Coolant Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do they make coolant filters for passenger cars like that do for OTR trucks? Or someway of adapting into a current coolant system to add the removable filter.

Baldwin makes one that you can tee into one of the heater hoses, you will find the part no. on the Baldwin site. You can purchase one from Grainger. There have been previous postings on this subject in this forum, a search will give you lots of info, including the part no..

I took a quick look at the Donaldson link and they list SCA (Supplemental Coolant Additive) Coolant Filters .. These are intended for large Diesels and are designed to time release SCA’s .. You wouldn’t want to use one of these on a gasoline engine..

I have a Baldwin B5134 with a CFB5000 mounting base on my Duramax. (see pics) There is also a short version – B5089 .. The B5134 is the non-SCA type that’s intended to be changed annually .. They sell for about $7-8 each … IIRC the base was around $20. They can be plumbed as a bypass across the heater core hoses using tee’s. There are other in-line types people have used .. as George said do a search in this forum for more info.

smile.gif

Quote:

I took a quick look at the Donaldson link and they list SCA (Supplemental Coolant Additive) Coolant Filters .. These are intended for large Diesels and are designed to time release SCA’s .. You wouldn’t want to use one of these on a gasoline engine..

Thanks for the information. Whats the reason not to use SCA's in a gasoline engine?
cheers2.gif

Quote:

Thanks for the information. What’s the reason not to use SCA's in a gasoline engine? ...

Some one here can maybe explain this better but the SCA's in these filters are designed to prevent cavitation in Diesel Engine Coolant .. In particular Diesel’s with "wet Sleeves" are susceptible to perforation of the cylinder wall by cavitation "bubbles" that form in the coolant (like the bubbles that form around a boat propeller blade) .. when these bubbles form and then quickly collapse due to the high vibration levels in a diesel engine, they can actually pit the surfaces they form on … i.e. coolant side of the cylinder walls, water pump impellers, etc .. The SCA’s help prevent the formation of these bubbles ..

Not all Diesels are susceptible to cavitation .. i.e. the GM 6.6L Duramax is not which is I why used a non SCA coolant filter (B5134) .. The SCA’s used by Baldwin are also not compatible with DEXCOOL …..

For more info try a Yahoo or google search for “diesel coolant sca”

Here’s one example …

Cavitation, SCAs and the Proper Maintenance of Diesel Engine Cooling Systems

smile.gif

Check out this link ...

http://www.filtercouncil.org/techdata/faqs/faqhdcool.htm

"Q: Should I consider using coolant filters on gasoline engines?

A: Yes. The overall up time and usability of gasoline engines can be greatly increased by treating the coolant systems used with gasoline engines the same way diesel systems are. Due to the total capacity of most gasoline engine coolant systems, the use of a liquid SCA and an additive free filter is recommended.

Q: Can I use a liquid SCA in either a gasoline or diesel engine with no coolant filter?

A: Yes. However we do recommend the use of an additive free filter on all coolant systems to remove all solid and liquid contamination. Coolant system maintenance should always be done as a complete package to be most effective"

I have not figured out exactly how to locate items on search feature, but am I correct in assuming that I can just break the heater hose (either side) and route to inlet and outlet of filter base?

Quote:

I have not figured out exactly how to locate items on search feature, but am I correct in assuming that I can just break the heater hose (either side) and route to inlet and outlet of filter base?

No, the filter is plumbed as a bypass -- the filter inlet goes to a tee on the heater core input hose and the filter outlet goes to a tee in the heater core output hose. The pressure differential across the heater core will force coolant though the filter.

Iam currently treating my car and truck with Pencool which are the same SCAs your talking about. My last truck a 1994 Dodge Ram with a 360 and 120000 miles and the inside of the radiator looked like new. You have to monitor it with test strips. You can buy the stuff at any heavy truck dealerships. Pencool and the test strips, works great and will prolong your coolant for the life of the car with proper maintence.

Quote:

is the coolant bottle able to keep up with the flow?

Sure. It's a closed system on the Ford. No radiator cap and the bottle is under cooling system pressure and tees into the lower radiator hose. All fill/refill is added to the bottle. I was hoping to cycle the fluid in the bottle a bit more to try to capture the normal bottle sediment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back