Coolant flush/ cleaning on a neglected 2002 F350 V10

Nice job, but...

1) How did you dispose of 30+ gals of waste coolant?

2) Would it have been more efficient to replace the tank and radiator, then refill with new coolant? If you were not experiencing any problems, what is the point of cleaning the system?
Point of cleaning the cooling system is I am doing three round trips of 2200 miles each way, hauling a fully loaded dual axle trailer, eight foot wide, 22 feet long and seven feet high. Hauling from the mountain west area to the southeast. Lots of terrain, and heat, and WIND. Need to take proactive steps to reduce likeliness of a failure, and overheating is a issue.

When I moved to the mountain west had a coolant temperature sensor failure towing a trailer on I80 in Wyoming on a Saturday afternoon. Very tough sensor to replace and it puts the engine in limp mode. Not a fun thing on a Saturday afternoon.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Getting fuel at the beginning of the journey and decided to check the oil. This is what I found (have to look closely at the pictures).

Could not get a replacement reservoir- drove 2200 miles with zero issue and a open seem in the reservoir.

PXL_20210524_225101344.jpg
PXL_20210524_225109927.jpg
PXL_20210524_225104448.jpg

Very complete flush great job. How many gallons of coolant does a 350 V10 take to get the proper mix?
Sorry for the delayed response. Non 50/50 mix is two gallons of coolant and two gallons of distilled water.

I had a pile of those overflow bottles that had leaking seams right out of the box. It got to the point where we were just telling people to get the Mishimoto one until Ford could figure it out.

1)My late sister was an environmental chemist and told me it was OK for coolant to go down OUR sewer but I'll check.
Either way, wouldn't it be ironic if coolants dissolved the toilet's wax ring?

2) My pal had a dribble of some swimming pool pump cleaner. The label was gone. The little bit he had cleaned his dirty reservoir to snowy white brightness. It was AMAZING I never have been able to find the stuff

3) Can someone tell me what concentration of citric acid is used in a cooling system flush? I assume it'd be a pound of citric acid powder.

Vinegar is acidic acid (from acetous fermentation of wine, beer and other grains) not citric acid.
I've used bleach, abrasive cleansers and ammonia repeatedly to get these things cleaner if not perfect.

Back