Coolant color has changed to light brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
2009 Rogue AWD. 52,000.
Looked in the coolant reservoir and noticed the color wasn't blue like it should be. I haven't looked at the coolant in at least 6-8 months so I have no idea how long it's been like this.
Here is what it looks like, it's a very light brown.
kTIPfwB.jpg

I just changed the oil today to see if there was any coolant in there and it was fine. I have checked my oil level often and it never lost any oil.

2 weeks ago I did use condenser cleaner on the condenser and then sprayed it with the hose to clean off. I don't know if that could cause this.

Checked all the hoses and nothing is leaking anywhere.

For the last week or so I have heard a quick squeal a handful of times when I turn right or am just going down the road.

Any help would be appreciated

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I'd be draining or flushing that out ASAP.

I was thinking the same thing, but what if it just comes right back?

Temps are fine. Same as always.

I will dump it.

Could a failing water pump cause this?

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Send it in for coolant analysis, don't guess.

I totally agree, 25 bucks may reveal any serious problems.

Originally Posted By: DarylZero
I was thinking the same thing, but what if it just comes right back?

It's unlikely to come back if you switch to a different brand and color.

I use the Prestone Dexcool (with distilled water) and that stuff remains pink forever.

Dump it right away. Send in a sample. Flush until the water runs clear, and then refill with Nissan blue.

Where can I send a sample? Blackstone doesn't do coolant analysis.

Is there anything I can buy to get test results right away?
Thanks!

Has anybody other than you worked on it in that time period? Coolant completely losing its tint is a bit baffling unless it has been swapped out for something else.

No I am the only one who has worked on it.

I know its very baffling!

The only thing I can think is that someone else suggested the water pump may be failing (perhaps rust got in that way) since for the past 2 weeks I've heard a squeal when driving or turning right every so often. Sometimes it doesn't happen for a day or two, then it happens twice in a day.

I'd call your local nissan dealer and ask to speak to one of the mechanics and then ask them if they've ever seen it before.

I wonder if heat is altering the color. +1 with checking with a Nissan dealer. Or send the coolant out for analysis and see what they say.

I am going to flush it out tomorrow morning, question, is there anything you recommend to add to help flush everything out?

Originally Posted By: DarylZero
I am going to flush it out tomorrow morning, question, is there anything you recommend to add to help flush everything out?

I wouldn't use any additives. Just flush it with water until it runs clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back