Coolant and ATF fluid changes on Toyota

Status
Not open for further replies.
We ran the T-IV in our '03 4Runner to 100k miles per the book. It looked fine on the stick just before replacement. 140k miles odo now and still shifts like new.

My neighbor had a recently-deceased Dodge extended body van which he ordered new. He never ever changed the tranny fluid. The van died with 540k miles on the odo. The whole drivetrain, all original and never wrenched was still operational, but the front suspension collapsed near his home so he junked it.

Some AT's are 'dirty' and need frequent fluid changes, and some are not.

i do a drain and fill on my camry every 30,000km / 20,000 miles. T-IV.

Collant, factory fill after 50k miles. I will elave it int here till 100,000k miles, then every 50km iles after that. Toyota coolant is good stuff.

I have used the Amsoil ATF on multiple vehicles and multiple manufactureres and never have done a flush before introducing the Amsoil, never have had an issue either. In fact, I have never had a flush done on any vehicle, just drains and fills with a filter very rarely, My 92 Camry has 203,000 miles and drain and fills every 30000 or so with Amsoil still original transmission. Used it on Toyota, Nissan, GM, Ford, Izusu.

Originally Posted By: Spector
I have used the Amsoil ATF on multiple vehicles and multiple manufactureres and never have done a flush before introducing the Amsoil, never have had an issue either. In fact, I have never had a flush done on any vehicle, just drains and fills with a filter very rarely, My 92 Camry has 203,000 miles and drain and fills every 30000 or so with Amsoil still original transmission. Used it on Toyota, Nissan, GM, Ford, Izusu.

i am thinking of doing the same - are you sure not flushing before amsoil change is OK? on first drani and fill you are looking at 70% TIV and 30% amsoil. it will be a long time before the amsoil dominates, and the two need to be compatible...

Crinkles, I noticed in your signature you list the Aisin U241E as your '05 Camry's transmission. If you have the inline 4 cylinder 2AZ-FE engine, I think you actually have the U250E tranz, unless the Camrys in Australia are different than America.

If you have the V6 engine, then the tranz is the Aisin U151E. Why do you think you have the U241E? Do you remember your source for the info?

If you indeed have the U250E like I think you do (unless the Camrys in Australia are different), then a drain and fill will get you close to 50 percent new liquid, perhaps 45 or 48 percent.

It's the '04 Camry 4 cylinder that uses the 4-speed U241E, but if you have the 2005 Camry as shown in your signature, then you should have the 5-speed U250E--unless things are different in Australia.

Last edited:
I just checked Wikipedia. It looks like the Austalian Camrys are different. They have the 4-speed, instead of the 5-speed.

From Wiki:

"In Australia and New Zealand, the 2002 to 2006 Camry is available in five different trims: the Altise, Ateva, Sportivo, Grande (2004 onwards), and Azura. The Altise, Ateva, and Sportivo are available with either the 2.4 L four cylinder or the 3.0 L V6 engine, whilst the Grande and Azura were only available with the V6. Only the Altise and Sportivo models could be fitted with a manual transmission — all other models are equipped with a four-speed automatic transmission.

"In 2003, the V6-powered Altise Sport model was introduced, which is basically the Altise model with the sports suspension that was fitted on the Sportivo and Azura models and was available in manual and automatic trasmission. The Australian and New Zealand Camry Sportivo corresponds roughly to the American Camry SE.
2004-2006 Toyota Camry Altise (Australia).
2004-2006 Toyota Camry (ACV36R) Sportivo (Australia).

"The Australian and New Zealand models were significantly different from the other Camry models around the world and had around 77% locally developed components to suit Australian and New Zealand roads and driving conditions. The brakes, body panels (which would only fit on the Australian made body and chassis), headlights, seats, radio antenna and suspension were all locally developed after 10,000 km of extensive testing in New Zealand under the supervision of Toyota engineers. Power output on the Altise Sport, V6 Sportivo and Azura models was 145 kW (194 hp) compared with the 141 kW (189 hp) of the standard V6 models due to a high-flow rear muffler."

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Billy007
I drain and fill the pink coolant every 2-3 years.

That's a big waste as a good vehicle should not destroy its coolant. It takes at least 5 years for most low price coolant to break down and about 10 years for the good stuffs to break down. Coolant is really a non-essential fluid if your car is not leaking. [censored], if you live in warm climate, water should be used to be environment friendly. Even coolant that is old still cool the car well since it is still liquid. The only concern is whether it would freeze up or not but most case it won't freeze up unless its property is completely gone and that is very rare. The coolant system is a close system; therefore, a non-leak car could run the same fluid for 15 years without much worry. Since coolant is cheap, I prefer the 5 years drain and fill, which replace only the portion of the fluid. Any flush would be a waste of money on a non-leak car.

