Coolant stop leak additives

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBM

I seem to have a small leak somewhere, not sure where. It appears to be coming from the front by the raidiator. The raidiator is new, put in before i purchased the vehicle.

So is there any stop leak that is decent, and available at AA or AZ that can get me by for a month or 2?

if you have a rad that is leaking, a product such as Alumaseal or Bars Leak tablets may help out. GM actually packages the bars leak in their own packages, so if it is endorsed by them for use in their vehicles, it is prob pretty safe.

If it was me, I'd make an effort to identify where the leak is actually coming from and fix it. It could be something as simple as a loose hose clamp or a leaking radiator drain valve. OR it might be a rock strike to the radiator core, a bad hose, bad waterpump, etc. I agree with the earlier poster who stated the stop leak products for cooling systems generally just make a mess and sometimes can help clog your heater core and other small coolant passages in the engine.

If the radiatior is new, see if it can be fixed under warranty.

If not, I've used Bars Stop Leak with success.

Using stop leak (excessively) can clog your tiny heater core passages and in general, makes a mess of your cooling system if you certain types of stop leaks. Use it at your own risk...I personally don't use the stuff-I fix what is leaking. That comes from 20+ years of experience working on engines and cooling systems.

Originally Posted By: JBM
I seem to have a small leak somewhere, not sure where. It appears to be coming from the front by the raidiator. The raidiator is new, put in before i purchased the vehicle.

So is there any stop leak that is decent, and available at AA or AZ that can get me by for a month or 2?
Check the hose clamps for tightness. Check the hoses for splits. I've seen many people start ripping stuff apart when the problem was just a loose hose clamp or split hose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back