Coolant - Little Low

04 Camry - Drained the coolant into a bucket through petcock. I filled up with new Zerex 50/50 a gallon, but I think I'm a little low.
Should it be filled up to top of neck fill tube? I tooker' for a rip and it took awhile for heat to come on but it did. Resevoir was out.

Could I add a little distilled water I should I bite the bullet and get another Zerex gallon and drain again in Spring.

I've only drained coolant a few times so not sure. Let me know.

Just chattin', don't get mad, correct my spelling...:)

I tooker' for a rip and it took awhile for heat to come on but it did. Resevoir was out.

I4 or V6? But, either way, I've never seen a Toyota/Lexus with either of those engines not get to temp very quickly. You may want to check thermostat. If it's stuck open or just lazy, the winter weather coming will exacerbate the problem.

V6 - Yeah it does get up to temp quick.

I'm not great...is that something I can do...check the thermostat? Hard to get to?

I removed the air filter box to facilitate access to thermostat. Removed the pipe between hose and thermostat housing. It seals with an O ring and they can lose resiliency over time and leak. Order a thermostat, gasket and O ring from Toyota dealer. I wouldn't use aftermarket parts. Go for it.

Do you have a Lisle coolant funnel? The Lisle funnel makes it so easy to bleed the system and get all the air out :)

V6 - Yeah it does get up to temp quick.

I'm not great...is that something I can do...check the thermostat? Hard to get to?

Oh, I misunderstood. I thought you meant the engine heat took a while.

Google "toyota blend door actuator" and you will find videos on how to do this. It's easy. It might not be your car exactly but most all of them c.2000+ have the same basic layout. The third screw against the firewall is difficult to access so have a short #2 stubby screwdriver IIRC.

I wouldn't worry about the thermostat yet, but if it starts coming up slow then check the t-stat. It's not hard on this motor at all (as described). And I agree, use a stock one or very high-quality equivalent. The cheaper aftermarket ones are no where near as robust - btdt (03 Lexus w/same engine).

Get a gallon of concentrate. Flush your system with distilled water. Look at the total system capacity and put in half of that in concentrate. Then top off with distilled water. Running a few gallons of distilled water doesn't take that much time and coolant changes are so infrequent that I would recommend flushes and not just drain and refills. =/

Goodness I wouldn't suspect a leak yet. It's common for coolant to drop as the air you let in when you emptied it is displaced with new coolant. Fill it back up with 50/50. Check it every day because you may need to add more. If it's still dropping after a few days then you may have a leak but that would be quite the coincidence.

Back