Coolant for 2008 Chevy Silverado

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the input, guys. I stopped by NAPA today, and picked up two gallons of their housebrand Dex-cool orange antifreeze. They don't carry the Zerex or Havoline flavors. I also picked up 2 gallons of distilled water at the grocery store. Thanks again.

On our 2006 GMC with 6.0 engine we drained and filled with Prestone Dexcool last year for the first time. The original coolant still looked like new and the Prestone looks good still.

We routinely run our Dex vehicles to cooling system failure now on the advice of an actual G team guy from GM.

This is normally around 250k miles. Never a peep out of any of our vehicles which include Silverados with sealed bottles and Savanas with open bottles.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
We routinely run our Dex vehicles to cooling system failure now on the advice of an actual G team guy from GM.

This is normally around 250k miles. Never a peep out of any of our vehicles which include Silverados with sealed bottles and Savanas with open bottles.

I know you've posted this before, but out of curiosity, how long does it typically take to accumulate that many miles?

Which why I always say that whatever problems someone with Dexcool may have had it's not because they didn't change it more frequently than even recommended.

I think Dexcool actually has an ultimate service life of about 10 years or 200-300k miles. If the Japanese coolant service life is rated 10 years (although only 120k miles and 5y/60k after the 1st change which makes little sense)than surely Dexcool could go longer than 5 years.

Originally Posted By: bigmike

I know you've posted this before, but out of curiosity, how long does it typically take to accumulate that many miles?

Typically we run a vehicle from 60-80k miles per year.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx

Which why I always say that whatever problems someone with Dexcool may have had it's not because they didn't change it more frequently than even recommended.

I think Dexcool actually has an ultimate service life of about 10 years or 200-300k miles. If the Japanese coolant service life is rated 10 years (although only 120k miles and 5y/60k after the 1st change which makes little sense)than surely Dexcool could go longer than 5 years.

This is in line with what a trusted GM technician tells me as well. The service manager at my GM dealer does not recommend touching the system until 100k miles, but I couldn't get them to hammer down a time frame. I went ahead and did 2 drain/fills on my truck at the 5.5-6 year mark (going by the build date), but it looked crystal clean after 50k miles.

I suspect that recommendations MAY change for other applications, but not because of any Dexcool flaws per say. It has taken me a long time to believe the evidence, especially because of the difficulties of the GM intake gasket issues. It is unfortunate for GM that those occurred because it has tainted many people's view of a good product.

Yes, people blame prior Dexcool issues on the coolant, or the service interval, when it was the gasket type used or cooling system that didn't keep air out and the level full was to blame. Yet many other applications run the same Dexcool way over 5 years and never have any issues. This proves it isn't Dexcool or the service interval to blame.

Dexcool service interval is 5/150k miles which is conservative. But both time and milage counts. So if you have 5 years and say 40k miles or any milage under 150k miles the recommendation is to change it. Coversely if you have over 150k miles but less than 5 years the recommendation is to change it.

The assumptions are that you will do a complete change over, use decent water, and get at least 50% concentrate. Under those assumption Dexcool's service life truely is underrated and could go longer and still protect.

It's not a bad idea to stay in the 5y/150k mile change interval, but exceeding it isn't what was causing gumming on certain models.

HD application run coolant pretty much similar to Dexcool for 300k miles and then add an extender and go 600k miles. Diesels would be more demanding on coolant than gas passenger vehicles. Although they may see 600k miles in around 5 years.

35.gif

My vote for the most Pro-Dex-Cool thread ever on BITOG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back