Goodyear LS tires are just about shot. The Evolution is on my very short list. BTW-check out Walmart.com on the price.

Any "P-rated tire can handle a 3,800 pound boat. I tow a 30 foot -5,000 pound travel trailer with the OEM "P-rated" tires with my SIlverado. The only difference is when towing they are aired up near (but not to) maximum inflation. As a rule-I buy "XL" rated ties-but "P's" do work fine.

Trouble is the closest tire store selling Mastercraft is 30+ miles away. I have an NTW and Discount Tire within 5 miles of home. Tire rotations and puncture repairs are more convenient when stores are closer. Dont mind trading with an independent shop but there are very few around here.
Can you talk with them about sourcing that tire for you? In the past I have gotten them to order tires they didn’t carry. It was not a Mastercraft branded tire though. It was Continental. This was at Discount Tire

Took Tahoe to Discount Tire.
Changed factory Michelin 265/65-18 for Cooper Evolution 275/65-18 (45k) … Smooth riding tire …

63FAE204-A668-44EE-B8BE-64A830D7FBD5.jpeg
1C08E20F-7260-443D-8014-91D2EB23905D.jpeg
6A62DFD9-8EA6-45BF-BEA7-E02A7C732AB2.jpeg

Replaced the OEM Bridgerocks (I kid) on my wife's 2018 Honda Pilot EX-L w/AWD in favor the the Cooper Evolution H/T...When I drove it home both the ride, and noise level was noticeably better.

I like Coopers - been using them pretty much exclusively the last few years. Great tires and priced right at Discount Tires

Reactions: 4WD
Back