Coop Sonic XL 0w30 - Western Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than a topic I started a couple of years ago, I haven't read much, if anything, about this product here or anywhere. The spec sheet is a bit sparse, so I called Federated Coop to obtain additional information. On paper, it looks good, particularly for our harsh winters.

In addition to the spec sheet, the Federated Coop rep provided me with some additional information:

"100% PAO based synthetic gasoline oil"
VI: 171
Pour Point: -60 degrees C
CCS (-35 C): 3,880
MRV (-40 C): 13,851
HTHS: 3.04
NOACK: 9.1%
TBN: 8.5

At $8.65 per litre, the price is comparable with WalMart's offerings and Amsoil's Signature Series. It is a bit more pricey than Mobil Delvac Elite 0w30, available of course at Imperial Oil/ Esso distributors. I grabbed six litres of the Coop oil and am going to run it in my F150 Ecoboost this summer.

The Federated Coop rep told me that they purchase their group 4 base oil from Chevron in the U.S. for use in their synthetic and synthetic blend products. He also mentioned that while their higher volume products are certified, it is not economical to certify this particular product. As such, it "meets the performance" of SN and GF-5.

Anyway, I thought some of the Western Canadian's (Clevy, Garak, Sir1900, etc.) might find this interesting.

The specs for this product can be found in this document (please remove if I'm not allowed to provide the link):

https://www.coopconnection.ca/wps/wcm/connect/1d40e050-bbf0-4288-84af-6e1cad9428a2/Lubricant+Petro+Specs%5B1%5D.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

It definitely looks fine and the price is decent. I wouldn't be terribly worried about it not really being SN/GF-5. After all, Delvac Elite 222 0w-30 misses the GF-5 part, and if someone is trying to follow their manual to the letter, there aren't a lot of vehicles calling for an SN/GF-5 0w-30. I'd use it without question.

The price isn't bad, but they do get spanked by some of the Delvac offerings. Considering that Coop treats this as a bit of a niche product, that's not a big surprise. It is a better price, however, than just about every regular priced synthetic on retail shelves here.

100% pao?

Co-op has a 0w-40 diesel oil that's supposed to be 100% pao too. That's what it says on the bottle anyways.

I bought a 5 fallen pail of the 0w-40 for my forklift about 2 months ago. I got it for less than Walmart sells rotella conventional for. Starts a lot easier in the cold now.
Isn't 100% supposed to be bad though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back