Originally Posted By: Built_Well
Crinkles, I noticed in your signature you list the Aisin U241E as your '05 Camry's transmission. If you have the inline 4 cylinder 2AZ-FE engine, I think you actually have the U250E tranz, unless the Camrys in Australia are different than America.

If you have the V6 engine, then the tranz is the Aisin U151E. Why do you think you have the U241E? Do you remember your source for the info?

If you indeed have the U250E like I think you do (unless the Camrys in Australia are different), then a drain and fill will get you close to 50 percent new liquid, perhaps 45 or 48 percent.

It's the '04 Camry 4 cylinder that uses the 4-speed U241E, but if you have the 2005 Camry as shown in your signature, then you should have the 5-speed U250E--unless things are different in Australia.

yes as you've confirmed with wiki, I have the U241E and this is stamped on my comp,liance plate. however, the case of the transmission is stamped "U250" (no -E). I don't know if that means anything.

In any case I can't find my total capacity, maybe i'll have to check the haynes manual. once i have that i can plug it into that calculator thing a mgic

Originally Posted By: crinkles
i'll have to check the haynes manual.

I've been looking forward to getting the Haynes Manual, too. The last edition only covered up to the 2005 Camry, but the latest edition published just last month (on June 15) covers up to the 2006 Camry. Unfortunately, AutoZone and other stores don't have it yet. I might have to try that AllDataDIY site, too.

I guess the ultimate would be the factory manuals, but last time I checked the price for all 4 or 5 official Camry repair and service manuals from Toyota, the price was about $400. Ouch.

I've been looking forward to getting the Haynes Manual, too. The last edition only covered up to the 2005 Camry, but the latest edition published just last month (on June 15) covers up to the 2006 Camry. Unfortunately, AutoZone and other stores don't have it yet. I might have to try that AllDataDIY site, too.

I guess the ultimate would be the factory manuals, but last time I checked the price for all 4 or 5 official Camry repair and service manuals from Toyota, the price was about $400. Ouch.

I am sure you could get factory manuals online...
wink.gif

haynes only had the D&F capacity not toal. ANyone know what the U241E total capacity is?
the haynes manual can be good, makes for interesting reading, but sometimes they aren't all that great. some of it may even be generic (which is not necessarily bad) but still good money spent i think.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
According to Amsoil, the total fill for the 4 speed is 8.7 qts/8.2l

I have done an internet search and there is different caps for different uses.

ranged from 8.1 L to 9.1L

remembering there may be slight differences (e.g. pan shape etc) between US and australia. To be a conservative engineer I should prob use 9L total fill with 3.5L drain and fill

I've had a similar problem trying to determine the full capacity of the U250E. I found a range of figures online from about 7.3 quarts to 8.5 quarts. This last number (8.5 quarts) is suppose to include any possible differential, too, but the Camry uses a transaxle, which combines the functions of a transmission and differential into one unit. (Most of you probably know this.)

So I guess the U250E has roughly between 7.3 and 8.5 quarts. Maybe the factory manuals have the correct number listed, but PDF pages from the free online factory manual at CamryStuff.org show only the '02 Camry's info, not the '06 Camry.

I guess next step may be to try techinfo.toyota. com or the AllDataDIY web site.

Last edited:
work with 9 quarts and you'll be safe as houses.

with a 3.5L drain and fill from 9L total, i need 4.66 drains to get to 90% fresh fluid. call it 5.

Crinkles, the '02 Camry uses the U241E, so maybe the PDF pages at CamryStuff.org might be helpful to you. The factory manual there is from an '02 Camry.

work with 9 quarts and you'll be safe as houses.

with a 3.5L drain and fill from 9L total, i need 4.66 drains to get to 90% fresh fluid. call it 5.

If your intent is to exchange as much of the fluid as you can then why not try a cooler line flush? Doing 5 drain and fills sure sound tedious.

Originally Posted By: Ken2

There is a very easy way to test antifreeze. With the engine cool, put one probe of a digital voltmeter in the fluid in the radiator neck and the other probe on the battery negative terminal. If the voltage is in the 0.1 to 0.3 volts DC range, the corrosion inhibitors are good. If the voltage is 0.5 VDC or more, the fluid is due (or overdue) for a flush and renewal.

Sweet! I didnt know that. Gotta try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back